Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, me & stuff ....  (Read 859 times)

Lincs Robert

So, me & stuff ....
« on: 25 February 2017, 09:45:31 »

Ok, I'm back & will look in from time to time more in the GD area than Omega related as I haven't had one for over 4 years now.

I'm now Mk4 Mondeo man and have been for some years. For a couple of years I ran a 2.5T estate, with the 5cyl Volvo engine, it was superb but difficult to make the economics work mileage wise using it for work. So I was forced to get an oil burner, which uses half the fuel and only costs £30 a year to tax rather than  almost £300. If it wasn't for work I would have kept the estate. Interestingly, I drove my old MFL Elite a year ago and was surprised how small it felt inside compared to the Mondeo. Enough about Mondeos though, could be contentious on this site ....

For almost a year I did some contract work for a big IT company - supporting a major tender they were working on, but they withdrew, after spending several million in bid costs - go figure.  I've now got something local, which I don't really enjoy much. They are treating me with kid gloves at the moment though. I become very ill on an overseas business trip in December, was hospitalised for many weeks and am only now well enough to even think about going back to work. So ive had lots of time on my hands. It's a shame it's this time of year as I could have been painting the outside of the house - but it's been too cold for that.

I've had great support from family and the NHS/my Doctor, but the end is in sight and in a few weeks will have to get into a daily work routine again. Due to the DVT I had I won't be allowed to fly again for a while - which is about the only part of the job I enjoyed, so I'll have to knuckle down and grin and bear it - like a lot of people do.

That's all for now folks .....

Rob

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So, me & stuff ....
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2017, 10:11:32 »

So now taking lots of rat poison then ;D

Major thing is, you're through it, and they'll likely keep a close eye on it for the rest of your days :y
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2017, 10:23:00 »

Major thing is, you're through it, and they'll likely keep a close eye on it for the rest of your days :y

Indeed yes, only seems a 3 month treatment from what I can see - although what Doc decides to do with me then is upto him. I had some complications re acute kidney failure at the same time, so was in a bit of a pickle for a while!

The root cause was 12 economy flights in 20 days .....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2017, 10:59:18 »

Indeed yes, only seems a 3 month treatment from what I can see - although what Doc decides to do with me then is upto him. I had some complications re acute kidney failure at the same time, so was in a bit of a pickle for a while!

The root cause was 12 economy flights in 20 days .....
Ah the perks of business travel...  ten years ago, you would have sat at the front rather than the back ::)

Take it steady when you do go back :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2017, 11:23:29 »

You are 100% correct on that one, 10 years ago it would have been business class all the way.

Thing is, our MD goes out to Australia a few times a year & even he flies economy - so I've got no chance of bragging upgrades out of them. I actually don't think it was the long haul element that did me in, that was on a A380 - reckon it was the other flights around the region, some of which were 4+ hours Cramped up down the back of a 737.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2017, 20:28:34 »

I don't miss flying all over the world at all. The thrill of international travel wears very thin after years of staying in hotels that you arrive at after dark and leave before the sun comes up :'(

When you do arrive in time for dinner you eat on your own while dealing with phone calls from clients and the company. (U.S. based so they're 6 or so hours behind)

Working in Holland (local job my boss said) I was on first name terms with the KLM flight attendants  :y :y :y

Good experience but very wearing.

Happy now to just have a thirty mile commute each way to a fixed site  :y :y :y
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.