Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any storm damage?  (Read 6002 times)

2boxerdogs

Any storm damage?
« on: 23 February 2017, 12:59:29 »

Very strong winds here at the moment, neighbours fence behind me has lost 3 panels, one of my trees swaying violently.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Any storm damage?
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2017, 13:01:41 »

Nothing to report on the top of the Downs... is there some weather about then? ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2017, 13:07:30 »

Hmm. Suppose I'd better pass the airfield on the way home to see if my trailer is still the right way up. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2017, 13:23:30 »

Hmm. Suppose I'd better pass the airfield on the way home to see if my trailer is still the right way up. :-\
EGKK 231250Z 26031G42KT 9999 BKN039 10/02 Q0994

If that helps :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2017, 13:27:21 »

Rail disruption around here, bloody chav trampolines on the track and have hit the OHLE.

Neighbours fence is over, clearly the company who replaced it two years ago did a great job ( 7ft post for a 6 foot panel....)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2017, 13:30:58 »

Upside down, its when its in the middle of a field, 3 miles down the road is when you know you have a problem.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2017, 13:31:28 »

Couple of trucks blown over on the A17 lots of blues & twos around.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2017, 13:34:02 »

Need to speak to the old man, its not unusual for the Super Guppy at Bruntingthorpe to make a bid for freedom in these weather conditions.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2017, 13:43:58 »

Rail disruption around here, bloody chav trampolines on the track and have hit the OHLE.

Neighbours fence is over, clearly the company who replaced it two years ago did a great job ( 7ft post for a 6 foot panel....)

;D ;D ;D

A blokes heavy duty wooden gate is in the road opposite  :D No dammage here but its quite a violent Dorris  :(
Omegatitis

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • 99 2.5 V6, 03 2.2 CD FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2017, 14:05:04 »

Had a kids clowns tent come flying down the road but at present no damage but a bit blowey💨💨💨💨💨💨💨💨😩💨💨💨💨💃
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Elm327 code reader And OP COM available Locally PM Me

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2017, 14:35:58 »

Need to speak to the old man, its not unusual for the Super Guppy at Bruntingthorpe to make a bid for freedom in these weather conditions.

That'd need some tying down. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2017, 14:57:40 »

OH NO ! ! !

One of my mini-trees in a large pot got blown over  :o  I actually had to go out into the garden and put it upright  ;D

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2017, 15:58:24 »

That'd need some tying down. :o

It took out half a dozen cars at Manheim auctions the other year, its currently got a load of 1 ton bags inside to add ballast but as I pointed out, those wings are designed to lift 24 ton plus itself so it might be a little light still.

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2017, 16:54:47 »

I just had to rescue the BBQ as it had ended up blown across the garden (complete with gas cylinder!), the anti-leaf crap in the guttering has blown out and a garden chair was going for a walk.. ;D

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2017, 18:08:27 »

??? Had a bit of rain here in Newcastle but that's about it , don't know what all the fuss is about  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2017, 18:52:53 »

Had to swerve a bit to avoid a wheelie bin going across the road on its side earlier.

Gave up trying to keep our 3 wheelie bins upright, but tied the recycling one (which is brimmed with lightweight plastic that I've already had to pick up twice) to the post to hopefully stop it going over again.

Wind definitely died off now though :)
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2017, 21:04:26 »

Unfortunately some lady in the London area died in a storm related incident. Sad.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2017, 22:03:08 »

Unfortunately some lady in the London area died in a storm related incident. Sad.
Sorry, should have said Wolverhampton. :-[

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2017, 22:03:54 »

Birmingham.
Edit: beat me to it  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2017, 22:20:01 »

We lost one of the finials off the end ridge tiles. No damage but could have been lethal if we were under it at the time.

3 storey house, solid lump of terracotta 6" diameter  :o

Thankfully, of the 4 that were on the house, the other 3 went before we bought it, so now at least it matches!

