Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Carb Cleaner  (Read 8026 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Carb Cleaner
« Reply #45 on: 22 February 2017, 15:49:29 »

Thanks Mark.

And the shims are going to have to be the genuine article as that's were the oil feed for the rocker shaft comes up as well... great.  ::)

The more I see of this engine the more I wonder why I'm bothering for 180bhp and probably 15mpg   :-\

They have a following in the UK mainly due to the fact that they were about the only V8 we had in any quantity for a few decades.

They are pretty light though but demonstrate a lack of development (in fact Rover buggered the Buick head design up when they took it on).

Plenty of shim kits about though, not overly expensive and the aftermarket ones seem as good as the genuine.

The thing I hate the most is the fact you need Metric (fuel injection bits), Imperial (many of the block fastenings which didn't change from the US design) and Whitworth (the bits Rover pissed with) tools to work on them.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 February 2017, 19:18:53 »

Aye, true.

Seems odd to me that given the "that'll do" engineering tolerances that all the valves on each rocker need shimming the same amount; as you can't shim them unevenly without bending the rocker shaft.  :-\

I think they must have standardised it when they got to the late 90s as the only embuggerance I've come accross is 12pt 8mm studs holding the rocker covers on. I mean really... who keeps 12pt sockets below 10mm  ::)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23 February 2017, 21:32:35 »

Caustic chemicals are quite effective.  :y

Probably more care has to be taken with the correct protection for the user.
Don`t let any onto your skin as it will burn & use a face mask etc.
Keep animals well out of the way & hose down any spills quickly

Small scale ie small amount of Harpic power plus (yes the toilet cleaner) in a jar.
paint onto say a scaled up carb bowl & work well into all areas with a stiff paint brush
Quickly Rinse in a bucket of cold water to neutralse any chemical
the speed that this stuff works is what I like & It`s also extrememly effective at removing petrol varnish & doesn`t affect any plastic parts.

The key to this stuff is use small amounts & rinse pronto, don`leave any parts soaking & wonder off.
It will etch very quickly into all metals so don`t bugger up your stainless steel kitchen sink

It`s not to everyones liking & can quickly damage close fitting metal parts.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2017, 21:37:16 by 78bex »

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 23 February 2017, 21:40:06 »

Today we learnt that if you leave rubber bungs soaking in diesel they will swell up to 1.5 times there original size  :o
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 23 February 2017, 21:45:54 »

Today we learnt that if you leave rubber bungs soaking in diesel they will swell up to 1.5 times there original size  :o

Whoops  ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 February 2017, 10:11:40 »

Caustic chemicals are quite effective.  :y

Probably more care has to be taken with the correct protection for the user.
Don`t let any onto your skin as it will burn & use a face mask etc.
Keep animals well out of the way & hose down any spills quickly

Small scale ie small amount of Harpic power plus (yes the toilet cleaner) in a jar.
paint onto say a scaled up carb bowl & work well into all areas with a stiff paint brush
Quickly Rinse in a bucket of cold water to neutralse any chemical
the speed that this stuff works is what I like & It`s also extrememly effective at removing petrol varnish & doesn`t affect any plastic parts.

The key to this stuff is use small amounts & rinse pronto, don`leave any parts soaking & wonder off.
It will etch very quickly into all metals so don`t bugger up your stainless steel kitchen sink

It`s not to everyones liking & can quickly damage close fitting metal parts.

Best avoided on aluminium, as a minimum it will dull the surface, worst case if left for a while there is bugger all left!
« Last Edit: 24 February 2017, 14:32:00 by Marks DTM Calib »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 February 2017, 10:12:04 »

True of any petroleum based fluid on standard rubber

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 24 February 2017, 13:45:45 »

Ya live and learn  ;D Fortunately not at great expense this time  :D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24 February 2017, 14:37:00 »

Ya live and learn  ;D Fortunately not at great expense this time  :D

Had a car with a strange servo operation once, carburettor unit and the one way valve in the vac pipe had failed.

The result was a nice fuel/air mix in the servo and a servo bladder about twice the size it should be

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 25 February 2017, 19:43:52 »

:D

This afternoon the heads went back on, along with manifolds, lifters, push rods and rockers.  It cranks by hand without any clonks so fingers crossed I might have done it right  ::)  :)

Tomorrow :
Oil pick up tube, sump, oil pipes, valley gasket, injector rail, inlet manf, dis packs... yeah it'll be a while yet  ;D

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 26 February 2017, 15:42:53 »

Despite packing the oil pump before reassembly it doesnt seem to want to prime; or at least there's no evidence at the rockers of any flow. Bugger.

Helpful suggestions?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 27 February 2017, 09:32:18 »

Taking out the dizzy and spinning the oil pump on an electric drill used to be the trick with these...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 February 2017, 15:09:15 »

Taking out the dizzy and spinning the oil pump on an electric drill used to be the trick with these...

Thanks. No Dizzy tho - Thor not Gems. It seems just cranking over on the starter (with no plugs/inj) isn't enough speed to pump oil to the rockers but the oil pressure light is going out so I'll carry on.  Hopefully the mains aren't so worn that it can't get any flow to the heads  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 February 2017, 18:21:07 »

OK. If the oil light is going out there's a good chance it has at least primed the pump and you'll get pressure once it's started. :y

Could also remove the filter and check that it has filled the filter. If not, a crank with the filter off and a tray below it and check that some oil issues forth.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 27 February 2017, 18:35:54 »

OK. If the oil light is going out there's a good chance it has at least primed the pump and you'll get pressure once it's started. :y

Could also remove the filter and check that it has filled the filter. If not, a crank with the filter off and a tray below it and check that some oil issues forth.

Think I read somewhere the light goes out at ~9psi. So not totally void of flow.

I filled the filter beforehand to aid proceedings along.  As well as filling as much as would go into the gauge port above the pressure switch.  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.