Author Topic: Home?  (Read 4671 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Home?
« on: 27 May 2018, 19:21:41 »

The recent couple of threads of members buying houses and relocating[good luck to them by the way and I hope all goes well for you]set me pondering about home.
I moved over to Sc***horpe 25yrs ago this year,in that time we flitted to different parts of town 3 times-all rented,however to me this is where I live but whenever I think of or mention home I mean my native Yorkshire where one day I shall return-either upright or more than likely as a bag of ashes.So for me home is different to where I live,how do others think?Is home where you actually live or is it-like me-somewhere else?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Home?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2018, 19:50:09 »

I've lived in Essex for 50 years, but HOME is still London. Once a Londoner..... :y

Ron.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2018, 20:04:24 »

"Home" to me is Yorkshire - North Riding to be precise.

I enjoy going back but the rural working hamlet we lived in 45 years ago has been sold and is now extended weekend retreats. That is the problem things change and usually for the worse.

I spent a huge chunk of my life in the East Midlands. That was a mean to an end.

I now live in Spain and to be quite honest it is my home. People talk to you in the street, people don't lock their doors or cars.  I do miss civilised stuff like proper |Internet. My ashes will be disposed of here.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2018, 21:05:17 »

After many moves throughout my life, thanks to the Royal Navy then retailing! I have learnt to treat where you actually live at that point in time as your true home.

Malta however will always be my spiritual home. 8) ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2018, 21:25:47 »

For many years I still thought of Belfast as home, but that lessened a lot when my Mum died in 2000, and any remnants disappeared completely when my Dad died four years ago. I will only go back there now to visit  my one lifelong friend. Family can far cough.
I have lived within about a mile of where I live now for the last 38 years and it kind of feels like home, but not completely.
It doesn't feel like a spiritual home, but nor does anywhere else.
I'm just a wee gypsy orphan I guess.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2018, 21:35:31 »

You're a vagabond, Albs!  :)
The happiest place/time in my unhappy childhood was where my paternal grandparents lived, adjacent to a farm in Wraysbury, Bucks. It is now under the Wraysbury reservoir, so no chance of ever seeing it again.  :(
Also, where I was born in the East End has altered beyond recognition - streets demolished, landmarks gone.
My past is just that - past.

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 21:42:45 »

Born and bred in a South Wales industrial town

Went to London in late teens, not with family, alone. It wasn't easy

London for oh . . . 45 years or so, made a living, gained a wife and family

Back to Wales but NOT my home town about 4 years ago

Original home town has changed so much it's no longer " home"

London home town, even after 40 years, never felt like "home"

Where I am now is my home. Probably, my last residence. Happy. I know more people after 4 years here, than after 40 in London.

The future . .  ? I'm flexible on that, but I don't envisage moving.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2018, 22:05:32 »

That is now the London experience, Mister Rog - nobody speaks to anybody. True, they may well not speak your language, but a smile is universal!
Back in my early years, post-war and when the streets were in black and white, we knew everybody in the street and all of their business (sometimes too much!), but it was very friendly and supportive.
Ah, sic transit gloria mundi..... :(

Ron.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2018, 23:13:59 »

I think once you leave your birth area you leave it behind for ever. There is a sort of "myth of return " but the reallity is that it's an era not a place that you hold dear.
My home village is gone now ,swallowed up by a sea of baby poo coloured  houses filled with families of no connection to my era of living there. I have zero affiliation to it now ,and since losing my last sister last month even Scotland has very little draw .
I moved away from that village in the mid seventies and have kept moving since . I always said I'd return but now I doubt it . I've very fond memories of places I lived in Scotland and England and now Ireland but none were or are home.
However , hopefully there's at least one more move to be had so who knows ...........

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2018, 01:13:58 »

I think you have it exactly right, Olympia5776 - it is ERA rather than area. The time when life was simpler, long before the PC nonsense and the alien invasion.
I still love London, but wish more Londoners spoke English!

London was more effectively policed by the Krays than the police, too. :y

Ron.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2018, 02:25:06 »

For SWMBO & I, home's where you make it.

My parents moved alot when I was growing up(property development) and were both from shit holes they wouldn't return to at any price. SWMBO worked her a$$ off to get out of her home town for the same reason- it was and remains, a dive (new BBC offices notwithstanding).

I think a lot of people are tethered by the geography & expectations of their upbringing. If I hada quid for everytime one of SWMBO's family told her She was"getting above herself" I could be retired at the ripe old age of 34 ::)

As long as we're together- that's home for me
« Last Edit: 28 May 2018, 02:29:54 by jimmy944 »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2018, 03:45:55 »

Born & bred in South London (Croydon) moved to Norfolk in 1987 & then to Lincolnshire in 1988 would never return to London but would love to relocate to Yorkshire at some stage.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2018, 07:07:07 »

That is now the London experience, Mister Rog - nobody speaks to anybody. True, they may well not speak your language, but a smile is universal!
Back in my early years, post-war and when the streets were in black and white, we knew everybody in the street and all of their business (sometimes too much!), but it was very friendly and supportive.
Ah, sic transit gloria mundi..... :(

Ron.

