Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: interesting tyre wear...  (Read 745 times)

05omegav6

interesting tyre wear...
« on: 13 April 2014, 11:28:16 »

Near side front, outer edge towards the left of the picture...

Is it just me or have I been taking the sweeping right hander up Bury Hill too quickly ::)
The bend I mean is from 0:44s to 0:55s in this vid...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sU-Oum2fO0

Offside tyre is unaffected, so thinking it's as a direct result of long, relatively high speed right handers :-\

All four tyres are otherwise wearing evenly...

chrisgixer

Re: interesting tyre wear...
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2014, 00:08:36 »

Going by the left tread blocks...Looks like it needs a touch more camber. Can be slightly more unstable in a straight line though.

Otherwise, yes agree that's just hard cornering on the left side of the centre ribs. IMO.

omega3000

« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2014, 10:06:37 »

Going by the left tread blocks...Looks like it needs a touch more camber. Can be slightly more unstable in a straight line though.

Otherwise, yes agree that's just hard cornering on the left side of the centre ribs. IMO.

Both fronts of mine were like that on old elite  :D Must have been the sogdy wallowy springs  :(

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2014, 10:07:38 »

Wishbones/ball joints OK? Check camber angle.......

Ron.

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2014, 10:16:27 »

Car set up at WIM in Feb, done maybe 2k since :-\

Wisbones  bushes are bombproof, no sign of anything else amiss :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2014, 10:30:09 »

Outside wear was what killed my old Goodyears many moons ago, can't remember problem but a WIM session has not seen problem re-occur in around 50k miles.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2014, 11:09:34 »

Could that be the result of a pot hole? Hit one on Mothering Sunday :-[ Although anything with enough force to knock the camber out would surely break/bend the wheel, no pressure loss and no balance issues so actually doubt the significance tbh :-\

No play in the steering linkages either, as both trackrods and balljoints were changed immediately prior to set up. Tyres did 0 miles before set up as they were fitted at WIM.

Kevin has driven the car since said pot hole, and can hopefully independently confirm that the car drives/handles properly...

I tend to attack the hill I linked to, but coming north along the A29 there's also a nasty tight right hander just north of Slindon. Actually has a 50mph limit round it, but the reality is that even on a dry road the Omega couldn't go round it at much over that. Every time I go to Chichester or beyond, I go that way, so it might just be a couple of corners that have caused it :-\

Picture is deceptive as the shoulder wear is less pronounced than it looks. There's also faint evidence of similar wear on the inside edge of the offside front tyre, which suggest that the car is washing out of the bends under duress. There's no feathering on any of the tyres either, which again suggests no geometry wear... :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2014, 11:30:47 »

While I realise its necessary for load carrying, you do run a high psi.

Obviously that means less action in the tyre and a colder temp. generally. Colder tyre temp gives greater opportunity for the tyre rubber to tear. Something seen on track mostly, but what's evident on the left side of the centre ribs is the start of a tear. Like the rubber has been chipped off or ripped away.

A lower tyre psi might help. More heat in the tyre and consequently more grip with more compliant rubber.

Your running zero toe with poly so I doubt toe is an a issue unless there's a wishbone  bush (or track rod which you've changed) related loss of wheel position.

Try a more standard psi. Sc3 will run well on 28 psi giving more compliance in ride and better grip provided there's enough heat in them.  Although that psi is suicidal with the state of the roads ATM. So mine us running 34 psi currently.

Camber is always going to be a compromise between tyre wear and straight line  stability. Sport suspension leaning towards -1.15 or more.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2014, 12:20:02 »

There was evidence of similar wear on the 17" Runways after TB drove it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.