Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The EU Deal  (Read 1805 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
The EU Deal
« on: 25 February 2017, 13:56:28 »

Will there be one or will we just walk away.  As Teresa May said " No deal is better than a bad deal "  ::)

I have my doubts, as I've seen a couple of reports recently that have said that the European Parliament will insist that the EU keeps control over UK environmental policy and that the EU fishing fleet should continue to have the right to fish UK waters. Both of which I'd have thought will be unacceptable to BREXIT Britain.  :-\

The other thing that is really getting my goat at the moment is all the leftie/liberal hand wringers demanding that the government guarantee EU citizens who are already here the right to stay.  That's all well and good and while I don't want to see anyone kicked out, surely any such move guaranteeing peoples residence rights has to be reciprocal with Brits living in EU countries accorded the same rights.  ::)

To me it just smacks of leftie politicians being more interested in the rights of migrants, than in their own peoples welfare and it seems that they will willingly sell the million or so Brits living in Spain etc down the river!  >:(   

Have they learnt nothing from the referendum?  ::)

Rant over!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: The EU Deal
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2017, 14:26:48 »

Understandably the expat situation (Brits abroad) and Eu citizens in the UK excercises us expats - often very heatedly on expat forums. The concensus is that May is understandably holding that card close to her chest.A mass relocation wouldn't serve either side. Don't be surprised if come the day of reckoning that no one has proper numbers of how many Brit expats there are in Europe. France for example actively discourages us registering- not necessary and just an overhead of paperwork. In Spain the situation is equally complex. A lot still live under the radar i.e. on a long holiday. At the other end of the scale are a small number who follow the rule books. In between lie a large number half registered as they see fit. So maybe in the health scheme here (as a dependent of a pensioner for example) but still paying tax (less) as a UK taxpayer on whatever incomes they have.

My guess is nothing will change for those abroad and registered for over five years as they are covered by (I think) the Vienna convention. Those with less than five years who knows. The big question mark is the availability of healthcare to the expat in the host country.

I have no doubt there will be a deal BUT have my suspicions that it will drag on for many years as more complex issues surface. In the meantime issues will be grandafthered i.e. continue as they are until the new thing is agreed. Here are just a few:

Customs inspections at Dover (remember the queues pre EU and that was much less commerce)
Irish /Uk border
Brit workers rights in foreign company in Uk/ Brit workers rights in foreign company in EU
The exit cost of £60Bn though I would counter that they could sell off (privatise) some of the infrastructure bought by Britains contributions so the net cost might actually be negative! The irony there is that is what the EU has been making Greece sell its family silver.

So long as both sides keep clear heads and act like adults then it should be achievable. I can't see that happening as the public will want to publically express their outrage at every little detail and the press and social media won't be at all helpful. Sadly , unlike a divorce which can be worked out behind closed doors this will have to be visible and take account of protest groups.

On a lighter note, EU fishing fleet using UK waters? Well if you in Britain ate fish it might be a concern! However if it becomes an issue just use the Royal Navy. Our sparkly new carrier will be ready by then too.  :y

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2017, 14:30:33 »

That's all well and good and while I don't want to see anyone kicked out, surely any such move guaranteeing peoples residence rights has to be reciprocal with Brits living in EU countries accorded the same rights.  ::)

My understanding was that this was the whole reason they were campaigning for this provision.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2017, 15:46:34 »

That's all well and good and while I don't want to see anyone kicked out, surely any such move guaranteeing peoples residence rights has to be reciprocal with Brits living in EU countries accorded the same rights.  ::)

My understanding was that this was the whole reason they were campaigning for this provision.

No this is not how I understand it at all Jimmy.  It should be a reciprocal deal and as far as I'm aware Theresa May has said she would like to sort this issue ASAP and rightly so, but the EU has insisted that there can be no negotiation until A50 is delivered. 

It's the leftie/liberal mob like Tim Farron, Nick Clegg, etc who are pressing the government to unilaterally guarantee EU citizens in the UK the right to stay. I've heard nothing from them or during various speeches in the Lords about Brits rights in EU countries and it's really getting my goat!  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2017, 15:58:45 »

That sounds straightforward enough... invoke Article 50 and watch the Eurocrats come begging ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2017, 16:20:31 »

Will there be one or will we just walk away.  As Teresa May said " No deal is better than a bad deal "  ::)

I have my doubts, as I've seen a couple of reports recently that have said that the European Parliament will insist that the EU keeps control over UK environmental policy and that the EU fishing fleet should continue to have the right to fish UK waters. Both of which I'd have thought will be unacceptable to BREXIT Britain.  :-\

The other thing that is really getting my goat at the moment is all the leftie/liberal hand wringers demanding that the government guarantee EU citizens who are already here the right to stay.  That's all well and good and while I don't want to see anyone kicked out, surely any such move guaranteeing peoples residence rights has to be reciprocal with Brits living in EU countries accorded the same rights. 

