Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 1692 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Ukraine
« on: 14 April 2014, 13:38:49 »

Some of these protesters and 'Pro-Russian Activists' as they're being called look remarkably well equipped for a rag tag militia.  ::)

Part 2 of Putin's plan for world domination I think.  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2014, 14:15:22 »

Putin has been taking the piss out of the western leaders for years.
Said before, the cold war never finished. It just warmed up for a while.
If it is true that a agreement was made back in 1990 during the unification of east and west Germany that there would be no further encroachment east by Europe / NATO then he has every right to be pissed off.
You can bet your life savings on a series of Russian friendly independent states being formed in between the western side of Ukraine and the Russian border over the next few years by hook or crook with the hand of the FSB at the helm.
Putin will get his buffer and I don't think the west will lift a hand to help the Kiev government out.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2014, 14:32:32 »

Putin has been taking the piss out of the western leaders for years.
Said before, the cold war never finished. It just warmed up for a while.
If it is true that a agreement was made back in 1990 during the unification of east and west Germany that there would be no further encroachment east by Europe / NATO then he has every right to be pissed off.
You can bet your life savings on a series of Russian friendly independent states being formed in between the western side of Ukraine and the Russian border over the next few years by hook or crook with the hand of the FSB at the helm.
Putin will get his buffer and I don't think the west will lift a hand to help the Kiev government out.
Sounds about right.  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2014, 18:30:16 »

If you want to make a lot of money then gas storage is the business to be in. Particularly in Western Europe.

The only think currently in favour of the West "new EU" countries is that they have just come out of winter.

I think you are right that Nato won't open fire to help Kiev. There will be plenty of finger lifting and words.

All very sad. Yet another reason for Britain to leave the EU and to bolster its Trident capability.  Three years ago I would never have said that about Trident. 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2014, 20:12:12 »

Yes, my understanding is that he is trying to make a very weak divided Ukraine to keep the country neutered and under Russia's thumb. This does not just apply to Ukraine, but also looks like it is becoming a strategy for other satellite countries.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

There is very little support in Ukraine for autonomous regions or the division of the country, with polls showing between 1 and 2% support for this. Even in the Donetsk, the most Russian looking Oblast there is only about 20% support for more local governance. >:( >:( >:( >:(

The terrorists that are attacking police stations are led and equipped by Russian special forces along with 5th column locals who have been recruited and trained by Russia since 2010 Yanukovych's election and with his agreement. Russia is trying to federalise the east to make it weak and divided and under their control with puppet regional governments. They are being supported to a degree, or through out and out self interest by local, east based, oligarchies that earn most of their money exporting to Russia.

The threat of a Russian invasion is just that and would be a last resort. 60%+ in all of the Eastern regions are ethnic Ukrainians and the majority of Ethnic Russians consider Ukraine their country and are against any divisions. Yes, they would win the war, but their would be pretty universal hostility to an army of occupation and they would over time lose the peace, like they did in Afghanistan.

The fact that the interim government is looking at a nationwide referendum on the future of Ukraine, would hopefully reduce all of this Russian nonsense, like it has with Gibraltar (Spain) and the Falkland Islands (mad woman Argentinian president), but being able to carry out that or the elections on the 25th May are looking more and more difficult. Again it is in Russia's interest to disrupt these as a newly elected government then has full legitimacy. This is why the interim government does not want to declare a state of emergency as it would mean postponing the elections.

Interesting that previous polls on Crimea joining Russia before their invasion, including one by Gallup were 37% and 40% and the real figure before any Putin adjustment, from a Russian source was 37%, not 95%!

The Russian controlled terrorists are trying to make the federalization of Ukraine into Autonomous regions, look like the only solution to western governments. William Hague and US politicians, especially the US UN ambassador who doesn't pull any punches, are I think and hope wise to this. But words are very different to physical actions on the ground and the US with its liberal controlled government is very weak with its responses. I think Reagan and Margaret Thatcher would have reacted much more robustly which is what you need to do with dictators, who given an inch will take a 1000 miles!

