Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good day for sport!  (Read 3711 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Good day for sport!
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2019, 19:39:19 »

.......that all certainly knocks the sport today into second place! ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2019, 19:42:14 »

Depends where your interests lie, with yesterday or today.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2019, 19:46:16 »

Am sat sitting at flying legends Duxford. Having attended British GP in a previous life for 10 years. Don't miss all BS, etc.  Rather pleasant sat listening to 1940's music,  and the impending roar of Merlin's.

That is my idea of a dream Sunday afternoon as well 8) 8) 8) ;)

A very enjoyable day, arms length from all the warbirds, glorious sounds,, £35 entry. Take you own food,  flying from 1400-1700.  And plenty to see before hand.

What a great sight that is!! 8) 8) 8) :y

Sound was better, then you also got the B17, the fake bf-109's, dc-3's. O and some American things, and a few hours around the various hangers. :y very good day.

Yes, it is the sound that lifts my eyes upwards when Merlin engined fighters fly over our part of Kent.

Bloody marvellous though to see a mini "Big Wing" :-* :-* :-*

Never seen that live, but that picture of those 12 Spitfires* over Duxford, where some of the (unsuccessful according to many)  experiments with Trafford Leigh-Mallory Big Wing of up to 60 fighters took place in September 1940,  is amazing.  8) 8) :y
* Were they all Spitfires? Cannot identify any Hurricans.  ???

All spitfires,  not going to list all all the MK's.  You can even dress in period costume,, It's only an hour's drive from Kent Mrs zoom.
Hoof'land storeman.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2019, 19:49:30 »

Depends where your interests lie, with yesterday or today.

Yes indeed, but my comments were aimed at biggriffin who obviously values history and aviation as I do, and the memories of those who gave their lives so we can all enjoy sport today in relative freedom.

Nothing more, nothing less :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2019, 19:59:57 »

Am sat sitting at flying legends Duxford. Having attended British GP in a previous life for 10 years. Don't miss all BS, etc.  Rather pleasant sat listening to 1940's music,  and the impending roar of Merlin's.

A very enjoyable day, arms length from all the warbirds, glorious sounds,, £35 entry. Take you own food,  flying from 1400-1700.  And plenty to see before hand.

Sound was better, then you also got the B17, the fake bf-109's, dc-3's. O and some American things, and a few hours around the various hangers. :y very good day.

Yes, it is the sound that lifts my eyes upwards when Merlin engined fighters fly over our part of Kent.

Never seen that live, but that picture of those 12 Spitfires* over Duxford, where some of the (unsuccessful according to many)  experiments with Trafford Leigh-Mallory Big Wing of up to 60 fighters took place in September 1940,  is amazing.  8) 8) :y

All spitfires,  not going to list all all the MK's.  You can even dress in period costume,, It's only an hour's drive from Kent Mrs zoom.

Yes indeed, and I have visited there many times with the family and by myself.

We used to travel up to Duxford from Bristol in the 1980's. The most memorable visit was with one of our American friends, a retired USAF retired Lieutenant Colonel and his wife. Although he had served as a fighter pilot in the Korean War, and been an instructor of pilots flying B52's over Vietnam, so all after WW2, He had been part of a panel of Americans who funded the American Memorial at Duxford, with, if I remember, the names of 80,000+ aircrew and their aircraft lost displayed on multiple glass panels.  My God, that was one of those most emotional times of my life as I stood there looking at them all.......!! :'(
« Last Edit: 14 July 2019, 20:06:38 by Lizzie Zoom »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2019, 20:20:33 »

We used to travel up to Duxford from Bristol in the 1980's. The most memorable visit was with one of our American friends, a retired USAF retired Lieutenant Colonel and his wife. Although he had served as a fighter pilot in the Korean War, and been an instructor of pilots flying B52's over Vietnam, so all after WW2, He had been part of a panel of Americans who funded the American Memorial at Duxford, with, if I remember, the names of 80,000+ aircrew and their aircraft lost displayed on multiple glass panels.  My God, that was one of those most emotional times of my life as I stood there looking at them all.......!! :'(

I think that is now at Madingley American cemetery,..  :'(
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 July 2019, 20:26:57 »

Bad shot of the line.

Hoof'land storeman.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 July 2019, 20:38:59 »

According to this biggriffin it would seem the panels still line the pathway into the American Aircraft Hanger Memorial :
https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/american-air-museum
 :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2019, 21:20:36 »

According to this biggriffin it would seem the panels still line the pathway into the American Aircraft Hanger Memorial :
https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/american-air-museum
 :y

We must have missed, that somehow, as we went into that display

Love them bell Huey's,, and use to get hissed off with being used as a target by the A10's when the use to do low level around Cambs- Suffolk, when I was a boy van driver,,  go round a corner and themA10 would come flying down the droves taking shots at you with the camera guns, use to get worried, if they were returning from the ranges, praying that the safety was on or they were empty,, because that would have made a story. :o
« Last Edit: 14 July 2019, 21:25:23 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 July 2019, 08:48:33 »

Ah, the Huey's, oh yes.

I was blessed by not only having the aforementioned USAF retired Lieutenant Colonel as a friend of our family, but also another retired USAF officer, Harrison, who flew the Huey's during the Vietnam War.  Trouble was, although the former was more than happy to talk about his days flying fighters over Korea, then in B52's over Vietnam, with us even being taken once on a guided tour around the USAF Albuquerque Air Base, viewing at close hand a B52, the Huey pilot would NEVER talk about his experiences in 'Nam'. The Lt Col, Sam, always said that many of his fellow servicemen who fought in that war, close to, or on the ground, saw too much and became absolutely disgusted in their country's involvement, as did the normally very joyful and full of mischief, Harrison.

Obviously that last fact I knew only too well from a wealth of historic accounts of those Americans that were there, let alone from the media coverage :'( :'(
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.