Didn't know you spoke Welsh      ;D   ;)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2018, 07:49:01 »

I don't think it's nostalgia/a longing for a bygone era/my youth in my case.The town I was born in-at the time was in the West Riding and now South Yorkshire-hasn't changed much at all[maybe a new housing estate but that's about it]would I actually return there?It would depend on circumstances of course but by choice I'd go for North Yorkshire so it's not an actual physical location that's home but simply Yorkshire.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2018, 08:54:30 »

It took me about 10yrs to call Brakkers truly my home, rather than just somewhere I lived. I think it finally came about when I revisited my childhood home of my beloved Aylesbury that I realised there was nothing left of what made that home, and, TBH, I didn't like it any more  :'(

Trouble with Brakkers is the town is dying , commercially. Last year was a sad one, when the old, traditional DIY store closed, but the Bone Idle generation makes those any sort of shops unviable.  I'm lucky, as our road has a great community spirit.

I still consider the place I was born as home as well, not that we can get anywhere near our flat, and I can't see the UN giving that up any time soon.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2018, 09:36:21 »

A few of my buddies from Aylesbury, including my bestie, have also moved hear around 2010ish, so I think Brakkers must have something going for it...

...and now Terbs is moving here. That'll lower the tone ;D
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2018, 10:30:02 »

Oh, thankyou TB....and there's me holding you in high esteem. I think it may be Gixer and H coming for Tiffin, now.
Brakkers is definitely a pulling point, as it means my financial situation will put me in 'Who's Who' ;D ;D ;D

On track.….I have only moved half a mile since I was born. However, I have nothing to keep me here any longer. Do I call it home ?? No....I don't think I do. I have a bigger social life in Dorset, where we stay for 6 months of the year. That's more like home to me. But as I know a lot of people in Brackley, I just have that feeling it will be more like home than where we are now.
Don't get me wrong, we have some super neighbours, and all those around have made it clear, they don't want us to move. Our road is one of those 'People never move jobs'.....in fact there are only a very small number that have been here less than twenty years. :(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2018, 12:50:16 »

Mister Rog, that phrase cannot be welsh, there are too many vowels in it!  :P

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2018, 15:17:54 »

If you have kids, remember that 'home' to them is where you lived when you had them. I still find it hard to remember that my son is a Yorkshireman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2018, 15:25:09 »

I still remember the time when people would travel from all over the world to Yorkshire so that if their soon to be offspring was a boy he'd then be eligible to play cricket for the county when he grew up :o

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2018, 15:28:03 »

Home is where the family is , once they've gone that's it , both my parents are no longer with us so I've just got no reason to return "home"  :(

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2018, 15:32:12 »

I still remember the time when people would travel from all over the world to Yorkshire so that if their soon to be offspring was a boy he'd then be eligible to play cricket for the county when he grew up :o
Scots guy I used to work with had to drag his 9 month pregnant wife back to Scotland so the kid wouldn't be English ! he was getting a lot of s**t from his family just to make sure the kid was born in Scotland  :o

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2018, 18:11:27 »

Most of my life I've lived in the Aldershot area. As a child in Ash, which I never liked for many reasons, and for the last 32 years in Sandhurst which is much better as it is a decent community, but sadly declining on that front where more people mix less and commute more. I've got a holiday home in a village in France and as a country boy at heart I could easily swap Sandhurst for village life and may do in the future, just don't know if it will be in the UK or abroad. I'm a very unsentimental person, so home is where I live now.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2018, 18:25:59 »

Home for me is the Surrey Hills... Two years in a house in Witley and then a bit later, seven years at boarding school in Witley.

Current house is the longest we have lived anywhere, been here since 2000 :o It's homely enough, and in a really nice spot. Moving from here will be a decision made by others and will depend on a lot of factors. But will probably be to one of four places: Norfolk Broads, New Forest, Orkney or abroad.

Oddly though, Gatwick Airport actually feels most like home, probably due to spending the bulk of my time there... :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2018, 21:01:17 »

I was born in Maldon but lived a stone's throw from Rods2 in Frimley from the age of 7 to about 27. I loved it there when growing up but moved to the Alton area and that's certainly where I call it home now.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2018, 21:04:41 »

Your an Essex boy Kevin ! You kept that quiet.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2018, 21:13:48 »

Home for me is the Surrey Hills... Two years in a house in Witley and then a bit later, seven years at boarding school in Witley.

Current house is the longest we have lived anywhere, been here since 2000 :o It's homely enough, and in a really nice spot. Moving from here will be a decision made by others and will depend on a lot of factors. But will probably be to one of four places: Norfolk Broads, New Forest, Orkney or abroad.

