Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 running grumpy  (Read 2394 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 running grumpy
« Reply #30 on: 16 December 2011, 15:33:03 »

I wonder what the fuel trims are doing? Removing power from the ECU would probably have cleared the fuel trims... Then again, if we've checked the live data once we've done it half a dozen times... ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 16 December 2011, 20:09:02 »

Where did these coil pacs come from Al?
Got them form the plce you recommended int' midlands. :-\ did try 3 different coilpacks at the lakes and all 3 were tested and produced 60,000 volts on 2 and 4, but  only 40,000 volts on pot 6. So them ruled out.

I wonder what the fuel trims are doing? Removing power from the ECU would probably have cleared the fuel trims... Then again, if we've checked the live data once we've done it half a dozen times... ::)
And again at the lakes ::)

New loom in order me thinks...

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 17 December 2011, 02:57:59 »

Just to update: car does seem to be idling better overall :y, no hissy fits tonight :-X, although light is still on. :-\ At least I know that the bulb hasn't blown ::).

I think that perhaps it is probably a combination of the following:

1. An engine earth being disconnected.
2. A wiring fault as a result of being laid up for 7 months, (moisture ingress), causing the voltage drop on pot 6.
3. Possible exhaust valve damage from the destroyed plug.

Next step will be the loom. The valves can wait until the head needs to come off, as I don't really want to break open the engine just yet. Still got the original MAF sensor so might try swapping that back to see if the 0100 stays, not sure how long pattern MAFs last. (Done about 30k) :-\.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 December 2011, 10:10:39 »

Pattern MAFs have been known to e a bit hit and miss...

Have you done a compression test? (I'm sure you have)

Just thinking that would surely offer some clues if there's physical damage.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #34 on: 17 December 2011, 11:54:23 »

i think he said earlier that Pot 6 was within 10% of the others....

frankly, that piece of information bothers me....   i'd want it a lot closer than that.....   if something happened valve wise previously, (assume it is somewhere in another thread) i'd strongly suspect something like  a damaged  valve seating , and i'm damn sure that would affect the running to some extent.....   whether it would cause this issue,  on it's own, i'm not so sure....

however, it strikes me that if an exhaust valve is damaged, even if it's just the seating ,  then the emissions light issue would make sense, as the thing will be leaking unburnt fuel mixture on compression cycle....   

given that almost everything else seems to have been prodded and poked , changed, swapped, and tested,   there's not a whole heap remaining....

ultimately,  the holy trinity of Fuel,  Compression, Spark,  are what run the thing, and if it's lumpy and grumpy,  there's going to be a reason affecting their relationship somewhere.....

i'm not up to date with the control systems ,  but in my youth i did used to build competition engines for rally use.....    10% is a LOT more variance than i would ever have accepted on a compression test.

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 18 December 2011, 05:28:03 »

Of the top of my head, Pots 1-5 were 9.2/3 and Pot 6 was 8.9, so not that significant a difference :-\.

Thinking that the problem is electrical rather than mechanical because once it starts buggering about, if you turn it off and back on again, 9 times out of 10 it is fine, sometimes for five mins, and sometimes for two hours, no rhyme or reason. It just doesn't like idling when it is damp. that seems to be the only consistancy :-\

Will try the 'old' GM MAF today, as I've not gotten round to that yet ::)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 December 2011, 07:44:50 »

Interesting thread Al - hope you have some success later on. 8)

05omegav6

« Reply #37 on: 18 December 2011, 15:55:41 »

Right pattern MAF swapped out with original one.  Left the ECU unplugged for ten, then restarted, light out. Once warmed up light started flashing and started hunting a bit. Turned off and re checked the codes: 0100, 0300, 0306, 0304. Residual codes I think:-\

Had lunch and went for a spin, light still out, running idling OK. Will see what hgappens when I hit the mean streets tonight... :y

05omegav6

« Reply #38 on: 18 December 2011, 17:39:40 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=97070.0 Might this have something to do with it :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.