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2017, 22:20:08 »

What storm  ::) Nothing to report from here, seems to have passed us by.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2017, 09:35:37 »

Wind blew a right hoolie here. Thought my new fence was gonna be history, but it stood it well. Neighbours fence suffered though. And the fir trees were bent at about 45 deg. Thankfully, only damage was the felt on the apex of the shed went walkabout. Lord knows where it is. Bins in the road blew everywhere, thankfully none collided with my cars ;) Watched one wheelie bin on its side go down the road like the clappers, I ran out, but luckily it shot past and smacked into a car down the road. Paint damage only, I think, could not see a dent :(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2017, 10:48:23 »

A little bit of soot came down our chimney. We had it rough.  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2017, 13:58:43 »

Gixer told me you like it rough...
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2017, 14:52:38 »

Gixer told me you like it rough...
Just distant memories now.  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2017, 16:37:48 »

BR retards are their finest, retard-site check service 'on-time'. Got down to station 'cancelled' as their had been a tree on the line for several hours. >:( >:( Walked back home and managed to arrange a lift, but had to dodge dead wood falling off my oak-tree and next-doors carport plastic roof disappearing down the road at high speed while standing outside waiting for lift.

Got train at Farnborough to Waterloo, Walked across Waterloo Bridge, where the wind was really blowing and met with colleague, who then got a call to say the person we were meeting from Chester had better cancel the meeting as he was stuck at Birmingham. It would have been a shame to waste the meeting time so we used colleagues expense account for a good meal and a drink or four. :) :) Trip on the way back, 7 hours later, same tree still on line. >:( >:(

Unhelpful taxi driver, where I could have shared a taxi, so walked 5 miles home, but stopped in a good pub 2/3 of the way for a break and a couple of pints refresher. :) :)

All in all an eventful, but not very productive day.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2017, 18:45:26 »

Two things... firstly, whether you can share a taxi or not rests with the person who booked it. Secondly, even if the bookee agrees, the driver may have a preexisting booking immediately after, and they're legally obliged to attempt to attend each booking promptly.

Secondly, it wasn't that windy...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 February 2017, 21:51:33 »

Two things... firstly, whether you can share a taxi or not rests with the person who booked it. Secondly, even if the bookee agrees, the driver may have a preexisting booking immediately after, and they're legally obliged to attempt to attend each booking promptly.

Secondly, it wasn't that windy...

No different to any other business the seller in under no obligation to sell. :y

But it was worth while doing the walk as the train service to Sandhurst is appalling and when you find they are not running, a 1.25 mile walk back to Farnborough Main, normally an least an hours wait in the queue before you have the privilege of paying the best part of £30 for a 5 mile trip. I shall walk it in future, as I've done half the distance of 2.5miles, just to walk from Farnborough Main to Farnborough North and back to get a taxi, if the trains aren't running.

Aa a customer I also have the right to not spend my money on IMO a poor overpriced service. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 February 2017, 22:15:02 »

Going to call you out on that... according to Rushmoor District Councils Hackney Carriage Tariffs,

http://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/2765/Information-for-the-public-about-taxis

A 5 mile(8800yards)  journey will cost £12.55 07:00-17:59; £13.20 18:00-22:59; £18.80 23:00-06:59.

If you feel it's overpriced, do write to the Council as they set the fares ;)

Equally if using Private Hire firms and paying that money, then consider that you agree the fare at the time of booking...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2017, 04:11:45 »

[quote author=Doctor Gollum link=t :-[

A 5 mile(8800yards)  journey will cost £12.55 07:00-17:59; £13.20 18:00-22:59; £18.80 23:00-06:59.

Equally if using Private Hire firms and paying that money, then consider that you agree the fare at the time of booking...
[/quote]

Rightly or wrongly I've been well overcharged through my own ignorance, shame on me for not knowing the charge rate and knowing they were online. :-[ :-[ :-[ Thanks for this, a little appreciated new knowledge now goes along way, but also shows how I've been ripped off. In the unlikely event in the future I use the ripoff taxis, I will use my iPhone to video the journey and if I'm ripped off again use the video evidence to call them to book, through Rushmoor Council as it is a local gold mine and maybe like with me they were taking liberties. :( :( :(

Much appreciate your help as an insider in helping with this and will use the knowledge against the charlitans in the future. :y :y :y

A question, do the fares go up after midnight? As I've always seemed to pay much more after this. I've had more reasonable fare at the £13-15 mark, but when trains were replaced by a bus serviced announced by BR retards as at the front of the station, but were actually as I found to my cost 1/4mile away!!! >:( >:( >:( I hired a taxis which had reached £23 by Blackwater, which the sharer gave me £20 and just under £30 by Sandhurst which is about 5miles from Farnborough Main?

