Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to get number plates  (Read 3921 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to get number plates
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2012, 20:43:26 »

Are they all the same spec re construction? They all seem to peel off and bubble away from the Perspex in time.

Is it worth seeking out decent ones or shall I just go to Halfords...?

Intend to stick on with double sided pads.

Seriously, you want  to make this difficult? If so, then buy some off the internet/show supplier/expensiveautoparts.com/wherever.

Alternatively, take your V5, driving licence and a tenner to a local motor factor. Give them the details and they'll make the plate before you can drink your coffee. Get some 1"(ish) trim tape at the same time, and fit it in the carpark before you leave.

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2012, 20:54:49 »

Are they all the same spec re construction? They all seem to peel off and bubble away from the Perspex in time.

Seriously, you want  to make this difficult? If so, then buy some off the internet/show supplier/expensiveautoparts.com/wherever.

Alternatively, take your V5, driving licence and a tenner to a local motor factor. Give them the details and they'll make the plate before you can drink your coffee. Get some 1"(ish) trim tape at the same time, and fit it in the carpark before you leave.
Nick, I have to say. Did you mean to post that with such appalling tone?  ???

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2012, 21:47:29 »

Nick, I have to say. Did you mean to post that with such appalling tone? ???

Excellent, the frustration came through!

I've now spent more time reading this thread than I did sourcing my last number plate.

A friend of mine calls this sort of thing 'paralysis by analysis.'

It's become so easy to ask stuff on the internet that we get away from the fact that it's a simple, easy, cheap everyday job that a few years ago anyone of us would have just bought from our favourite local supplier.

One of the dangers of such a focused group like this is that we tend towards dogma rather than being really useful. And that really irritates me; so much that I've frequently not posted on threads where my current appalling tone would seem rather mild!

After all, I like it here.

Nick

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2012, 21:47:44 »

Pot calling kettle, pot calling kettle. Come in please. Over....

;D:y

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2012, 22:44:41 »

Pot calling kettle, pot calling kettle. Come in please. Over....

;D:y
fe@k off you ;D

Nick, I have to say. Did you mean to post that with such appalling tone? ???

Excellent, the frustration came through!

I've now spent more time reading this thread than I did sourcing my last number plate.

A friend of mine calls this sort of thing 'paralysis by analysis.'

It's become so easy to ask stuff on the internet that we get away from the fact that it's a simple, easy, cheap everyday job that a few years ago anyone of us would have just bought from our favourite local supplier.

One of the dangers of such a focused group like this is that we tend towards dogma rather than being really useful. And that really irritates me; so much that I've frequently not posted on threads where my current appalling tone would seem rather mild!

After all, I like it here.

Nick
Well that all depends, as kettle approach seems to work.

You'll note. The title. Best place...
Not the easiest. Or the simplest. Best. Ie. not the the cheap shite (that the local factors flog, I have since found) that bubbles up and leaves discoloured areas in the plate numbers, and the edges peal away leaving black marks where all the dust and shite collects on the adhesive.
 There are numerous designs/construction from the nasty perspex with the stick on back the factors sell, to the printed one off reflective label Jobs mounted, face forward, to a back plate that then mounts to the car.

As nobody here has differentiated the two, I presume nobody has noticed the detail.

Needles to say its the later mentioned design I want, as It appears it would last longer and look far better. NOT the cheap shite from the nearest factor.

Yours

Mr rather Kettle. ;D

« Last Edit: 25 July 2012, 22:46:45 by chrisgixer »

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2012, 23:59:11 »

Could it be worth trying a decent sign writer :-\ they could easily produce summat consisting of three layers:

1. sticky backed reflective yellow/white backround
2. dark grey/black letters
3. clear top layer

Stick that lot onto a nice piece of stainless steel cut to size/shape and bish bash bosh :y

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 26 July 2012, 09:28:28 »

Chris, pop round and have a look at the construction of the ones I got from fancyplates, if you like.. I think I still have the one that was on the MR2 for all those years so you can see how they hold up ;)

[edit] In fact I know I do, I kept it as a souvenir :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.