To me it just smacks of leftie politicians being more interested in the rights of migrants, than in their own peoples welfare and it seems that they will willingly sell the million or so Brits living in Spain etc down the river!  >:(   

Rant over!  ;D

What happens if this scenario plays out?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2017, 16:24:55 »

Understandably the expat situation (Brits abroad) and Eu citizens in the UK excercises us expats - often very heatedly on expat forums. The concensus is that May is understandably holding that card close to her chest.A mass relocation wouldn't serve either side. Don't be surprised if come the day of reckoning that no one has proper numbers of how many Brit expats there are in Europe. France for example actively discourages us registering- not necessary and just an overhead of paperwork. In Spain the situation is equally complex. A lot still live under the radar i.e. on a long holiday. At the other end of the scale are a small number who follow the rule books. In between lie a large number half registered as they see fit. So maybe in the health scheme here (as a dependent of a pensioner for example) but still paying tax (less) as a UK taxpayer on whatever incomes they have.

My guess is nothing will change for those abroad and registered for over five years as they are covered by (I think) the Vienna convention. Those with less than five years who knows. The big question mark is the availability of healthcare to the expat in the host country.

I have no doubt there will be a deal BUT have my suspicions that it will drag on for many years as more complex issues surface. In the meantime issues will be grandafthered i.e. continue as they are until the new thing is agreed. Here are just a few:

Customs inspections at Dover (remember the queues pre EU and that was much less commerce)
Irish /Uk border
Brit workers rights in foreign company in Uk/ Brit workers rights in foreign company in EU
The exit cost of £60Bn though I would counter that they could sell off (privatise) some of the infrastructure bought by Britains contributions so the net cost might actually be negative! The irony there is that is what the EU has been making Greece sell its family silver.

So long as both sides keep clear heads and act like adults then it should be achievable. I can't see that happening as the public will want to publically express their outrage at every little detail and the press and social media won't be at all helpful. Sadly , unlike a divorce which can be worked out behind closed doors this will have to be visible and take account of protest groups.

On a lighter note, EU fishing fleet using UK waters? Well if you in Britain ate fish it might be a concern! However if it becomes an issue just use the Royal Navy. Our sparkly new carrier will be ready by then too.  :y

I don't recall any mention of this prior to the vote. ::)

Still, it won't take long to find with the 350 million we'll be saving each week. :)
« Last Edit: 25 February 2017, 16:28:02 by Doctor Opti »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2017, 16:40:40 »

We could become North Korea's new best mate?  :D  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2017, 17:03:53 »

Irish /Uk border

I don't recall any mention of this prior to the vote. ::)

Still, it won't take long to find with the 350 million we'll be saving each week. :)

No the case for and against leaving wasn't presented very well to the British people by the government of the day as it should have been. But then they arrogantly didn't need to as it was a done deal to remain. Anyone seen Cameron since?

It isn't a laughing matter. the 350 million a week will just about service the hefty £60 bn debt. If the negotiations do appear to be going badly I will offer my services as I have a few more ideas to offer - we have after all been a net contributor (one of six?) for years. Best keep a lid on them for now. Cards chest close play. I also have my eyes on a sixth of the 21,000 fine wines and cognacs in Brussels cellar but that isn't a secret.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2017, 22:04:58 »

The other thing that is really getting my goat at the moment is all the leftie/liberal hand wringers demanding that the government guarantee EU citizens who are already here the right to stay.  That's all well and good and while I don't want to see anyone kicked out, surely any such move guaranteeing peoples residence rights has to be reciprocal with Brits living in EU countries accorded the same rights. 

Rant over!  ;D

WTO rules come into force. A set of tariffs (said to average at around 3- 4%) apply to both parties. Some people say this is a disaster scenario. Others say it isn't the best possible deal, but would still leave the UK  better off than it is now.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2017, 22:38:58 »

Thought I saw somewhere that Gina woman is looking at more court action. And if that fails, trying some other means. Bitch !!!!!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2017, 09:44:03 »

Thought I saw somewhere that Gina woman is looking at more court action. And if that fails, trying some other means. Bitch !!!!!!

She's just a puppet and has some very wealthy and powerful people from within the establishment pulling the strings.  ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2017, 09:18:59 »

On the topic of EU citizens being allowed to remain after we exit.. according to the Grauniad, May already offered that to the EU as part of a deal and was told to GTFO by (allegedly) Merkel.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/17/deal-citizens-rights-full-eu-theresa-may-brexit-referendum
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.