Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 td starting woes  (Read 1250 times)

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
  • Hahaha cool- 1000+bhp combined on the drive!!!!!!!
    • 3.0mv6 auto, cav4x4 turbo
    • View Profile
2.5 td starting woes
« on: 21 October 2014, 16:45:05 »

Ok so I've been playing about trying to get this figured out. Mines got the usual starting troubles. Crank crank crank x1million before it runs. Be it hot or cold. Sometimes it'll fire up on all 6, sometimes it'll run on like 3 or 4 for a few seconds before it sounds like a 6pot.

I haven't had the lift pump out to clean yet but I'm pretty sure I'd be clutching at straws as when you remove the bleed screw on the filter head it spews out a good'un.

I have a leaky injector pump by the look of it. It's wet down between the block and the fuel pump. And it smells. It's not leaking from the injectors and running down, and I can't find any fresh diesel when I feel round the end of the pipes and around the injector pump as best I can get my fingers round.

So to me, the obvious conclusion is the i.pump has to come out and swap. Or at least looked at for an internal leak? Sound right? Could this be the cause of my problem?

Are they easy enough once the inlets removed? Does the pump come out independently to the timing chain pulley/sprocket (terminology people, sorry) meaning I don't have to touch the timing chain? I've never touched an injector pump before or a timing chain.. The latter I'm a bit frightened in my inexperience of!
The weather is here... Wish you were beautiful!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 td starting woes
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2014, 10:00:21 »

I'd say first port of call is the injector pump. But to 'cure' the faulty lift pump, get the fuel tank half full. Mine's dickey at present, and needs about 15 litres in, and then it starts fine. Omegas are magic like that  ;)

Once you've done the injector pump, that's that 'out of the way' you can look at the lift pump. If the issue has gone away, but resurfaces as the fuel level drops over the course of the week - you need a lift pump. If the problem is still there, even with half a tank full - it's not the lift pump, and you've saved yourself wasting time one of the smelliest, most annoying jobs on an Omega (in my humble opinion)  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2014, 18:43:52 »

When you turn the ignition on keep your drivers door open and you should hear the lift pump running for about 5 seconds.(behind drivers side rear wheel)
As for it turning over and over before firing on some cylinders. When was the last time the glow plugs were replaced?
And has anyone put veggie oil in the fuel tank.
Take as much of the plastic cowling off and check the leak off pipes these can affect the engine starting as air will get into the fuel system.
The last thing you want to do is replace the main injector pump

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2014, 19:37:06 »

Having even a full tank doesn't seem to make a lot of difference  :-\

I've also clocked on to listening to the lift pump.. Seems to pump for about ten seconds. If I do the ignition off then on again a couple of times to let the pump prime the system it starts absolutely splendid  :D

Don't know if it's had veg oil in it ever, but I intend to ASAP  :D

Leak off pipes are all good, I replaced them last week :y

And totally.. I really don't want to have either pump off if I can help it!

I noticed that when I took the bleed screw out of the filter head, it wasn't entirely full. It was an inch or so below the bleed hole. That says to me the fuel in there's going somewhere when you switch it off. I don't think the leak at the injector pump is bad because I haven't noticed any puddles on the drive, I'd expect diesel would be easy to spot, especially with all the rain at the moment! So it must be going back into the tank from where the minor leak is preventing any vacuum effect holding the fuel in the system. So I'm thinking if I put a non rerun valve inline immediately after the lift pump (for easy access) this should help my problem?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2014, 20:08:44 »

Worth testing lift pump anyway (lift pump is the one in the tank).  Unlike petrols, it doesn't need this pump to run once started, as the main fuel pump is more than powerful enough to drag pump through.

The BMW lump is renown for warm start problems. Most chips adjust the paramaters to make this a non issue, so don't rule out a blended problem of knackered glowplugs causing cold start problems and BMW shite for warm start problems.
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2014, 20:38:33 »

Hmm have you checked the diesel heater to filter joint? it often undoes when people change the filter they dont realise it and you get starting problems till it pumps the diesel up!
fix? remove filter and tighten heater bit by hand its on a screw thread above the filter then replace filter hand tight als :yo

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2014, 21:16:15 »

Hmm have you checked the diesel heater to filter joint? it often undoes when people change the filter they dont realise it and you get starting problems till it pumps the diesel up!
fix? remove filter and tighten heater bit by hand its on a screw thread above the filter then replace filter hand tight als :yo

I haven't taken it apart and reassembled but having said that, it's bone dry around the filter/fuel heater (I wondered what the wiring plug was for) and doesn't smell of diesel, whereas the injector pump is wet Underneath and smells of diesel.

I have poured water over the filter/heater/housing then moved the car to look for a diesel-like shimmer in the water on the floor and it all seems good.

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2014, 08:15:27 »

Try cleaning out the swirl pot as the cheap supermarket fuel can leave a gunk film in the fuel tank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.