Now angry from Sandhurst, where they have ripped me off, the ripoff price is now known and I will walk from now on, they can starve, before they get 1p in their business begging bowl from me. Sorry but the honest like you suffer from me being ripped off by the crooks, shame on them and one of my fundamental rules in life is you can only rip me off once as a few businesses have found in the past past, where I''ve never ever spent 1p with them again. >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 25 February 2017, 04:16:37 by Rods2 »

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2017, 05:59:30 »

[quote author=Doctor Gollum link=t :-[

Rightly or wrongly I've been well overcharged through my own ignorance, shame on me for not knowing the charge rate and knowing they were online. :-[ :-[ :-[ Thanks for this, a little appreciated new knowledge now goes along way, but also shows how I've been ripped off. In the unlikely event in the future I use the ripoff taxis, I will use my iPhone to video the journey and if I'm ripped off again use the video evidence to call them to book, through Rushmoor Council as it is a local gold mine and maybe like with me they were taking liberties. :( :( :(

Much appreciate your help as an insider in helping with this and will use the knowledge against the charlitans in the future. :y :y :y

A question, do the fares go up after midnight? As I've always seemed to pay much more after this. I've had more reasonable fare at the £13-15 mark, but when trains were replaced by a bus serviced announced by BR retards as at the front of the station, but were actually as I found to my cost 1/4mile away!!! >:( >:( >:( I hired a taxis which had reached £23 by Blackwater, which the sharer gave me £20 and just under £30 by Sandhurst which is about 5miles from Farnborough Main?

Now angry from Sandhurst, where they have ripped me off, the ripoff price is now known and I will walk from now on, they can starve, before they get 1p in their business begging bowl from me. Sorry but the honest like you suffer from me being ripped off by the crooks, shame on them and one of my fundamental rules in life is you can only rip me off once as a few businesses have found in the past past, where I''ve never ever spent 1p with them again. >:( >:( >:(
[/quote]

According to that tariff chart they roughly go up 50% after 11pm, as in DR G post....

I'm not sure how they get the meter to read about £30 when clearly the max charge is around £19 for your journey  :-\ Unless its added as extras  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 February 2017, 10:06:18 »

Unless its added as extras  :-\
You can get those sort of services in a taxi :o
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 February 2017, 10:09:45 »

I ended up having to get a taxi from Farnborough to Alton once, due to BR retards. >:(

IIRC, that was a bit of a ripoff, too. Fortunately, I'd been on the real ale all day, so it was no problem to leave him a little present shortly before I exited his vehicle. ;D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 February 2017, 10:49:35 »

>:( >:(

On further investigation , i found a snapped fence post , heavy bbq blown over into the corner and a few ornaments smashed  ::)
Omegatitis

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 February 2017, 10:52:21 »

30 minutes stuck in traffic would only add £6 between 07:00 and 22:59... 20p per 40 seconds... need to be going very, very slowly for 155.7 yards to take 40 seconds ;D

The thing is, different Councils have different rates, so if you got a Rushmoor licenced cab into Guildford for lunch one Sunday, it would be normal day rate. If you then got a Guildford cab back, it would be double time :o

When quoting fares, I always used to establish the distance and then approximate the fare from the meter rate,(in our case £4 for the first mile, then £2 for every subsequent mile...) plus 10% so a five mile journey would be quoted at £13.20, but would always meter less. Airport work was different in that people have alot of choice, so you aimed to be competitive not only with your local market, but also with what people were prepared to pay further afield.

As an example, I used to do a regular run from the New Forrest to Solihull and back every Wednesday for £120, which sounds ridiculous, but it meant visting my brother the either before or after, and it typically used the same amount of fuel as hacking around town chasing £4 fares...

When using taxis, do your research and bear in mind the following, in no particular order:

1. The fare card should always be on display. If it isn't, ask to see it. It should have the vehicle id on it too.

2. If prebooking a car, always agree the fare at the time of booking and confirm with the driver. Both amounts should be the same.

3. Most councils allow charges for extra people/bags. It would be a right idiot who actually did so.

4. If the journey is metered, it should always be the shortest distance, not the shortest time. These are not the same thing. Going from Horsham to Gatwick, the quickest route is nearly 8 MILES further. The exception to this rule is in London where the driver chooses the route... Tourists beware. My advice to anyone travelling by taxi within London is this: Always use Addison Lee or Uber as you know that the drivers are correctly licenced and the fare is always set in stone.

