Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: time for a change  (Read 8581 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: time for a change
« Reply #30 on: 28 June 2013, 21:47:02 »

5 Series, 530d, or a 530i  :y.

Tough choice probably 530i or 535i I'd go for  :)

Then again apparently the 530D does 0-62 in 7.3 seconds and very good mpg  :o

Audi V8 TDI's are very impressive too, great performance and great economy!

Like the look of the Audi A8's nice finish inside and out A6 not bad either  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 June 2013, 21:53:00 »

A8's make Omega feel like a 1990's Skoda in terms of build and feel, whether that equals reliability I can't say. Lack of decent forums for DIY work puts me off, as I love the driving position and layout of the dash and arm rest area.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 June 2013, 21:53:34 »

New ones (F11) are a fair bit quicker and the E61 is no slouch, and even better on fuel. I've got one at the minute, not a lot will get away from it  :y.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 June 2013, 22:11:03 »

A8's make Omega feel like a 1990's Skoda in terms of build and feel, whether that equals reliability I can't say. Lack of decent forums for DIY work puts me off, as I love the driving position and layout of the dash and arm rest area.

I bet  ;D .. They do look very nicely laid out the A8's although as with the new 5 series I don't like the exterior looks of the new A8's interior looks very nice though, Servicing, parts and reliability need to be looked into mind before getting one... But it does look pretty safe that there are nice cars out there that will one day be a viable Omega replacement  :y

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #34 on: 28 June 2013, 22:36:50 »

the thing to remember is Budget......   and the inevitable wanting the moon on a stick,  i want what doesn't often happen,  a decent low mileage reliable cheap bargain of the century, if i had a bit more time,  i'd have more money.....  but,  i've got to go to Llangwnadl (look it up,  it's the arse end of the arse end of nowhere, with no short cuts getting there.)  in 2 weeks,  then again 2 weeks later, then arbroath early august,  between these i'll be commuting to camden, and bristol.... 

I like the idea of the 5 series....  hadn't even considered the jag till i spotted an gorgeous one in blue going for a shade under 2 grand,  with FJMDSH 83K miles,  and more bells and whistles than i can shake several sticks at.....   every option, literally.....    then i looked up the specs, got the parkers guide write up,  did a comparison with the omega and found that i thought i could live with it....      and although i was aware of it being a glorified mondeo, since mondeos are apparently much better than they were in mk1 guise..   i thought i'd give it some thought.....  if you see what i mean

i've got no problem with it being an old man's car,  i'm only a hop skip and jump from 50 and due to be a grandparent twice this year....  first grandson due in 5 weeks.   next in september....

however the rust and electrical issues bother me.....

rather like the 4wd bit ....  Mother is moving to the arse of beyond, (Llangwnadl...      really,   next stop ireland...  it's also earth quake central at the moment...  maybe the land has heard my mum is coming back and is trying to escape ;)   )  and there's no hope of getting there in an mv6 if more than a flake of snow falls.

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 June 2013, 22:43:47 »

PS, yes Josh it would be good to see you again mate.....  still reckon i owe you a curry for the help getting the Mv6 way back when.....   

I have a 51 plate elite estate on the hook on flea bay....   we'll wait and see if there's a last minute bidding rush.... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221245281751?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

before heading off to 5 series or V70 territory,  but if you know of any sources that fit my budget and desires....  i'd be happy to hand you cash and trust in what you turn up if it comes to it mate.... 

one more thing....  models desired should either have, or be capable of having retrofitted,  SAT NAV.

i go too many weird places not to have it,  and i dislike screen mounted anythings intensely... 

*i have a tom tom....  and an iphone,  but i LIKE to use the NCDC system , it doesn't obscure vision, or remove attention from the road.... and i'd like something similar in the next car....

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 June 2013, 22:47:15 »

PS, yes Josh it would be good to see you again mate.....  still reckon i owe you a curry for the help getting the Mv6 way back when.....   

I have a 51 plate elite estate on the hook on flea bay....   we'll wait and see if there's a last minute bidding rush.... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221245281751?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

before heading off to 5 series or V70 territory,  but if you know of any sources that fit my budget and desires....  i'd be happy to hand you cash and trust in what you turn up if it comes to it mate.... 

one more thing....  models desired should either have, or be capable of having retrofitted,  SAT NAV.

i go too many weird places not to have it,  and i dislike screen mounted anythings intensely... 

