Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Brake / Tail lights -recommendations?  (Read 4562 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
LED Brake / Tail lights -recommendations?
« on: 25 August 2015, 19:57:22 »

I'm after some; LEDs of course, jut the 'bulbs' not the lamp cluster. They need the resistor tiddlys to stop the MID complaining. Anyone have any experience? At present there's a squillion people offering the perfect solution. But struggling to find what's actually the best buy.

Found these, but no clue  :y

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-P21-5W-led-bulbs/?bulb_search=&end=front

Ta!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: LED Brake / Tail lights -recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2015, 20:15:40 »

Not tried to replace the brake light bulbs but i'm happy with the Philips Xtreme Vision Amber bulbs which i fitted to the rear and has much improved the visibility especially in daylight and night time probably see them from space  ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-Xtreme-Vision-LED-PY21W-Retrofit-Car-Bulbs-Amber-Twin-12764X2-/261950162180?hash=item3cfd724504

They come with resistors etc., Well mine did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5tEe0joY2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WywIgOf280I
« Last Edit: 25 August 2015, 20:21:52 by Mr.OmegaMan »

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2015, 22:11:52 »

Not tried to replace the brake light bulbs but i'm happy with the Philips Xtreme Vision Amber bulbs which i fitted to the rear and has much improved the visibility especially in daylight and night time probably see them from space  ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-Xtreme-Vision-LED-PY21W-Retrofit-Car-Bulbs-Amber-Twin-12764X2-/261950162180?hash=item3cfd724504

They come with resistors etc., Well mine did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5tEe0joY2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WywIgOf280I

Too bright can be bad too - if out of balance with other lights in the area drives may miss other things. The e-bay listing says those are not road legal either so only suitable for use on the private test track  :y
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2015, 01:44:31 »

i think the not road legal bit may relate only to the festoons: "Please be aware that this range of Philips X-treme Vision Festoon LED bulbs is designed for interior use. They can be used in an exterior application but it is not road legal to do"

generally leds are legal aren't they?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2015, 11:07:51 »

My knowledge of lighting regs really ends at fitting Xenons where a self-levelling system is not installed, and of course the uber-bright 'off road use only' halogen headlamps etc which will cause accidents by blinding oncoming traffic, in the same way the aforementioned non self-levelling lights do. And of course blue lights are illegal unless on an emergency vehicle or on private land.

Managed to find a spare bulb last night, so at least I've got both brake lights on (96 car = not fitted with LED centre brake light, it's on the retro-fit list.)

Worried it might be a 'trial and error' thing ie: but some bulbs, if they melt my rear clusters, then go for the next ones down - and replace rear cluster. Or, buy some, if they are Chinese pants (and sadly seems the philips stuff has also had some bad press about short lifespan) and they fail after a few months, then buy some more. It's going to get expensive given I've neber bought a lightbulb in my life! (that's what scrapyards are for  :y)

Really appreciate the feedback so far, please keep it coming!  :)

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2015, 12:55:22 »

O dear, fitting non- legal parts, o me o my. :) the hang em and flog em brigade, be on this soon, and also make sure you inform your insurance company, as its not standard   :D  ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2015, 13:04:37 »

So long as people don't fit headlights that actually dazzle oncoming drivers, then all's well.  :)

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2015, 08:39:28 »

i think the not road legal bit may relate only to the festoons: "Please be aware that this range of Philips X-treme Vision Festoon LED bulbs is designed for interior use. They can be used in an exterior application but it is not road legal to do"

generally leds are legal aren't they?

Those in the listing are not legal and so probably not suitable, the Phillips packaging pictured says 'off road use only'. You can get approved LED's - even the Omega has them on centre brake light.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2015, 08:44:26 »

So long as people don't fit headlights that actually dazzle oncoming drivers, then all's well.  :)

Problem is even in tail / indicator / brake lights if they are very bright or very 'point source' like some LED will reduce your ability to see other 'normal' lights in a traffic situation. Personally I think this same problem exists with LED traffic lights being installed - they don't dim enough at night and it can be really hard to see detail past the crossing at night. The problem will just get worse as I get older too and my eyes ability to cope with high contrast reduces  :D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2015, 09:17:45 »

Agreed. My perfect brake light specs would be

1. As bright, or a fraction brighter than standard bulbs.
2. LED, as I do feel the 'instant' illumination does have an effect on visibility and therefore safety. Sme with turn signals, I'd like to change these, as I do still notice a 'BANGon....BANGoff...BANGon' vs the more gradual fade up, fade down' Anyone noticed the 'nightrider' indicaters on new Audis yet? they stick out like a sore thumb on the road, which can only be a good thing.

An extreme increase in brightness I'm not after, because as said, the dazzling effect to others I'm not keen on.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2015, 18:38:21 »

Anyone noticed the 'nightrider' indicaters on new Audis yet? .....

Yes, on a Q5 ...... they 'grow' longer towards the side of the car. Yet I believe the sequential indicators on one of the 50s yanks Tanks aren't legal  :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2015, 19:25:18 »

Anyone noticed the 'nightrider' indicaters on new Audis yet? .....

Yes, on a Q5 ...... they 'grow' longer towards the side of the car. Yet I believe the sequential indicators on one of the 50s yanks Tanks aren't legal  :-\

Yes they look good IMHO.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2015, 09:21:30 »

Indeedy  :) Hence my desire to eventually replace all the lights with LEDs (where there's a point in doing so, of course, I'm not massively fussed about the rear map leading lights and puddle lights etc)

Saw a Kia Picanto yesterday with LED brake lights, and that decided it for me! As time marches on, just like fitting your 1960s classic with Halogens, it seems a logical progression.

So does anyone have any experiences or recommendations? At present there's the ones kindly offered by Mr OmegaMan and I've found these, which seem decent, and negate any canbus issues, also don't appear horrifically bright and illegal for road use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-WHITE-STOP-TAIL-BRAKE-LED-CANBUS-BULB-ERROR-FREE-BA15d-380-p21-1155-30-SMD-/291468856872?hash=item43dce5ce28

mka306

« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2015, 09:50:06 »

I bought a set for my omega and to be honest it just aint enough of a difference to warrant the change, wish I didn't bother now.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2015, 11:34:02 »

Ah, interesting, what ones did you buy, please?

I'm not looking at LEDs for extra brightness, simply that instant 'bang-on bang-off' that you get with LEDs, which of course the driver never benefits from, only other road users.  :)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.