Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bilstein b4's  (Read 1734 times)

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
bilstein b4's
« on: 13 March 2015, 19:30:51 »

well the time came to say goodbye to my 2.2 estate and i sort of upgraded to a saab 9-5!! well upgraded in ways of horsepower anyway!! but this is an Aero which is a sport suspension car but the handling is shite compared to my old 2.2 which had the sport springs and b4's, i really liked the b4's on the omega and am really tempted to put them on again but everyone on the saab sites go for the b6's which i think would be as hard and crashy as what i've got at the moment, so my real question here is do you think the b4's are a good shock across the board or is it that the b4's are just a great shock for the omega,
thanks,
Rich.

whilst i'm ranting about the saab does anyone know offhand what diameter front roll bar is on the omega as the saab has a 21mm up front and 17mm at the back but still rolls like a ship in a storm.
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: bilstein b4's
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2015, 22:14:09 »

I'm watching this with interest - I have a non-Omega project that's going to need uprated suspension. Once it's got bodywork. And a gearbox. And and engine. And paint. And I've got a time machine.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2015, 02:16:05 »

have B6 shocks with irmscher springs on my omega and compare to B4 they are lot I mean lot more stiffer :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2015, 11:08:38 »

I'd expect the Saab to be a lot firmer anyway.  B4's are normally the aftermarket OE equivalent, with B6 being the sports version.

So not sure you'd see a softer ride with B4s on the Saab. Its FWD with decent power, so you have to accept a harsher ride.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2015, 13:05:33 »

have B6 shocks with irmscher springs on my omega and compare to B4 they are lot I mean lot more stiffer :y
My black estate requires new shicks and dithering between B4 and B6... When you say alot stiffer, how is the ride? Any harshness? What size/profile tyres are you running?

Plan is new shocks, Irmscher springs, poly front and rear front wishbone bushes and arb bushes, will be running 245/40/18s...

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2015, 16:01:56 »

My black estate requires new shicks and dithering between B4 and B6... When you say alot stiffer, how is the ride? Any harshness? What size/profile tyres are you running?

Plan is new shocks, Irmscher springs, poly front and rear front wishbone bushes and arb bushes, will be running 245/40/18s...

Prepare for a harsh ride then.

Have B6's and Eibach springs and am poly'd up front.

When I had 19's if you went over a crisp packet it felt like going over a pot hole. Now back on 17's and it's still unforgivingly firm.

Yours setup suggests definite firmness!

Matthew
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2015, 16:42:31 »

White estate has same set up except GM plod shocks and gm plod springs, so is firm without being harsh...

Handling is niced and crisp though, well for an Omega :D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2015, 14:57:18 »

Admittedly I was comparing what are fairly old springs and nearing-the-end dampers, to brand new B4s/replacement springs, but I found the B4 setup to feel excellent. Can't say what the B6s would be like, but B4s 'enough for me'  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2015, 15:07:49 »

Black Estate would definitely require B6's, as IIRC they go better. ::)

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2015, 22:11:16 »

I bought the b4's and the eibach springs as was  told its the best set up for comfort and handling and the eibach springs are the same as steinmetz who get eibach to make there's but then add there mark up.

Can not comment any further though as I never got round to fitting them and they sit still brand new in the garage. :'(

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2015, 23:08:02 »

Prepare for a harsh ride then.

Have B6's and Eibach springs and am poly'd up front.

When I had 19's if you went over a crisp packet it felt like going over a pot hole. Now back on 17's and it's still unforgivingly firm.

Yours setup suggests definite firmness!

Matthew
that's about right what Matthew say.
I have 19 with 35 profile but tbh when I had 225/45/18 for winter there was no difference in ride comfort

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2015, 23:29:29 »

Ok, B4s it is then :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.