5. If you hail or book a cab, and subsequently share it with other people, then you are legally responsible for the whole fare and any extra charges, including soilage. You should ideally be the last person to be dropped off.

6. Soilage charges are typically capped at £100.

7. If a prebooked vehicle offers to take you without a booking, feel free to take the journey and make a note of the car and driver details. When you arrive, get out and walk off. If the driver complains, politely point out that without a booking, they aren't insured and if they're not insured they cannot charge and that perhaps they might be less greedy next time. Obviously don't go to your front door if your playing this game of chess.

8. An out of area Taxi should be treated as a prebooked car, ie you must have booked it to collect you. So a Guildford taxi couldn't legally collect you from Farnborough station without a booking.

9. Ensure that the tariff number on the meter matches that of the card. To use Rushmoors example: At  10:00, on a regular Wednesday the tariff rate on the meter should be 1 and the meter should display £2.70 if there are LESS than five of you.

10. Infants a children DO NOT count as luggage, every passenger should have their own seat. Four adults and one toddler is five passengers, a car licenced for 4 passengers doesn't have enough seats. Yosemite.

That's about it, and a lot of it iscommon sense :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 February 2017, 10:55:00 »

In item 3, idiot is not the word I used ;)
Unless its added as extras  :-\
You can get those sort of services in a taxi :o
Only if you ask nicely  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 February 2017, 13:08:06 »

9. Ensure that the tariff number on the meter matches that of the card. To use Rushmoors example: At  10:00, on a regular Wednesday the tariff rate on the meter should be 1 and the meter should display £2.70 if there are LESS than five of you.

An old trick that dodgy cabbies use to catch out the unwary is to have the meter set to night rate during the day.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 February 2017, 13:38:55 »

It's a wonder that some of them pass their CRB checks... dodgier than a very dodgy thing in pink spandex and wearing a Trump :o

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 February 2017, 14:52:50 »

4. If the journey is metered, it should always be the shortest distance, not the shortest time.

All our cars, which are private hire, now all use an app on an android phone.....data units and separated radios have been thrown away....
Part of the app is a 'meter', which automatically decides what the rate is. Any extras have to be entered manually. It uses GPS to calculate the distance travelled.
It also passes the destination details into google maps automatically, BUT it always picks the fastest route, not necessarily the cheapest. ::)

However as the customer can see the meter, then fare at the end of journey, must be correct , and they are not being overcharged, by their reckoning  ::)

Apparently fare overcharging complaints has gone down since using the app ..  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 February 2017, 16:17:56 »

Because the public don't know they're being screwed... that said, legally as Private Hire, the fare MUST be agreed at the time of booking.

If a meter is used, then it must be used in accordance with the licencing conditions and published fare tariffs. The operator and drivers are treading a very fine line using such an app in conjunction with a meter. One solid complaint and investigation could see licences revoked plus hefty fines/costs.

The way a meter works is by measuring distance all the while the vehicle is moving. It measures time only once effectively stationary (the tick over distance must be travelled at less than walking pace for the time element to kick in. In the Rushmoor example, that's 20p every 155.7 yards or 40 seconds.). Ergo the shortest distance MUST be the one travelled unless the customer specifically requests a particular route and does so fully knowing that the distance, and therefore cost, is greater.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 February 2017, 18:06:57 »

Because the public don't know they're being screwed... that said, legally as Private Hire, the fare MUST be agreed at the time of booking.

If a meter is used, then it must be used in accordance with the licencing conditions and published fare tariffs. The operator and drivers are treading a very fine line using such an app in conjunction with a meter. One solid complaint and investigation could see licences revoked plus hefty fines/costs.

The way a meter works is by measuring distance all the while the vehicle is moving. It measures time only once effectively stationary (the tick over distance must be travelled at less than walking pace for the time element to kick in. In the Rushmoor example, that's 20p every 155.7 yards or 40 seconds.). Ergo the shortest distance MUST be the one travelled unless the customer specifically requests a particular route and does so fully knowing that the distance, and therefore cost, is greater.

