Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 19 Years ago today where were you ?  (Read 2480 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
19 Years ago today where were you ?
« on: 11 September 2020, 12:24:59 »

Remember it like yesterday 9 11,  I was at work in one of the prison workshops when one of the Officers who was on shop patrol told me of the events unfolding, viewed it on the news later that day absolutely gutted to see what these evil bastards had done.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Years ago today where were you ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2020, 12:40:34 »

I was on a Windows security course, in Cirencester, when the Aussie instructor walked back in after tea break and said what was happening...   ...was before the age of smartphones and instant news.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2020, 12:47:14 »

as we are British ....don't you mean 11/9  ;D
I was ripping out a back boiler and fireplace in a mates lounge, they had the TV on so we saw it unfold as it was reported on the TV

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2020, 12:49:42 »

I was at work, and everyone ended up watching it on the TV in the boardroom.
My Dad has mentioned the dread he felt when the radio announcer said they had an important news bulletin coming, and learnt that Kennedy had been killed. Although we didn't get the relief he as felt, as he'd expected to learn that someone had started WW3

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2020, 13:14:01 »

I was working in London at the time. A friend phoned told me what had happened and told me to switch the TV on if I didn't believe him.

I told him to STFU and to take less illegal substances.

When I did switch the television on the twin towers were still shown as standing, even though the reporter was saying they had collapsed.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2020, 13:22:49 »

On the ranges at Bisley for Police national championship.  Was stunned, as were the other 100 or so cops, who crammed into St George’s lodge bar to watch and listen on tv prior to dinner and awards ceremony.  Evening was kind of flat, tbh....

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2020, 13:34:21 »

I was at Heathrow checked in waiting to go to New York and then onto Bermuda. We watched the whole thing unfold on tvs at Heathrow. Bizarre time as I had just returned from Nigeria 2 days before and Air France had lost my luggage so I was a little delayed. Took us 3 hours to get our luggage retrieved from the New York flight. We went home and rebooked for Italy. We travelled again on Sept 11 2002 and plane to Strasbourg was empty.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2020, 13:59:06 »

I was living temporarily with my parents and when I saw the TV report and the second plane going in, I said to my Dad "This is a war like attack on the USA and will result in America going to war on whoever is behind it". He told me to "stop being so daft, it is nothing like that!"

How right I was with the reaction by the US once the terrorist organisation behind it, it's leader, and where they were based were identified. ::) ::) ::)

How many people have been killed as a result of that attack and the 'war' that followed?!

It was an attack almost getting on for being like the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour with what happened next.

None of us will forget 9/11, and many history books will continue to be written on it and what later transpired.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: 11 September 2020, 14:02:11 by Lizzie Zoom »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2020, 15:24:14 »

At home on a day off as it was my 50th birthday, big family "thing" planned for that night .... never happened ... work (RAF Aircrew) put us all on standby so no drinking, and didn't feel like it anyway ...   RIP all those who lost their lives.   :(

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2020, 15:46:42 »

I went to work that morning and switched on my portable in the office just as this all kicked of, sat glued to it for hours in disbelief really
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2020, 15:51:39 »

In Ukraine. Just got back to SWMBO's cousins house having driven back from a neighbouring town. About 4.15pm local time he greets us at the door by saying "America's at war!" Like many, thought it was probably an accident until the second strike on TV.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2020, 16:06:26 »

I was living temporarily with my parents and when I saw the TV report and the second plane going in, I said to my Dad "This is a war like attack on the USA and will result in America going to war on whoever is behind it". He told me to "stop being so daft, it is nothing like that!"

How right I was with the reaction by the US once the terrorist organisation behind it, it's leader, and where they were based were identified. ::) ::) ::)

How many people have been killed as a result of that attack and the 'war' that followed?!

It was an attack almost getting on for being like the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour with what happened next.

None of us will forget 9/11, and many history books will continue to be written on it and what later transpired.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I have now Googled that question and the result is over 500,000 deaths in all due to the various acts of war since 9/11 (as of the end of 2018) that can be argued to be all part of the USA response to that attack, which, regrettably, is still being added to. :'( :'( :'(

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/19/civilian-casualties-us-war-on-terror/

So with, it is calculated, 2,977 dying on 9/11, the casualties since, as with so many historic conflicts, has been so much greater than the initial loss of life.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2020, 16:11:13 by Lizzie Zoom »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2020, 17:17:55 »

Nottingham. As our company broadcast TV it was on live on monitors throughout the building.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2020, 18:54:47 »

Just another day at work , I went into Kenton housing office to get some keys for
an empty council house I had to check over , when they said a plane had crashed into the tower I just assumed it was a single engined Cessna or similar , how wrong I was  :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2020, 19:16:55 »

I had a day off work that day. We were just about to go out shopping when programmes were interrupted for a newsflash.
Spent the day watching the horror unfold, and recalling that exactly  a month before we had been stood at the top of one of the towers.
I can remember looking out of the windows at the yellow taxis like dinky cars and the people on the street looking like ants.
Its hard to comprehend that jumping out was the best option for a lot of poor souls.
I also recalled sitting in the little cinema on the top floor where you watch a helicopter ride above NYC, and the seats move as if you are in the helicopter.
At one point the helicopter is heading straight at the tower and then veers away at the last second. I did wonder if that was where someone got the idea from.
When we flew back we flew from Logan airport Boston. A bottle of TCP in one of our bags broke and caused a stink. The airport staff went berserk, the fire department were called and the luggage area sealed off, and ditzy blond Virgin check in girl had to be taken off to the medical room, claiming to be overcome by the fumes.  ::)
A month later the hijackers boarded a plane at the same airport, with their Stanley knives and no-one noticed a thing unfortunately.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.