Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hive Thermostat  (Read 3543 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Hive Thermostat
« on: 27 November 2017, 12:52:34 »

I'm thinking about getting one of these as it looks like I'm going to be spending time away from home for work reasons this winter and I like the idea of the ability to control my heating remotely.  :y  It would be nice to come home to a warm house rather than sit around shivering waiting for the place to warm up!  ::)

I have a conventional system with tanks in the loft and a hot water cylinder, heated by an elderly Potterton Profile boiler.  :)

Has anyone got one of these?  Any good?  Easy to install?  Any decent alternative?  TIA!  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2017, 13:14:23 »

A guy in my team has gone with Nest and raves about it, basically similar product I think.

When we move, I will be going Honeywell Evohome as I like the idea of being able to "zone" each room and control them all individually, as well as having remote access etc. Evohome is more costly though as you need to buy wireless TRVs

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2017, 14:09:12 »

Is Hive not tied to British Gas? Read that some of these are tied to the supplier.   :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2017, 14:19:43 »

Is Hive not tied to British Gas? Read that some of these are tied to the supplier.   :-\

Hive is a BG product, but not tied to BG.

I have a Nest - very nice, does what it says on the tin (as does Hive - my parents have that).

Honeywell Evohome is great but at over a grand to do this house I couldn't justify it - and, call me sceptical, but it's "technology" from a company more used to (I am doing them an injustice here ;D) bimetallic strips, so you know it'll be obsolete in a year and have all the security of a wet sock... whereas at under £200, I can justify binning the Nest in a few years when it's outdated, compromised and obsolete.

(I've also heard that the electronic TRVs can be rather loud and unsuitable for use in bedrooms, but YMMV on that)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2017, 15:50:52 »

Hive is a BG product, but not tied to BG.

I have a Nest - very nice, does what it says on the tin (as does Hive - my parents have that).

Honeywell Evohome is great but at over a grand to do this house I couldn't justify it - and, call me sceptical, but it's "technology" from a company more used to (I am doing them an injustice here ;D) bimetallic strips, so you know it'll be obsolete in a year and have all the security of a wet sock... whereas at under £200, I can justify binning the Nest in a few years when it's outdated, compromised and obsolete.

(I've also heard that the electronic TRVs can be rather loud and unsuitable for use in bedrooms, but YMMV on that)

Er....Honeywell are one of the largest engineering companies on the planet and a massive tech company  :y

Certainly not to be confused with ye olde stats from the 70's

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2017, 17:20:21 »

When I looked at these when lauched, there was a hefty monthly sub, something like £10pm.

Double check before committing.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2017, 17:23:32 »

.. and it'll rely on some cloud service that probably spies on you and sells the data to anyone who asks. ;D

.. which is why I rolled my own. Must put a web interface on it one day so it can be used by actual people. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2017, 17:26:53 »

.. and it'll rely on some cloud service that probably spies on you and sells the data to anyone who asks. ;D

.. which is why I rolled my own. Must put a web interface on it one day so it can be used by actual people. ::)
I have the manual system, when its too cold, I press a + button. When its hot, I press a - button.

I can't see any reason to open it to t'interweb.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2017, 17:29:35 »

I have the manual system, when its too cold, I press a + button. When its hot, I press a - button.

There is that, of course. I see all the adverts about hipsters turning on their heating from the train and wonder why we invented the timeswitch all those years ago. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2017, 17:31:45 »

There is that, of course. I see all the adverts about hipsters turning on their heating from the train and wonder why we invented the timeswitch all those years ago. ::)
I'm fairly certain mine is on 24/7 ::)
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2017, 17:34:29 »

It’s tech for the sake of tech. There are lots of examples of answers to problems that don’t exist, and plenty more to follow.

My missus has just bought a 12” gaypad. She was showing me what she could do with it and I said “Oh yeah. Just like a laptop, but more expensive”. She shut up then.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2017, 17:39:01 »

My movements might be a bit random for the next couple of months, so the timer is no good and I thought it'd be good to be able to turn the heating on about an hour before I get in so the place is nice and toasty!  :y

The Hive system has come down in price quite a lot recently, which made me think it might be worth it, but I didn't think about the possibility of a subscription, and if that's the case then I'll just shiver!  ;D

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2017, 18:43:35 »

Put a jumper on!  ;D

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2017, 20:06:11 »

Put a jumper on!  ;D

I know I'm being a soft southern shandy arse, but there's also the added benefit of being able to turn the heating on while I'm away if we get an arctic blast!  :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2017, 20:12:21 »

I,ve got a Johnson & Starley warm air unit, just turn the rheostat up when we get in, two minutes later house warming up nicely. Haven,t used timer since it,s been installed. :D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2017, 07:08:41 »

Put a jumper on!  ;D

I know I'm being a soft southern shandy arse, but there's also the added benefit of being able to turn the heating on while I'm away if we get an arctic blast!  :y

My central heating programmer has a 'fall back' temp. I have it set to 15c, so if the house temp drops to below 15c when the heating is set to off, the heating automatically comes on. Maybe a controller like this would suit  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2017, 10:17:47 »

I probably need to buy a new phone as well.  :-\

My elderly Sony Xperia T (2013) is constantly telling me it's full (of crap) and every time I delete apps I don't need, clear the caches, or uninstall updates on apps that I can't delete, it instantly starts updating other stuff which fills the space that I've just cleared.  ::)  :(

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2017, 10:30:09 »

Put a jumper on!  ;D

:y

That's what we do while the Rayburn and log burner get going.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2017, 23:54:10 »

I have just had hive heating fitted , the time clock unit has been replaced for a hive controller we now have a new thermostat which is wireless and can be moved about .
All the setting is now done on my iPad on the hive ap .
It seems to be working well .
I also use hive to control the lights around the house  and I have a couple of the hive cameras  .
The cameras are good I think they let use keep an eye on the house , I got them mainly due to a problem neighbour 🙄

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2017, 07:17:56 »

With regards to the heating side of things, my stat stays on 21° for most of the year (sometimes 22°), and I just forget about it. Gets a bit warm in bed sometimes, but I can cope.  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2017, 09:16:29 »

With regards to the heating side of things, my stat stays on 21° for most of the year (sometimes 22°), and I just forget about it. Gets a bit warm in bed sometimes, but I can cope.  ;D

You want to try living with my Mrs, then! If it's a tiny bit too warm "It's very warm in here, isn't it?". Tiny bit too cold, "It's very cold tonight, isn't it?" ::)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.