Only if the customer ask for a price...and the office use google maps set on fastest route....so same as the cars.....

As private hire we don't charge stationary travel....only if a customer asks to stop on route....then I just hit the wait button on the app...and while they are out the car, the app merrily adds 30p/min to the fare..as soon as it detects I'm moving its cancels the waiting and goes back to mileage....

Actually the app is in the customers favour most of time....short distances and yes the meter gives exact same fare....but go for a run of 20 miles or so and meter can be about a quid short in the customers favour....as its polls the gps every 10secs to see where I am and use direct line to calculate distance.....roads usually don't go in straight lines....so I expect u can appreciate why the customer favour...

As to 'treading a fine line using a meter'....all the private hire firms in Swindon use them now....private hire firms are different to hackney..PH can charge what they like...and usually cheaper than hackney tho....

You may want to look at Swindon BC charges for hackneys...significantly more than Rushmoor council I think....and the PH are the cheapest if you look at Bristol....Chippenham...Reading.....or anywhere around Swindon.... :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 February 2017, 18:25:00 »

The fine line re ph/meters refers simply to being bound by the conditions of meter usage ;)

Rushmere is notably cheaper than Horsham too, £3.80 start and 10p every 90m after 1200m, 30p/min waiting and x1.5 night rate.

Preagreed fare should be a Ph operators licencing condition :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 February 2017, 21:51:44 »

From Swindon BC Private Hire Driver Conditions:

10 TAXIMETERS

If the vehicle being driven is fitted with a taximeter:-
(a) The driver shall not cause the fare recorded thereon to be cancelled
until the hirer has had a reasonable opportunity of examining it and has
paid the fare.
(b) The driver shall ensure that when the vehicle is not hired the key is to
be locked and machinery kept inactive and the meter must show no
fare or other words at that time.
(c) The driver shall ensure that the taximeter is sufficiently illuminated that,
when in use, it is visible to all passengers.
(d) The driver shall ensure that the fare or charge shall be calculated from
the point in the Borough at which the hirer commences his/her journey
and shall not exceed that displayed on the taximeter at the completion
of his/her journey.
(e) The driver shall ensure that the taximeter is only brought into action at
the commencement of the hirer's journey.
Any proprietor who uses a Private Hire vehicle without having the meter tested and
approved by the Council commits an offence. Any person who tampers with any seal
on a taximeter, or who alters a taximeter with intent to mislead, commits an offence.

Private Hire Vehicle Licensing Conditions...

9 TAXIMETERS

If the vehicle is fitted with a taximeter:-

a) The proprietor shall cause the taximeter to be made of a type approved
by the Council and to be maintained in a sound condition at all times
and for it to be located within the vehicle in accordance with the
reasonable instructions of an Authorised Officer of the Council. Such a
location will be below the level of the top of the dashboard so that no
part of the meter may be seen from in front of the vehicle.
b) The proprietor shall cause the taximeter to be set to display the fare
rate adopted by the Operator and notified to the Council.
c) The proprietor shall not use or permit to be used a taximeter which has
not been sealed by the council to prevent unauthorised adjustment.
d) The proprietor shall not permit the taximeter to be fitted with an
automatic second tariff unless approved by the Council.
e) The proprietor shall cause the taximeter to be fitted with a key to bring
the machinery into action and cause the word "HIRED" to appear on the
face of the meter as soon as the vehicle is on hire.
f) The proprietor shall ensure that when the vehicle is not hired the key is
to be locked and machinery kept inactive and the meter must show no
fare or words at that time.
g) The proprietor shall ensure that when the taximeter is brought into
action the fare and permitted extras will be shown legibly on the face of
the meter and shall be no more than permitted by the approved tariff.
h) The proprietor shall ensure that "FARE" shall be printed on the face of
the meter in clear letters so as to apply to the fare recorded thereon.
i) The proprietor shall ensure that the taximeter is in such a position in the
private hire vehicle that the figures recorded thereon are clearly visible
to any passenger being carried therein.
j) The proprietor shall ensure that the taximeter is sufficiently illuminated
that, when in use, it is visible to all passengers.
k) The proprietor shall ensure that the taximeter is not replaced without
the prior permission of an Authorised Officer of the Council.
l) The proprietor shall ensure that the fare charged shall be calculated
from the point in the Borough at which the hirer commences his/her
journey and shall not exceed that displayed on the taximeter at the
completion of his/her journey.
m) The proprietor shall ensure that the taximeter is only brought into action
at the commencement of the journey.

