Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I throwing good money after bad - bushes rear axle  (Read 1247 times)

BIGDOG

• Watford
  • For all those jobs that just dont get done
    • T reg 2.5td
    • View Profile
Am I throwing good money after bad - bushes rear axle
« on: 23 October 2014, 11:06:58 »

Hi all
I have just had a pre MOT check up and the garage (who I trust) has told me that I need a little welding doing on the sub frame (stuff happens) and also that the two bushes on the rear between the axle and the sub frame are shot. They have quoted me around £600 + VAT to get through the MOT. My question is this - am I being asked too much and should I be able get this work done any cheaper. I don't want to get rid of my car if possible I have had lots of work done on the engine and it drives superbly. I live in the Watford area and any help would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively if anyone has the contact details of Mr. Magoo MOTs' please can you pass on the details. :y

Many thanks
Martin.
Wine is sweeter than water. But water's sweeter than dry.

aaronjb

Re: Am I throwing good money after bad - bushes rear axle
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2014, 11:21:21 »

Unless the welding is to patch a hole the size of the iceberg that sunk the titanic, I reckon a trip an hour or so up-country to serek in Huntingdon would see that fixed for a lot less than £600.

If the bushes are the ones I'm thinking of there are also polyurethane replacements available for a reasonable price, the "donut" bushes on the rear subframe.

BIGDOG

• Watford
    • T reg 2.5td
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2014, 11:33:52 »

The welding isn't the major cost, just a couple of patches either side. Of the £600 it's fitting the bushes that's the big one. Apparently they are about the size of hale a grapefruit and the rear axle needs to be taken off to fit them, this taking the time and therefore the money. Is there another way that might be cheaper? :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2014, 11:45:00 »

The welding isn't the major cost, just a couple of patches either side. Of the £600 it's fitting the bushes that's the big one. Apparently they are about the size of hale a grapefruit and the rear axle needs to be taken off to fit them, this taking the time and therefore the money. Is there another way that might be cheaper? :-\

No it doesn't. I fitted four sets of these in a field at Newent with a jack, a bearing puller a torque wrench and a whizzy gun. It's half hours epwork a side with practice. Quicker, if fitting polys.

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2014, 11:50:06 »

There is a guide on fitting these.

Print it off and show them. 2 hours labour tops :y

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2014, 11:51:44 »

Yup, I've watched Chris fit polys to my car having barely lifted the car off the ground with the aid of little more than a socket set and a claw hammer.. (or did I imagine the claw hammer?)

If they balk at the idea of doing it cheaper, go to an OOF mechanic like serek or others (you never know, Chris might volunteer given sufficient persuasion, eh Chris? ;D) :y

BIGDOG

• Watford
    • T reg 2.5td
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2014, 12:00:24 »

Cheers guys
can anyone recommend a good mechanic near Watford? Or where is Serec? and how do I get hold of him if he is close. I also need a hose replaced (gaffer tape won't hold forever!) and don't wont to go too far for the fear of over heating if she blows.

Ta

Martin

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2014, 12:04:40 »

Serek is in Huntingdon,  so not that far :y just send him a PM :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2014, 12:06:26 »

Cheers guys
can anyone recommend a good mechanic near Watford? Or where is Serec? and how do I get hold of him if he is close. I also need a hose replaced (gaffer tape won't hold forever!) and don't wont to go too far for the fear of over heating if she blows.

Ta

Martin
Sereks in Huntingdon, up the M11. I'll PM you his Mobile Number.  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2014, 12:16:10 »

Cheers guys

Ta

Martin
Sereks in Huntingdon, up the M11. I'll PM you his Mobile Number.  ;)
Or A1 from you I guess, anyway PM sent.  ;)

chrisgixer

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2014, 13:17:47 »

Just fed up of seeing rip-off mechanic prices. That's half the problem of these cars being scrapped. Who's going to pay £600 to repair a car that's worth £400, and you can 'cut your losses' and get it scrapped and get £100 in your hand?

And then you go on this site and find that the water in the carpets the mechanic told you was a stuffed heater matrix, was actually a blocked drain hole.

Best of luck getting it going again. This isn't a major job, and one I'm thinking of doing along the way, just as a preventative measure, when I repaint the rear suspension, and fit the MV6 springs.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2014, 13:36:17 »

It's worth remembering that back street garages can only really give standard answers to standard questions that don't always fit the omega, but probably are relevant to most other vehicles.

It's simply not possible to know the intracacies of every model ever made to the level that we do on here, for just one model. The omega.

While we all want to trust a garage, it's simply not possible to trust them to this level of detail. Plus, they also have to cover their arse on costs.

BIGDOG

• Watford
    • T reg 2.5td
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2014, 15:30:48 »

Cheers Chris.
Have to say that on the whole my garage has been great. on one occasion I was told that I needed a full set of glow plugs (chick ching!) by a fourth party and my guys just charged the battery to full and vroom vroom I was going again (Halfords battery!!! turned it over but no life). Will be replacing the battery next time with said garage for a Bosch gel one for the same price as Halfords sh*te. On this issue however it needed someone who knows the Omega.

I have spoken to Serek (thanks again) and should be putting the car in next week - the bill should be halved!!!! :D

cheers again to all

Martin

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2014, 15:53:15 »

Also apologies if I came across as a bit acidic to this garage. More a rant at garages overall. At the same time I've been on the receiving end of doing a simple 2 hr job, charging effectively nothing price of parts, and mates rates. Do the work up my drive. At 1am I'm still fighting with it. You get the usual "haven't you dont it yet? I thought you said it wouldnt take long?" etc... so garages have to protect themselves, of course. Glad it's being sorted by an OOFer!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.