Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hit a kerb  (Read 1350 times)

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
hit a kerb
« on: 09 September 2014, 08:09:41 »

last week whilst going to get some parts for my bike i hit a kerb hard whilst pulling into a park >:( i did in the sidewall of my tyre which doesn't impress as they aren't cheap tyres and as the money is a bit tight right now i decided to go with my winter tyres straight away, so i put them on and the front right (where i hit) must have a slow puncture so i filled it with air and went for a test drive, over 60kmph the steering wobbles like anything, i wouldn't take it on the autobahn for example it's that bad, anyone ever experienced this and have any idea what it would be, it feels like the wheel itself is bent but that's not the case as it's another complete set of tyres, could it be that the tyre isn't sitting right on the rim as it was completely flat?, what would be an obvious victim of a hard kerb hit, many thanks,
Richard.
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

05omegav6

Re: hit a kerb
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2014, 09:12:04 »

You can bend the trackrod/wishbone if you catch it just wrong...

Get the geometry checked, visually check the track rod and wishbone then check all the joints for play. Suspect either of the track rod ends or the lower ball joint :-\

Actually check for play first :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2014, 10:00:03 »

Maybe you knocked a weight off the wheel rim.  :-\ 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2014, 10:09:03 »

Maybe you knocked a weight off the wheel rim.  :-\
Tyre replaced so assume it's been rebalanced :-\ wouldn't be the first time a weight has fallen off though.

Doing the sidewall suggests a fairly hefty knock :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2014, 10:27:58 »

Possibly it's torn the last remaining bit of rubber out of one of the wishbone bushes? Wheel vibration can be more noticeable when the bushes have failed. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2014, 13:07:40 »

lift the car and as said check the play on all axes.. also measure the tyre bumper distances for both sides and compare to another miggy.. a strong hit damaging the tyre must also damage some components..

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2014, 18:51:14 »

I'm such an idiot, in a rush to finish the job after welding up 2" holes in the exhaust!! i over-looked that the spacers for the aluminium rims had stuck to the hub and therefore not letting the steel rims sit snug on the hub, my goodness what an amateur mistake!!, anyway all is well again in Miggy land and she drives straight again!! thanks for the help i was there ready for the worst!!

Richard.
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2014, 22:38:26 »

lift the car and as said check the play on all axes.. also measure the tyre bumper distances for both sides and compare to another miggy.. a strong hit damaging the tyre must also damage some components..

...so cem, you where saying ? ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.