Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Interviews for jobs in lockdown  (Read 11917 times)

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
Re: Interviews for jobs in lockdown
« Reply #30 on: 19 June 2020, 22:35:44 »

Had a nice phone call this morning, from an agency I last spoke to in October last year. 
I have a contract waiting pending security clearance in Barrow in Furness. No interview required. No start date, because all security clearance is on hold.  But most likely October or November.
Hourly rate is enough to cover accomodation and petrol on a 3.2 MV6.  Might have to fit that tow bar ive had in the shed for 3 years, and buy a caravan to live in during the week. We will see.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 June 2020, 22:44:16 »

Good news  :y

I would probably find something to do as a stop gap just in case it gets pushed back ;)

Won't hurt to remain used to the idea of going to work...
Onanists always think outside the box.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 June 2020, 12:33:15 »

I would probably find something to do as a stop gap just in case it gets pushed back ;)

Definately. 

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 June 2020, 12:40:41 »

Definately.

Good news hopefully then, hope it all pans out well for you in these uncertain times.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 June 2020, 13:03:34 »

Definately.

Good news hopefully then, hope it all pans out well for you in these uncertain times.  :y

I started applying for permie jobs and saw 2 that I'd really be interested in, and put my all into the applications, so in the unlikely event that I got an offer on those, I might do some man maths.  It's not all about the hourly rate (although money is the primary reason to go to work) , but if they paid enough, I might change direction.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 July 2020, 22:36:36 »

So, 4 weeks ago I found out I've got a contract in Barrow. No interview required £45 an hour.
No start date, because SC clearance is taking forever.  But October to December.
I did the paperwork, and then 3 weeks ago I had a heart attack.  2 nights in Southport and then off to Broad green for an angiagram and a stent.
Last week I had to.go to A&E because heart rate was 38 at rest.  They took me off the beta blockers.
It's back to a more normal 50 at rest.
So I have 3 months at least to get back to full strength
. Gradually got to increase my exercise.
It's got me thinking about the whole point of life though.
Anyway, if a permie job came up close to home, I'd go for it.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2020, 08:23:52 »

Something like that would certainly set you thinking , life really is far too short, the pandemic made my mind up to retire completely from the Prison Service, I had every intention of carrying on until 2022 but after shielding for 12 weeks decided that it was simply not worth the risk. No regrets whatsoever miss some of my colleagues & the banter but not the job, hope you recover fully & wish you well on the job front but try to avoid any stress.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 July 2020, 20:42:03 »

Something like that would certainly set you thinking , life really is far too short...............

That is so true.

A bit of a back story coming but hopefully will add a personal facet to the needing/wanting/having to work once you reach a certain time of life.

As some know (but others not) I had a cardiac arrest on the outside lane of the local motorway whilst attending a 4 car shunt of an evening rush hour (Trafpol) in 2006.  Fortunately, I dropped dead 15 feet from the back doors of the ambo sent to the crash.  No memory of actually hitting the deck but I was jump started and awoke in the back with paramedics working on me and wired from top to toe.  I was just turned 48 years old.  5 stents and now medicated to the eyeballs for forseable time to come.

I medically retired in 2008 and the intervening two years or so found me in a bit of a dark place for a bit.  The forum did a great assist in getting my head squared up but life can still be a rollercoaster, mentally, even now.

What I did settle in my mind is that life, is, too short.

I got a wee job driving for a LR main dealer up and down the UK delivering cars.  No stress as such, minimum wage, driving nice cars to and from generally nice people.  Lasted 10 years then had enough.  Even prestige dealers chase the shillings to the detriment of honest customers.  I couldn’t continue to tell untruths to good people on why their car was late/not fixed/ripped off so told garage to stick it.

I now drive weekday mornings for a local dental lab, collecting and delivering false teeth and crowns etc.  Groundhog Day but it gets me up and pays for the shopping of a weekend.  No stress, take my time and I watch the seasons change.

I’m lucky that I have a police pension (all my own contributions, not a brass washer from HMG) but more importantly, I don’t ‘have’ to work. 

Took a lot of adjustment within the family circle and finances obviously but I feel so much better for it.

Bottom line is, do the sums financially, mentally and most importantly, gauge your time.

We walk this path once so best admire the view when you can.  No windows in a box!

Ps - hotel two one was the call sign for the company car I most enjoyed driving in my police time.  Around St. Andrews and the fishing villages of the east neuk of Fife.  A lovely part of the world that I would heartily recommend (see what I did there?) for a visit.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2020, 23:21:13 by hotel21 »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 July 2020, 20:57:28 »

Quite similar to the story of my lifelong best  friend. We both cam over to Essex together in 79, but he didnt setle and went back to Belfast in 1980.
Jobs were scarce over there at the time, so to my amazement he joined the RUC. A good contender for the worlds most stessful and risky job at the time. He loved the job and camaraderie that came with it.
In the early 90,s he keeled over in the Police station with a massive heart attack. Iirc he was just into his 40,s.
Medically retired not long after and took a job transporting light bulbs around in a van for an electrical distributor, just to stop himself going mad.
A few years later, his wife (a divisional commander in Belfast  police) retired and they bought a little wedding car busines, which they run in a non stressful way to suit themselves.
He used to be the most highly strung person I knew. He is now the most relaxed. His hobby is driving his restored Citreon 2cv very slowly around the local lanes.
Point being, he has also learned the lesson that life is too short and we need to take time to focus on really importent things, slow down, and take time to smell the roses, as it were.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2020, 21:00:03 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #39 on: 18 July 2020, 22:01:41 »

Thank you, both.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 July 2020, 09:28:23 »

Update time.

Had a phone call out of the blue from another contractor is worked with 5 years ago, and he's moved on a bit, gone into partnership and us 4 years into a start up company that does robotics for military and nuclear.
Needs a project manager, and to implement ISo 9001, both of which I can do.
He would be happy for me to start off 2 days a week (I'm thinking 4 mornings a week) from the middle of August, and ramp up to 4 days a week by end of October.
75% of the time remotely, the rest in the office.
Outside IR35 at a rate that's not much lower than going to Barrow in Furness, but commutable from my second home. 
Had a chat with Cardiac Rehab team and GP, and they are happy that as long as I don't do anything too strenuous or stressful, the gradual transition into full time, is a great opportunity. 
I've signed an NDA and I've got some stuff to read, before any thing is signed.
As an aside, I need to get my omega started and it will need a new exhaust before too long.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 July 2020, 11:28:05 »

Good news Mr POD!  :y

Take it steady though.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 July 2020, 12:04:32 »

That's good news. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 July 2020, 14:51:50 »

Fingers crossed  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 July 2020, 15:33:01 »

Great news but take it steady , everything happens for a reason take heed and the future will be rosy.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.