Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3041828 times)

05omegav6

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #8805 on: 22 October 2014, 16:50:22 »

Popped it on Ebay...  ::)

Should probably clean it now :-\

Ive been looking all day for a white omega on egay
Silly arse... ;D

I'll likely be buried in the Omega... ::)
« Last Edit: 22 October 2014, 17:01:24 by Taxi Al »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: 22 October 2014, 17:10:08 »

What's wrong with the Merc Al?  ???  :-\
Sod all work for it, inspite of advertising... and a firm I was doing alot of third party work for has bought two more cars and put their own drivers in them :-X So basically it's not a cost effective car for friday/saturday nights or town work...

I don't find it that comfortable either, if I'm brutally honest
:-\

I'm glad you told us that Al, as I had in mind the E-class as a potential replacement for the TD Estate in the future. :y

05omegav6

« Reply #8807 on: 22 October 2014, 17:22:56 »

Don't rule it out :y just be sure to try one with the orthopaedic, fully electric seat option :y

Mine only has partial electric seats and the lumbar adjustment is crap... Didn't have much choice personally due to colour/age restrictions. Buying for yourself, you should be able to go a bit older and further up the range to secure the better seats more readily :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: 22 October 2014, 17:27:40 »

Don't rule it out :y just be sure to try one with the orthopaedic, fully electric seat option :y

Mine only has partial electric seats and the lumbar adjustment is crap... Didn't have much choice personally due to colour/age restrictions. Buying for yourself, you should be able to go a bit older and further up the range to secure the better seats more readily :y

Thanks Al, I still hope to keep the TD for a long time yet. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: 22 October 2014, 18:56:03 »

Having used Taxi Al's airport services before (and recommend it :y), I have been a passenger in the Merc for "long enough" (Brakkers to Gatwick) to state that while its reasonably comfortable, reasonably specced, generally nice car, I found a cheaper, quicker, 15yr old Vauxhall was "as nice".

This for me made the Merc a huge disappointment, I was expecting much better.  And regulars will know I don't hold Mercs in too high regard to start with, so to be disappointed by one counts as a double disappointment.

There was nothing particularly wrong with the car, just nothing really great about it.

Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #8810 on: 22 October 2014, 19:29:15 »

Oh now that's unfair imo. Very nice interior. Much nicer place to be than an omega. Estate load bay is very well thought out, in fact there's some nice touches throughout the car.

Although I'd have to bow to your time in the it. I've only sat in it. I'd also hope Merc have moved on from their massive castor angle days.

05omegav6

« Reply #8811 on: 22 October 2014, 19:59:07 »

Oh now that's unfair imo. Very nice interior. Much nicer place to be than an omega. Estate load bay is very well thought out, in fact there's some nice touches throughout the car.

Although I'd have to bow to your time in the it. I've only sat in it. I'd also hope Merc have moved on from their massive castor angle days.
It takes me about 10 paces to straighten up when I get out of it... by comparison, the Omega Elite seats are like your favourite arm chair wearing your favourite shoes/slippers and wrapped up in a thermal onsie.

The nice touches in the load bay are standard fare these days, but very well executed, and things like the ambient lighting in the doors/dash are nice 'extras'.  Ignoring the fuel economy, it's pretty good to drive quickly, much like the Omega... All in all, it's plenty capable, but a bit of a white elephant (no pun intended ::)) for my current needs :-\

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: 22 October 2014, 21:35:07 »

The E Class is a nice car, but if you take the fancy gadgets away, it's not the most comfortable car in the world.
I would struggle to suggest anything better than the L322 Range Rover. It's a bit like an Omega, with careful maintenance it can be run cost effectively and is supremely relialbe. But, for Al a 4x4 is no good  :-\

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: 22 October 2014, 21:37:20 »

Emptied it of a whole load of crap..ready to be traded in tomorrow

05omegav6

« Reply #8814 on: 22 October 2014, 21:39:48 »

The E Class is a nice car, but if you take the fancy gadgets away, it's not the most comfortable car in the world.
I would struggle to suggest anything better than the L322 Range Rover. It's a bit like an Omega, with careful maintenance it can be run cost effectively and is supremely relialbe. But, for Al a 4x4 is no good  :-\
A shame, as Surrey are dumping a white '11 plate Disco at Woma tomorrow  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: 22 October 2014, 21:56:16 »

Oh don't get me wrong, its a nice enough car (ignoring that I don't like estates). I was just disappointed that a crappy old Omega was more comfortable, equally spacious in the cabin, equally good ride. The Merc E class is a prestigious, newer, executive car. Its certainly more up to date than the Omega. I just expected a bit more.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: 23 October 2014, 09:38:15 »

I don 't think much will beat an Omega on comfort. Weekend before last, I had reason to get back from my recent trip to Jockular land fairly promptly, so I got into the Omega and drove for 550 miles, stopping only to fill it up with fuel. (Had I not been too tight to use the tank of petrol that was sitting in the back, I could have done it without stopping). Got out and after a cup of tea I felt like I could get back in and do it again.

Last weekend I needed to dismantle a radio station, move a 1.5 tonne trailer to Kent then pick up my mum from hospital in central London. So, some fairly heavy lifting and shifting, then just as long "in the saddle", although much fewer miles covered, battling around the North Circular to Kent, then straight through central London and out the other side in horrendous traffic.

Not problem at all in the Omega. I don't know of another car I'd want to try that lot in.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: 23 October 2014, 09:45:01 »

I often get an E Class turn up for airport transfers and to be brutally honest, the rear seats are far from comfortable and possibly the worst of the various cars we get.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: 23 October 2014, 10:21:48 »

I don 't think much will beat an Omega on comfort. Weekend before last, I had reason to get back from my recent trip to Jockular land fairly promptly, so I got into the Omega and drove for 550 miles, stopping only to fill it up with fuel. (Had I not been too tight to use the tank of petrol that was sitting in the back, I could have done it without stopping). Got out and after a cup of tea I felt like I could get back in and do it again.

Last weekend I needed to dismantle a radio station, move a 1.5 tonne trailer to Kent then pick up my mum from hospital in central London. So, some fairly heavy lifting and shifting, then just as long "in the saddle", although much fewer miles covered, battling around the North Circular to Kent, then straight through central London and out the other side in horrendous traffic.

Not problem at all in the Omega. I don't know of another car I'd want to try that lot in.

I quite agree Kevin. Even at my advanced age, I still have no problem driving 200 odd miles in either of mine, and still feel comfortable after getting out. It is certainly the most comfortable car I have had since a Renault16 back in the 70's. :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: 23 October 2014, 12:03:48 »

Had the geometry sorted on Big Blue, drives superb now

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.