Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Injector Timings  (Read 1996 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Strange Injector Timings
« on: 22 February 2017, 11:32:25 »

Finally plugged the laptop in to see what is wrong with the LPG and why it doesn't run right and straight away it became clear that there is an oddity on the petrol injection times... One cylinder is 10 times longer than the others  :o

Before I start investigating it, any ideas?

Runs fine on petrol despite this BTW
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Injector Timings
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2017, 13:09:56 »

It can only be a problem with that signal to the LPG ECU, or the LPG ECU itself having a brainfart.

The injector times are adjusted per-bank, so it's not possible for the petrol ECU to be commanding one injector to open for that much longer than the others.

EDIT: and if it did, it'd be running on 5 with a strong smell of petrol. 3-4 ms is typical at idle.

Does it still show a silly time when running on petrol?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2017, 13:23:29 »

My thoughts exactly and yes

Passed the MOT though :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2017, 12:50:25 »

Just to revisit this a bit... Seems to be a wiring issue with water ingress but I haven't been able to investigate yet. Cures itself after a few dry days and some running but started again this morning after rain overnight.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2017, 18:17:18 »

Finally looked at this today as the LPG has stopped completely. The timing is now zero on the one injector.

Checked all the wiring and connections, all dry (although I didn't meter it out) and I'm suspicious of the LPG ECU itself, as per the trouble shooting of the LPG.

Has anyone got a spare Stag 300 Plus ISA2 ECU I could borrow to prove/disprove my suspicions? I used to have a spare one but I think it was in TuBy's garage when he had his last BBQ (along with most of the LPG spares)  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2017, 21:39:16 »

I used to have a spare one but I think it was in TuBy's garage when he had his last BBQ (along with most of the LPG spares)  :-\
There were no LPG ECUs in there, just all the spare pipework, clips, gauges etc.  So if you had a spare, hopefully its still floating around somewhere :y
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2017, 22:49:40 »

I used to have a spare one but I think it was in TuBy's garage when he had his last BBQ (along with most of the LPG spares)  :-\
There were no LPG ECUs in there, just all the spare pipework, clips, gauges etc.  So if you had a spare, hopefully its still floating around somewhere :y
Bugger... That might mean that I returned it :-\ ::)

Strangely enough, it behaved perfectly this evening on a quick trip to Tesco :-\ Perhaps it was water related and splitting all the joints and water repellant has done its job :-\ ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2017, 10:00:27 »

If it runs on petrol, it does kind of vindicate all the wiring, as the signals have to be looped through the LPG ecu to the petrol injectors. Having said that, some water ingress might affect the LPG ECU triggering from the signals whilst not affecting the petrol injectors. Is it possible there's been some water ingress to the ECU?

Might be worth a check, as, if you catch it early a repair might be straightforward.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2017, 10:01:18 »

I also have a box of LPG bits. Very much doubt there's an ECU in there, but I can't remember what is in there, TBH, so I'll check. ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2017, 23:10:32 »

I was thinking the same Kevin, the petrol injector signals loop through the ECU and it runs fine on petrol.

Bizarrely it bleeped "error" on start up today and kept doing so on every attempt to switch to LPG for the first 110 miles or so. Then I stopped, when I restarted there was no error beep so tried switching to LPG and it was fine for the rest of the day - some 200 miles, including switching off for a few hours and again whilst refilling with gas!

I'm suspicious of the ECU... Vaguely remember a similar fault (possibly on someone else's system) that a new ECU cured but I don't really want to shell out £130 or so without proving it faulty first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.