Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Technology  (Read 3407 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Technology
« on: 01 December 2016, 20:00:50 »

One of mans greatest inventions?... More like one of the most stressful things ever invented  ;D

Black Friday... Saw a Crucial 750GB SSD for £105 which seemed a good price so thought I'd try give my old Toshiba laptop a new lease of life before biting the bullet on a new Laptop.

Now I don't want to go too technical all I wanted to do was clone my 750GB HDD and then just slot the SSD in and that's it.. however nothing is ever simple.

This is the error I get using the Crucial recommended software 'Acronis True Image 2015'

I did also try something else called Aomei that didn't work either.

If I can't clone my HDD then I'm just gonna have to call it a day I've lost all patience with it at this stage (more so with windows than anything else)... The laptop does work fine at the moment but really is slow booting up and opening things etc... supposedly a SSD will help. Anyway I really do hate 'so called technology' at times.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Technology
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2016, 20:08:31 »

I'm not expert enough to guide you into something that does work, but I do know that Acronis doesn't seem to: I tried to get it to perform the simple task of transcribing vinyl recordings onto DVD (again, recommended online as the mutt's nuts for this purpose) and it failed time after time in a similar way to what you experienced - it's not just you.
I feel ashamed at suggerting this, but doesn#t Microsoft/Windows include a programme in their OS to do the transfer? You never know, it might actually work!

Ron.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2016, 20:19:51 »

Ha working for computers, my favourite topic.  :(
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2016, 23:03:25 »

I switch mine on, if it don,t work i,m fooked. :-[

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2016, 09:47:50 »

have you tried what it suggests, running chkdsk? for Win 7 go to 'my computer', right mouse click the disk, then 'properties', 'tools', 'check now'. choose 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' which will take  ages.

win10 similar. 
« Last Edit: 02 December 2016, 09:50:24 by migmog »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2016, 09:48:53 »

Yes its reporting a failed sector on your current hard drive so run the disk utilities to try to address it.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2016, 13:21:22 »

I did try the chkdsk.

But after about 4 hours stuck at 13% although the wheel was still spinning so I left it alone.. This happened. Looks like the hard drive is too far gone to be saved. Fresh/clean install of Win10 and manually backup/restore data is in order...

Strange thing is the laptop seems to work okay apart from being a bit slow opening things and booting up, it never really becomes unresponsive or chrashes. I did also try a health check of the hard drive a showtime ago and that came up all clear. Strange.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2016, 14:21:22 »

I bought one of these (though I don't remember them being that expensive!) :

https://www.startech.com/uk/HDD/Duplicators/

Basically its a stand alone unit that can copy one hard disk onto another (of equal or larger size). This removes Windows from the equation. It just does a straight binary copy. If there are surface errors on either disk then it tries for a while to copy that sector and then continues, whereas Windows just bombs out.

Then once the copy is complete, you use normal recovery software to identify which files were using the dodgy sectors, save what you can, and then delete/repair/replace the file. You won't be able to repair all damage this way, and it's more difficult if the fault is in a sector used by the registry hive or partition tables, but there is a good chance you can get most data off.

You should also note that newer versions of windows will know that you have changed hard disks even if you do a perfect clone. Windows is likely to complain ad require revalidation, which could be an issue if you have an OEM version of Windows. However, if you have a big name brand computer, it's usually possible to re-validate.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2016, 14:32:31 »

Its worth trying to run chkdsk from the command prompt as it can be a bit more thorough:

chkdsk /r c:

What you should find is that it wont complete as some files will be in use in windows, it should give you the option to do a scan at the next re-boot (so do a re-boot). From experience this is as close as you can get to fixing things using standard utils.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2016, 14:46:26 by Marks DTM Calib »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2016, 15:46:04 »

To be honest, if i was upgrading to a new HD I would take the opportunity where possible to do a fresh Install of the OS, particularly if moving over over to SSD, pain in the butt but cleanest way. Before you give up on your CHKDSK of your existing HD, try it in Safemode and or MS Prompt, or better still can you hang the Drive of another machine and check the drive?

Take it youve got a System Recovery Disk or USB, if not make one now, just in case. Do you have a recent Backed Image of the Drive?

Going back to your Disk Cloning, take it your just cloning the Data and not Sector by Sector, although I would have thought  Acronis should be doing this anyway?, If the Disk Clone doesn't work you could try Partition Copy or Clone, the Target Drive may not Boot but you can sort that with a recovery Disk or Tools / Utilities with a good Cloning Software.

Not a big fan of Acronis, some simple ones That I would recommend are free versions of EaseUs or HDClone, EaseUs do some nice freebies, ranging from Cloning, Partition Master, and ToDo BackUp, Recovery and PC Transfer, both of them will Optimization for SSD upgrades as well.

Personally I also Partition my Drives into OS, Program Files, Documents and stuff, then leave some spare Partitions at the Back for he Heavy Data like Vidoes, Pics etc, with a Free Space Partition for Back Up Images before moving them across to another Back Up location. Sounds like a pain, but once set up you can resize each Partition to suit and it makes it all so much easier to Bak Up, Restore and shift Data around when swapping Failed Drives or doing Upgrades.

Im also a bit old fashioned when it comes to back ups and will also Image each of my Drive Partitions in good old Windows Images (best to use Win7 Utilities option in Win10), ok so its not the most efficient way these days, but a lot, if not all, of 3rd Party Back Up / Imaging Software these days will Compress, Split and Convert your Image into there own format so its not MS compatible, meaning your need to Install there Software on a New working Recovery before you do anything with your Bak Ups. Theres a lot to be said for a proper Windows Drive Image and a simple Win Recovery Disk when the shit really does hit the fan.

Good luck with it all.  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2016, 17:09:28 »

Always install fresh. End of.

None of the tools seem to clone Win8 or later properly - 75% of the time you'll have trouble, and its not disk errors.  You see it on a lot of Linux NTFS drivers as well, so most likely some core Linux library can't read Win8's variant of NTFS, and all these tools are Linux based....
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2016, 11:28:45 »

casper - excellent cloning tool very rarely had problems with it (only way to be sure is to restore or boot from the copy) https://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2016, 16:58:00 »

I am a novice at this, however...I have cloned four drives now with Windows 10 OS. Originally, I googled the subject, came upon http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/  ... downloaded the free Macrium Reflect software suggested, followed the web page instructions, and it went a doddle !! :y
« Last Edit: 03 December 2016, 17:04:08 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2016, 19:54:19 »

Fresh install on the Crucial ssd and then stick the original hard disk in a usb caddy and copy your files over to the ssd.

Once you are certain you have all your data from the original disk you can use the original drive as a storage drive
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2016, 20:30:33 »

Thanks for all the help and advice, It's greatly appreciated. It can be very overwhelming dealing with Windows at times.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.