Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Q for those in the building trade/electricians  (Read 2970 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Q for those in the building trade/electricians
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2013, 16:48:23 »

I dont know why developers arent offering more of it, it makes a lot of sense these days :-\

Quite simple 99.9% of people will use wifi.

Do you feel 'special'  ;D

;D

No but I am important, I mean...don't you know who I am?  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2013, 23:14:00 »

I'd say it's a lot more useful to have CAT 5 cabling than phone extensions everywhere, wi-fi or not. You can always route the phone to a CAT 5 socket if you do happen to need a wired phone elsewhere in the house.

But.. developers are only interested in finding the cheapest way to erect a box that meets the building regs. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #17 on: 18 October 2013, 23:55:48 »

although it does rather depend what you're doing with it,  most domestic uses of CatV can be reliably achieved using the Ethernet over mains adaptors,  frankly,  a lot less hassle in most cases..... 

if you start doing HD video editing and file serving,  maybe you'll need CatV(orVI)I all round,  but below that , for internet, and general media serving ethernet over mains is fine,   (assuming you get decent units,  not the £2 chinese fire hazards )

total time to install, about 10 minutes,  set up time,  less than that.....   

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #18 on: 18 October 2013, 23:56:48 »

and i believe you can even now buy actual mains power wall socket plates with the facility built in......     
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 October 2013, 09:23:59 »

and i believe you can even now buy actual mains power wall socket plates with the facility built in......   

It's not just as simple as setting up a network.  I will be running several VLANs as well (VOIP, media, visitor, etc) so each point needs 2-3 sockets, hence the 4 I want to install in each location :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 October 2013, 10:43:39 »

Humm I started reading this very hopeful, as I'm in a similar situation. I was hoping a Cat5 cable could just be dropped down nice and easy  ::)

Can safely say I will be banned from lifting up floor boards to run cables, also to be honest, don't think I'd want to do it on a practically brand spankers build house  :-[

Think I'm going to have to go wireless, with either an AP bolted to first floor celling, or go for one of those power plug networking things  :(

If you need hand Matt, should be about hopefully.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 October 2013, 10:47:39 »

Think I'll be looking at something like this for internal internet, assuming you can hook one of these up to a switch :-\

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1382175916&sr=1-1&keywords=power+plug+network

Lot's of positive reviews!
« Last Edit: 19 October 2013, 10:50:25 by tunnie »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 October 2013, 11:35:54 »

I might well do that :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 October 2013, 11:49:14 »

Dot & Dab is where dots of plaster are dabbed on to a blockwork wall before the sheets of plasterboard are stuck on. You may find this on the outside walls if the builder didn't want to use a traditional 2 layers of plaster.

Stud partitions might use either wooden or metal studs. Metal is the norm in commercial projects but not sure about housing :-\

The partition construction starts with a length of stud nailed to the floor (the floor plate) and another nailed to the ceiling. Vertical studs are then nailed (or screwed if metal) into place at 400mm centres. Noggins are inserted horizontally to go behind the joints between plasterboard sheets and to provide fixings for radiators, towel rails, wall cupboards etc. Plasterboard usually comes as  8'x4' (2440mm x 1220mm) sheets so expect to find a row of noggins 4 foot off the floor.

I would expect all UK houses to have the partitions packed with sound insulation.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #24 on: 19 October 2013, 12:24:26 »

Humm I started reading this very hopeful, as I'm in a similar situation. I was hoping a Cat5 cable could just be dropped down nice and easy  ::)

Can safely say I will be banned from lifting up floor boards to run cables, also to be honest, don't think I'd want to do it on a practically brand spankers build house  :-[

Think I'm going to have to go wireless, with either an AP bolted to first floor celling, or go for one of those power plug networking things  :(

You will almost certainly find that they aren't individual planks - as in old houses which come up easily, but large interlocking sheets of chipboard which then have the stud walls built upon them  :'(. The only way to gain access is to use a circular saw (set to just over the chipboard thickness and slice your way through. Makes a real mess and you then have to support the edges for the section you have removed. A massive pain in the backside ..........

Good luck

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 October 2013, 13:01:20 »

If your going to start lifting floor boards upstairs, it might be easier to to do the ground floor that way as well, depending on the build, sometimes easier to drop the cables down from above and then chase into the walls plasterboard than having to go all round the houses on the ground floor.