Oddly though, Gatwick Airport actually feels most like home, probably due to spending the bulk of my time there... :-\

Not tempted by Wales then ? We have nice sheep    ::)

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2018, 21:15:05 »

And, like Barnsley, a lot of house for little money.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2018, 21:18:46 »

I'm sure it's lovely, but  it's never appealed tbh
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2018, 10:59:35 »

Your an Essex boy Kevin ! You kept that quiet.  ;D
Maldon's the posh bit of Essex, though. I "forgot" about the few years I spent living in Billericay. Oh, and Colchester, actually. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2018, 17:11:20 »

I really like Wales, its beautiful, quiet and scenic :y

But I personally wouldn't want to live there. Certainly not at the moment.
Grumpy old man

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 May 2018, 20:24:29 »

And Tidy Wimmin and Dragons. And Rugby. and I'll tell you for why now in a minute.

I was brought up from 10 to 18 in the town I now live in, which is just North of Liverpool on the Coast.  I went to the midlands to a Polytechnic next to a 2 cathedrals (one bombed in the war and one built to replace it) Then I moved to Birmingham set up home with my wife who is also from the same town. My parents moved to Solihul so going back up North to my wife's family didn't feel like home.  In fact I always said I'd never live there.
Eventually we had children and somehow ended up back in the same street as my wife's brother.
We have been here since 1998 - 20 years. Neither of us actually want to live here. We can't afford the house we want to own because this town is overpriced, for various reasons. I have worked in the Midlands (Telford, Derby, Stoke and Wolverhampton) since 2009 and haven't seen more than 4 jobs I could do locally at a rate I'd be prepared to drop to.  So it would make sense if we moved somewhere in the Midlands.
It's just never going to happen.
Wife feels stuck, and obliged to stay to look after her parents. She has friends in the area, I don't.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2018, 22:08:20 »

Born near Haverhill and ended up in Bury st Eds. That,s 17miles, not very adventurous is it. :D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 May 2018, 22:15:09 »

I really like Wales, its beautiful, quiet and scenic :y

But I personally wouldn't want to live there. Certainly not at the moment.

They are very pretty sheep . . . . . .  :-*

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 May 2018, 22:16:12 »

Born near Haverhill and ended up in Bury st Eds. That,s 17miles, not very adventurous is it. :D

Don't worry. When I lived in Hinckley I knew an adult who had never been out of Leicestershire. They lived in Barwell. For them a major excursion was to go to Earl Shilton two miles away. Our next door neighbour had never left Britain - didn't see the need so didn't even have a passport.

Do you know everyone?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 May 2018, 22:17:17 »

Ah, but have you got the welly boots?  ;D

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 May 2018, 22:28:56 »

Just got back from Northumberland today. 900 miles in the old Desmond, never missed a beat. So i do manage to get around a bit. ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2018, 07:20:52 »

:y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 May 2018, 10:05:17 »

It took me about 10yrs to call Brakkers truly my home, rather than just somewhere I lived. I think it finally came about when I revisited my childhood home of my beloved Aylesbury that I realised there was nothing left of what made that home, and, TBH, I didn't like it any more  :'(

Trouble with Brakkers is the town is dying , commercially. Last year was a sad one, when the old, traditional DIY store closed, but the Bone Idle generation makes those any sort of shops unviable.  I'm lucky, as our road has a great community spirit.

I still consider the place I was born as home as well, not that we can get anywhere near our flat, and I can't see the UN giving that up any time soon.

I hear the street firework display is something to behold

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 May 2018, 17:37:14 »

Even ignoring the 6:30am ones of 4yrs, 11 months ago, we do have some pretty spectacular fireworks in the street. We all bung in £50 or so and someone buys some fireworks and burgers/bangers, drag out a couple of bbqs, and end up in a mucking fuddle.  Then we remember we need to set of some fireworks.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2018, 17:45:19 »

Even ignoring the 6:30am ones of 4yrs, 11 months ago, we do have some pretty spectacular fireworks in the street. We all bung in £50 or so and someone buys some fireworks and burgers/bangers, drag out a couple of bbqs, and end up in a mucking fuddle.  Then we remember we need to set off some fireworks.

So you went into the garage, and a new legend began...............

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2018, 17:57:56 »

Even ignoring the 6:30am ones of 4yrs, 11 months ago, we do have some pretty spectacular fireworks in the street. We all bung in £50 or so and someone buys some fireworks and burgers/bangers, drag out a couple of bbqs, and end up in a mucking fuddle.  Then we remember we need to set off some fireworks.

So you went into the garage, and a new legend began...............
I'm not sure Mrs TB has gotten over the last episode yet, so I'm trying to refrain from blowing up another...
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2018, 19:44:38 »

Even ignoring the 6:30am ones of 4yrs, 11 months ago, we do have some pretty spectacular fireworks in the street. We all bung in £50 or so and someone buys some fireworks and burgers/bangers, drag out a couple of bbqs, and end up in a mucking fuddle.  Then we remember we need to set of some fireworks.

Didn't realise you felt the need to wait to November the 5th? ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 May 2018, 19:49:33 »

Pre-1840's & the coming of the railways it was normal to venture no further than your village & local town unless you were Lord Opti rich and went of the Grand European tour, a hawker going from area to area selling your wares or in the armed forces. :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.