Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I've forgotten how shitty the motorway is....  (Read 8074 times)

STEMO

I've forgotten how shitty the motorway is....
« on: 13 October 2019, 20:27:45 »

.....when it's dark and raining. Just got back from the monthly backgammon trip for the lad, and it seems like ages since I was driving in the dark. Not just me, either, judging by some of the driving I saw.
Only six months till Spring.  :(

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: I've forgotten how shitty the motorway is....
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2019, 20:29:17 »

Don't remind me, I'm back to an hour's trip each way to work, 95% of it in the dark.

Still, this time last year it was 90mins each way.   :y

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2019, 20:30:48 »

Don't remind me, I'm back to an hour's trip each way to work, 95% of it in the dark.

Still, this time last year it was 90mins each way.   :y
You don't realise just how crap your wipers actually are till it's dark and wet. Job for this week.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2019, 20:32:58 »

Yes, 17000 miles in and mine are not much cop. However I'm holding out until its service in about 6 weeks' time when the lease company pays for some more for me.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2019, 20:49:29 »

I buy new each year. They go hard in the sun/heat or even fuse to the screen. For a while I had spare blades for the summer and then good ones for the winter.

You need active cruise control for your night driving. Set the gap to maximum. Simplesszs.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2019, 20:59:05 »

I had the "pleasure" of using the M62 westbound three times last week , dreadful  >:(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2019, 21:14:35 »

.whose being playing with the worm filter  ;D.. typical weekend motorist moaning, just get out of my bloody way, ...
« Last Edit: 13 October 2019, 21:16:06 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2019, 21:21:05 »

Very rarely drive on motorways at night now just don't like it anymore, years ago would always travel in the early hours to avoid traffic, my 35 minute journey home from work after a late shift is enough for me now.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2019, 21:49:04 »

I buy new each year. They go hard in the sun/heat or even fuse to the screen. For a while I had spare blades for the summer and then good ones for the winter.

You need active cruise control for your night driving. Set the gap to maximum. Simplesszs.
Active cruise control for M62 or M1? You're having a laugh.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2019, 23:45:14 »

Had a terrifying drive the other week in the dark, with headlamps with zero range as it was my first night drive in the car I had no idea what the lamps were like - upon arrival I realised the levelling switch was set to maximum dip! Return journey was lots nicer.

(though I'll be the first to add to this thread my annoyance of the state of about 30% of cars lamps are dreadful - either set wonky so they dazzle you, or drivers dozily cruising around with main beam on, dazzling everyone.  >:(
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2019, 07:40:02 »

I used to use mine in the Skoda most commutes to & from work - rush hour on the M1 & M25.. I don't in the RRS, though - it's a much older generation of system and doesn't work half as well.

Had a terrifying drive the other week in the dark, with headlamps with zero range as it was my first night drive in the car I had no idea what the lamps were like - upon arrival I realised the levelling switch was set to maximum dip! Return journey was lots nicer.

The fiancés (still getting used to that ;D) MINI is like that, although they are pointing roughly in the right direction (little high, maybe) the offside lamp has bugger all output despite genuine Night Breaker bulbs (which were an improvement over whatever was in there before!). You'd thing a big round lamp like that would work well.. nearside is fine, though, so maybe the offside has 'cooked' the reflector off over time.

Eventually I'll pick up a set of replacement lights .. but at £400 a pair for aftermarket upgrades or £1000 for genuine same as she has, tis a little pricey! Then again, so is stacking it in the dark, so.. ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2019, 10:06:47 »

Depends on the system I guess. I probably use it for 90% of my motorway driving in the milk float, particularly in stop/start traffic. Given that it's an auto (or rather has no gears to select), it will go all the way down to zero and back up to speed no problem. The only input required, other than steering  :D is a dab of throttle to start it off again if it's been stationary for more than a few seconds.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2019, 11:04:55 »

I like to make 'progress' on the motorway, out side lane and 'get out of my way'. It saves having to deal with all the airheads who slow down at every gantry thinking the cameras will get them, when I know the smart motorway doesn't give a toss unless a human tells it to.

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2019, 11:32:35 »

I like to make 'progress' drive right up the arse of the car in front on the motorway, out side lane and 'get out of my way' bully them out of the way. It saves having to deal with all the airheads who slow down at every gantry thinking the cameras will get them, when I know the smart motorway doesn't give a toss unless a human tells it to.

Translated?  :P

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2019, 11:55:22 »

I like to make 'progress' drive right up the arse of the car in front on the motorway, out side lane and 'get out of my way' bully them out of the way. It saves having to deal with all the airheads who slow down at every gantry thinking the cameras will get them, when I know the smart motorway doesn't give a toss unless a human tells it to.

Translated?  :P
Not quite. I like to get along, but am wise enough to drive considerately and defensively, even at speed. I don't consider ending up in a mangled wreck as 'good progress'.  ;D
The secret is to assume that every car inside of you is going to pull out in front of you, with a cursory blink of an indicator. Or that the car in front of you, who pulled out to overtake the middle lane hogger, is going to bottle it at 85 and want back in. Plus, always keeping an eye in the rear view mirror, because there are others who like to make even better progress than you do.  ;D
« Last Edit: 14 October 2019, 11:57:21 by STEMO »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.