Also there are some clever trunking around these days for house cabling, ie, mini house dado trunking to replace skirting boards and cable coving for the ceiling areas.

Cat5e or 6 shouldn't be pulled tight, stretched, kinked or bent tight around corners, so plan and prepare all the routes before installation, for the sake of a few more pennies go the LSF cable (the purple stuff, low smoke, zero halogen) and make sure the termination is correct, keeping the twists together right down to punch down connections.

Chris. ;)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2013, 13:31:31 »

If your going to start lifting floor boards upstairs, it might be easier to to do the ground floor that way as well, depending on the build, sometimes easier to drop the cables down from above and then chase into the walls plasterboard than having to go all round the houses on the ground floor.

Also there are some clever trunking around these days for house cabling, ie, mini house dado trunking to replace skirting boards and cable coving for the ceiling areas.

Cat5e or 6 shouldn't be pulled tight, stretched, kinked or bent tight around corners, so plan and prepare all the routes before installation, for the sake of a few more pennies go the LSF cable (the purple stuff, low smoke, zero halogen) and make sure the termination is correct, keeping the twists together right down to punch down connections.

Chris. ;)
Chances are on a new house they will use wayrock interlocking flooring , it comes in approx. 8'x2' sized sheets and is an absolute sod to get up , especially if they do it properly and glue the joints   

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 October 2013, 14:56:58 »

If you need to gain access in several places it might be worth using a router to cut circular access holes

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/RBT_1/4/182/routabout_jig_18mm_x_14%22_shank_.html

The router cuts a stepped edge. You then drop a plastic ring into the hole and the piece you cut out sits in the ring.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 October 2013, 15:32:44 »

Depending on your ceiling finish, it is sometimes easier to access 2nd storey underfloor areas via the ceiling beneath. Fairly simple to cut out a small section of plaster board, then replace and fill. this is even easier if you are going to fit coving later to cover the wall/ceiling join. I've used this ploy a few times in the past. :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 October 2013, 17:46:29 »

Where you are local to me, I'm happy to give you a hand. I done quite a lot of cat 5 cable installation so have got a cable pull set, cable, stud locator, crimping tools, cable testers etc. Where the last job I did was a multi-point system in a hotel I've also got a couple boxes 305m (1000ft) of the purple 100mHz cat 5e cable, which I'm happy to bring one round for you to use as they are just sitting in my junk room spare bedroom.

I also have experience of cutting and lifting flooring sheets and other challenging ways I've had to run cables, through ceiling coving etc. I would think being a modern build it will have timber or metal stud work that will be full of insulation material. The best way with this is normally to drill through the top plate, locate the noggin, by tapping the wall, using a stud detector or seeing how far your cable puller will go in before it hits it, then drill shallow angled holes either side and through the noggin, then feed the cable pull through to where the hole is for the plasterboard box and surface socket, then it is just a case of connecting the cable to the cable pull and pulling through. This method minimises the work required to reinstate the wall.

As somebody stated earlier no kinking of cables, all bends must be a minimum of 25mm and the absolute minimum of undoing the twisted pair as they rely on any external electrical interference being equal on both cables and therefore cancelling each other out.

When cutting flooring sheets for access, set the circular saw to the depth of the flooring sheet, make sure the circular saw does not kickback as you start the cut (as it will try to) although the slow start saws are better for this. a flooring hand saw for use by the walls and when putting the flooring sheet back screw a 2" by 1" batten underneath that goes across the joint to stop the flooring sheets flexing.

I would suggest that you use either an estate agents flooring plan or other plan to mark exactly where the cable runs are in each room, that way when you have forgotten in the future (we all do), you have it for reference for when you go to hang that new picture! You can then also pass it on to the new occupants if or when you sell the house.

Any additional networking materials you can alway get locally by opening a trade account at CMS, Hawley Lane, Farnborough. Not the cheapest, but very useful when you need bits straightway.

Where you want 4 sockets per room, where there are 4 twisted pairs in the cable, you can do 2 sockets with each cable. I've also found these useful at times to make maximum use of a cable:

http://www.cmsplc.com/structured-wiring/base-tsplitters.html
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.