Private Hire Operators Licence...

8 TAXIMETERS

(a) Where any vehicle operated by him/her is fitted with an approved
taximeter, the operator shall ensure that the taximeter is set to the fare
rate notified to the Council and properly sealed in accordance with
Council regulations.
(b) The operator shall ensure that vehicles operated by him/her which are
fitted with a taximeter, charge a fare or charge calculated from a point in
the Borough at which the hirer commences his/her journey and shall not
exceed that displayed on the taximeter at the finish of the journey, the
taximeter being brought into operation at the commencement of the
journey.
(c) Any proprietor who uses a Private Hire vehicle without having the meter
tested and approved by the Council commits an offence. Any person
who tampers with any seal on a taximeter, or who alters a taximeter
with intent to mislead, commits an offence.

Private Hire Vehicle Law...

TAXIMETERS IN VEHICLES
A private hire vehicle is not required to fit a taximeter, but if such a meter is fitted, it
must be correctly calibrated, tested and approved, (Section 71 LG(MP)A).

And last but not least, and this is the bit you could come unstuck on legally...

PROLONGATION OF JOURNEYS

A driver must proceed by the shortest route, subject to the instructions of the hirer
(Section 69 LG(MP)A).

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 February 2017, 22:16:22 »

Anyhoo...........back to storm damage. During the high winds a lump of concrete came of my roof, haven't bothered looking for exactly where it came from yet. Had a window blow out of the greenhouse, and as I left for work I notice the 6 foot high wooden gates on my drive were half way down as the post one of them is attached to was being pulled out of the wall.
When I got to work, it occurred to me that if the gates  come the whole way down they would land on the back of the Omega, as it was parked 3 feet away.
When I got home yesterday morning, sure enough the gates had been blown down and were sat against the back of the Omega. My heart sank. However, when I lifted the gates of the back off the car I found not a mark on it. The gates must have come down slowly and gently until they touched the car and then just stopped moving any further.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 February 2017, 23:21:53 »

Close call indeed  :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 26 February 2017, 10:33:25 »

Roll on driverless vehicles. Major manufacturers are gearing up for mass production in the 2020-2022 timeframe. It is expected that the main transition will be over the 2022-2030 timeframe. After 2030 will driven vehicles still be allowed as speeds can be potentially much higher on freeways and motorways, spacing closer to increase capacity, optimum driving algorithms and speeds will reduce queuing and in all circumstances accident rates will be much lower?

Reduced accident rates has been the main driver for Google and Tesla, but also with Google where not being able to drive in the US with their limited public transport options. Aging populations means disabilities are a growing problem, especially cognitive decline and the increasing number of blind and partially sighted.

Tesla have reported that their accident rates for automatically driven cars are currently only about 30% of manually driven ones. They say as the AI improves and more vehicles are AI driven this will fall much further. Two areas that are still problematic for AI driven vehicles are snow and thick fog, so it is going to be interesting to see how that is fixed as it is also a major problem with manually driven ones too.

The improvements that AI will make to the running costs for all commercial vehicles, including taxis, accident rates and with the amount of development behind the AI, it will in my view, make the transition inevitable and sooner rather than later.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 26 February 2017, 10:40:14 »

If only Albs Omega had AI it would have been able to move out of the way of the falling gates.  ::)  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 27 February 2017, 09:16:20 »

Two areas that are still problematic for AI driven vehicles are snow and thick fog, so it is going to be interesting to see how that is fixed as it is also a major problem with manually driven ones too.

They'll get stuck and crash, same as manually driven ones. Then someone will die. Then they'll be banned, thankfully  :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 February 2017, 17:14:50 »

Two areas that are still problematic for AI driven vehicles are snow and thick fog, so it is going to be interesting to see how that is fixed as it is also a major problem with manually driven ones too.

They'll get stuck and crash, same as manually driven ones. Then someone will die. Then they'll be banned, thankfully  :P
I think Tesla have already killed a few....
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 February 2017, 19:05:17 »

I think Tesla have already killed a few....
Not quite, it's the organic part that fails... either through Darwinism or blind faith... and we all know how religion turned out ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.