Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Impedance  (Read 4149 times)

chrisgixer

Impedance
« on: 12 November 2014, 21:02:10 »

What is it? How does it work? And why does it make my HK sound a bit scratchy on high hats/symbols and female singers "s's" ....?

Or is it something else?

And Esta, bog off, it's not a misspelt impotance. Ok? ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Impedance
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2014, 21:06:01 »

something to do with resistance ..........  :-\

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2014, 09:36:48 »

Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2014, 12:05:27 »

Wtf? First paragraph. No idea. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2014, 12:10:58 »

See, I can't see it. That's the problem I have with sparks. I mean I can see that that wire has to touch that terminal to make a circuit, and that diet of thing.

But I guess this a type of electricity. (;D) in which case I have no chance. ;D

Let's look at it the other way then. Why is my drive to play emulator a bit "screechy" on high note s noises...? Like some sort of distortion.

TB knows what I mean.

Mean while I will try to digest the link a bit more. Thanks Dave. :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2014, 13:06:14 »

Wtf? First paragraph. No idea. ;D
Impedance (Z) has many meanings dependending on its application and use, but for simple Audio terms which is what your refering to its the Z input and output stages or devices, ie an Hi level Amplifier driving some speakers will be designed to drive a speaker set up of similar Z (normally in the low Z range), likewise a Pre Amplifier (low level) will have i/p and o/p Z stages (normally a higher Z range).

Impedance is quoted in Ohms normally against a given level (Voltage) but unlike simple Resistance calculation at a DC Level, Impedance is given at an AC level and will change at a different frequency of the AC (Audio) Signal.

Impedance miss match between devices is common today with people that think everything is plug n play now, ie a typical one I see quite a lot is where so called DJ's or Pub Owners will plug the iPhone Head Phone output or speaker out of DAB Radio (both fairly low Z) into  a Mixer Desk or PA Input (typically High Z) and then expect it to sound right, while adjusting Volume levels to make amends to get the Volume Level correct, this scenario can have a dramatic effect on Frequency Response, ie, too much or not enough Bass ranging to tinny or distorted Mid to Treble notes, as well as messing up Distortion levels, Signal to Noise ratio, Dynamic Range, Headroom, Ambient Noise compression and overall Music Quality..       
« Last Edit: 13 November 2014, 13:09:52 by zirk »

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2014, 15:27:30 »

Yes the iphone is a bit quiet. So volume turned up a bit to compensate. So I guess the ranges are all to cock.

Just to say though it's by no means intrusive, and barely noticeable on the move. It's a Bose system obviously. Iphone to hk drive and play hard wired via fm to  Ncdc2015

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2014, 17:20:53 »

Yes the iphone is a bit quiet. So volume turned up a bit to compensate. So I guess the ranges are all to cock.

Just to say though it's by no means intrusive, and barely noticeable on the move. It's a Bose system obviously. Iphone to hk drive and play hard wired via fm to  Ncdc2015
No idea what a hk drive and play hard is. Sounds like a Driving School in Hong Kong?, do they teach Chinese folk to drive Black Cars? as for Play Hard being wired up to it, probably not something that should be discussed before the 9 o'clock watershed.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2014, 17:57:00 »

The iPod connected via the iPod cable to the HK is giving distortion? Shouldn't do, as that is designed to all be properly impedence matched.

When we tried an iPhone via the CD Changer in my Chavmobile, do you recall the distortion/lack of clarity? That was impedence mismatch, and that's often how it sounds.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2014, 19:46:50 »

The iPod connected via the iPod cable to the HK is giving distortion? Shouldn't do, as that is designed to all be properly impedence matched.

When we tried an iPhone via the CD Changer in my Chavmobile, do you recall the distortion/lack of clarity? That was impedence mismatch, and that's often how it sounds.

I do. And yes that's how it sounds. Although slightly more subtle on mine.

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2014, 19:47:46 »

It is present on ipod, and iphone. Although iphone has a quieter volume level for some reason.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2014, 19:57:56 »

I do. And yes that's how it sounds. Although slightly more subtle on mine.
Admittedly the chavmobile was fairly extreme, for obvious reasons the mismatch was completely out.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2014, 19:58:31 »

But what to do...? :-\

Although it's not the end of the world on mine tbh. I'd far rather have the iPod connectivity etc, than not.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2014, 19:58:52 »

It is present on ipod, and iphone. Although iphone has a quieter volume level for some reason.
How is the gayPhone connecting to the HK, presumably not via the iPod connection, as you HK doesn't support Lightning.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2014, 20:01:04 »

If its happening with the gayPod via the gayPod connection, I'd suggest you're in the realms of FM adapter deficiencies.

But its been in a couple of years now, possibly more? I vaguely recall doing it, and I must have been pretty mobile, so must have been pre accident (Feb 2012)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.