*i have a tom tom....  and an iphone,  but i LIKE to use the NCDC system , it doesn't obscure vision, or remove attention from the road.... and i'd like something similar in the next car....

Thought that looked familiar...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=115909.msg1465242#msg1465242

Best of luck either way  ;)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 June 2013, 22:23:42 »

i got some extra photos from the seller tonight,   the tailgate is victim of the usual wiper arm area rust ,  quite badly really....    if i win, first thing to do is find another bloody boot.....    my older Y plater 3.2 Mv6 is in MUCH better nick there,  shame it's silver....

most of the rest of it looks okay,  but "of it's age and mileage"  it's not pristine....   but it's not a dog either....   or seemingly so . 

I've bid a fair price for it....   if anyone bids more they can have it....   but they'll be paying over the odds. (and in which case, would they also like to pay similar OTT prices for an Mv6 estate  with 1 year old original lowered chassis Shocks and springs , drop links, bushes ,and wishbones ??? )

cam belt change is not due quite yet....   

Despite my better judgement i'm also rather attracted to an 05 plate X type estate , 3.0 sport premium .....  in metallic white.....    miles higher than i want,  price at top of my range....  but opps me it's pretty....       as is a graphite ish 2.5 SE one up in St Helens ...   

utterly failing to find the right 5 series...   

there was an 06 plater later one on for £2600 on 105k miles,  priced for quick sale.... but A) it sounded dodgy , B) i aint got £2600 quite....   not if i want to be able to drive back from buying it....   or eat for the next week.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 June 2013, 23:47:25 »

ouch......      not come across any mention of this issue till now..... and it has me worried.....thanks for the heads up.... very informative....   

been looking at 53/04 V6 estates for a couple of grand ...  it HAS to be an estate no matter what i get..... 

might still win the 51 elite estate  on bay of fleas on sunday,  so no sudden moves just yet.....    but i'm preparing the ground....   I need to replace or repair by the 12th of july....    when i start doing galactic miles again.... 

figured if i get something this weekend/early next week i have time to have it serviced and checked out (assuming it needs it) ....

there's a nice looking 2004 53 plate 2.5 V6SE Estate  up in St Helen's  , but you can be damn sure skippy if i go up there to check it out  ,  i'll be sticking my hand up inside those sills.   

can't afford much newer at the moment,   trying to balance the difference between  age and mileage....  was aiming for sub100k if i could get it and under £2.5k

It's you is it that has come riding in with what he thinks will be the winning bid? How big's your wallet?....... ::) ::) :D :D

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 June 2013, 00:03:10 »

come riding in?  3rd bidder ,  on day 1 or 2 of the auction.... been the highest bidder since then....     and if you want to pay more than I bid,  be very welcome.....    I'll go buy the jag instead.... 

if it wasn't for the tailgate i'd bid a lot more.....  I have a very interesting photo of the glovebox. 

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 June 2013, 00:04:08 »

PS, bid before i was aware there had been talk on here.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 June 2013, 00:14:16 »

PS, bid before i was aware there had been talk on here.

Sorry, that was cruel..... ;) ;)  I am not bidding on that, looks very nice though, we were looking for an estate but decided to get the whole hog done on the saloon, belts etc, so we are keeping that....... :y :y

There are a couple of estates that are tempting though......... ;) ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30 June 2013, 11:00:12 »

Don't know about the gearboxes on X-types,all I've ever heard of in that area is that the weakness is in the transfer box on the 4wd versions.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30 June 2013, 21:10:49 »

Didn't win the Omega,        even with a telematics and CID etc,  i'm not paying £1400 for a car only  a few weeks younger than my existing one....  + no tax,  so add another £280 ,  brings it up to nigh on £1700...,

at which point , i may as well.  either fix my mv6 up ,  or spend only a couple of hundred more and pickup a  4 year younger car....   seen a 3.0 diesel elite veccy on about a 54 plate ....  120k miles....   reckon a big diseasel ought to be just about run in then,....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 June 2013, 21:12:03 »

Whats the budget Max?

As Kevin says, BMW 5 Touring? Has to be said lot more examples to be had of that.

V8's too  :-*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.