Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc error message on CCRT CD player  (Read 5296 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Disc error message on CCRT CD player
« on: 17 August 2015, 13:14:08 »

2000 PFL CDX estate, came with a CCRT head unit and an excellent 6 CD magazine in the boot. Occasionally discs I have played before in the magazine bring up a CD ERROR message on replay. Is this curable?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Disc error message on CCRT CD player
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2015, 14:38:39 »

Real CD's or copies, if the first, has it had copies played in there in the past.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2015, 17:29:15 »

Real comercial CDs, not home burned copies. However it is a 15 year old car and I cannot speak for the previous owners use. I use home burned CDs in my Panasonic 10 CD magazine without problem, but I appreciate that Vauxhall CD players are fussy. I get occasional drop out on the Panasonic, but no more on home burned CDs than commercial discs.

Am I right in believing that commercial CDs are stamped from masters, making much bigger depressions than in original burned discs?

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2015, 17:38:56 »

Original recordings are layered differently... DaveDND has written a very informative piece in this very section :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2015, 18:29:51 »

The CDC2 is generally quite robust towards quality CDRs. Don't tell Dave DND I said that ;D.  Its the CDC3's that really don't like CDRs.

However, given the age, it'll be tired.  And the CDC2 used with the CCRT is different to the CDC2 used with all other Omega stereos.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2015, 19:02:44 »

I have read Dave's piece on CDs again. After a quick glance on Google I fancy I was right saying that commercial production of CDs is cheap as they can be stamped on presses, like shellac or vinyl discs. Recorded cylinders had to be cut individually, and recorded audio tapes had to be recorded individually too.

I appreciate my 15 year old kit has every right to give up the ghost,but amazingly it has not done so yet. My problem is not sound drop out or failure to read, which might well be laid at the door of weary laser or a dusty lens. My problem is on pressing  no. 3 button all I get is a message 'CD ERROR', even though I played CD no. 3 an hour ago. Sounds more like a CD changed error.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2015, 13:51:02 »

Moving the discs around within the cassette doesn't help, but simply removing and replacing the cassetts does.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2015, 16:38:34 »

Might be worth a careful dismantle to blow the cobwebs out ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2015, 20:54:55 »

Might be worth a careful dismantle to blow the cobwebs out ;)
Thanks Al, I guess you are right. I am curiously nervous about dismantling it in case I break it. Peering in the top it looks similar to the ejector magazine on my Intertype linecasting machine. On that the magazine is moved sideways to align the required ejector with the thruster. That can jam too, and needs stripping and cleaning every 5 years.
I had considered blowing it clean with an air line, but feared this might do more harm than good.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2015, 21:27:08 »

Cover should only be screwed on, then some careful cleaning with cotton buds perhaps  ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2015, 15:49:01 »

Removed CD changer unit from car and removed cover. made long hosed vacuum cleaner and gently sucked up dust in the magazine region. Reassembled, recoded, found it still worked - good news. However, fault remains. I will experiment further and report back.

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2015, 18:33:57 »

If you manually juggle the discs around, does the fault follow the disc? If yes, disc could be faulty, if no, mechanism is probably worn...

Dave DND will confirm, but any Blaupunkt disc changer should be a straight swap... Only question mark being whether the head unit can tolerate a 10/12 disc unit or if it MUST be a six disc one :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2015, 19:07:05 »

If you manually juggle the discs around, does the fault follow the disc? If yes, disc could be faulty, if no, mechanism is probably worn...

Dave DND will confirm, but any Blaupunkt disc changer should be a straight swap... Only question mark being whether the head unit can tolerate a 10/12 disc unit or if it MUST be a six disc one :-\
Nope, it needs to be the specific CDC2 for CCRT. Nought else works. Even other Omega CDC2...
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2015, 19:30:13 »

That's a pity, as I would imagine that's not a bad set up if you use a TomTom for navigation... Certainly was impressed with the CCRT I fitted to the Oxymoron :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2015, 10:27:59 »

The CDC2 is generally quite robust towards quality CDRs. Don't tell Dave DND I said that ;D.

I`ll pretend you didn`t say that  :P  But yes, the CDC3 burns out lasers much faster than the CDC2, but thats not to say that you should be using CDR`s in there though, as it still isn`t compatible.

Fault description is almost certainly a laser that has failed - getting hard to source those parts now, but there are still a few companies across Europe offering service on them. As far as replacement though, you have to be carefull as there are many versions of CDC2,and they are NOT cross compatible with each other. Some have codes and some are dedicated to particular head units.

Bottom line is this:
On the label on the side of your CDC2 will be a barcode and a 10 digit number, something like 7 123 456 789
If searching for a replacement - then this number MUST BE THE SAME in order for it to run. (Do not rely on any other Vx part numbers)

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.