In pro-Russian demonstrations the protesters have been small in numbers of less than 1000. There was a very big pro-Ukraine rally in Kharkiv over the weekend.

If you want to know what is going on then this website is used by many newspapers to keep up to date:

http://www.interpretermag.com/

A good analysis blog by a world renowned British expert on Russia and Eastern Europe, who was called in for a presentation and briefing of MPs on the Ukraine situation a few weeks ago is here:

http://inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/?s=the+shadow+of+Moscow

Like all situations, I like to get information from as many sources as possible, so I can be as objective as possible with opinions, this is always more difficult when geopolitics are at the fore. Of course I have a pro-Ukrainian bias and proud of it.  :y :y :y :y

Looking at the bigger picture Russia is now a big threat to world peace and needs to be contained. Dictators have a nasty habit of over playing their hands and starting major conflicts, which they then lose, but with much suffering, death and destruction in between. >:( >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2014, 21:06:54 »

Yes, my understanding is that he is trying to make a very weak divided Ukraine to keep the country neutered and under Russia's thumb. This does not just apply to Ukraine, but also looks like it is becoming a strategy for other satellite countries.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

There is very little support in Ukraine for autonomous regions or the division of the country, with polls showing between 1 and 2% support for this. Even in the Donetsk, the most Russian looking Oblast there is only about 20% support for more local governance. >:( >:( >:( >:(

The terrorists that are attacking police stations are led and equipped by Russian special forces along with 5th column locals who have been recruited and trained by Russia since 2010 Yanukovych's election and with his agreement. Russia is trying to federalise the east to make it weak and divided and under their control with puppet regional governments. They are being supported to a degree, or through out and out self interest by local, east based, oligarchies that earn most of their money exporting to Russia.

The threat of a Russian invasion is just that and would be a last resort. 60%+ in all of the Eastern regions are ethnic Ukrainians and the majority of Ethnic Russians consider Ukraine their country and are against any divisions. Yes, they would win the war, but their would be pretty universal hostility to an army of occupation and they would over time lose the peace, like they did in Afghanistan.

The fact that the interim government is looking at a nationwide referendum on the future of Ukraine, would hopefully reduce all of this Russian nonsense, like it has with Gibraltar (Spain) and the Falkland Islands (mad woman Argentinian president), but being able to carry out that or the elections on the 25th May are looking more and more difficult. Again it is in Russia's interest to disrupt these as a newly elected government then has full legitimacy. This is why the interim government does not want to declare a state of emergency as it would mean postponing the elections.

Interesting that previous polls on Crimea joining Russia before their invasion, including one by Gallup were 37% and 40% and the real figure before any Putin adjustment, from a Russian source was 37%, not 95%!

The Russian controlled terrorists are trying to make the federalization of Ukraine into Autonomous regions, look like the only solution to western governments. William Hague and US politicians, especially the US UN ambassador who doesn't pull any punches, are I think and hope wise to this. But words are very different to physical actions on the ground and the US with its liberal controlled government is very weak with its responses. I think Reagan and Margaret Thatcher would have reacted much more robustly which is what you need to do with dictators, who given an inch will take a 1000 miles!

In pro-Russian demonstrations the protesters have been small in numbers of less than 1000. There was a very big pro-Ukraine rally in Kharkiv over the weekend.

If you want to know what is going on then this website is used by many newspapers to keep up to date:

http://www.interpretermag.com/

A good analysis blog by a world renowned British expert on Russia and Eastern Europe, who was called in for a presentation and briefing of MPs on the Ukraine situation a few weeks ago is here:

http://inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/?s=the+shadow+of+Moscow

Like all situations, I like to get information from as many sources as possible, so I can be as objective as possible with opinions, this is always more difficult when geopolitics are at the fore. Of course I have a pro-Ukrainian bias and proud of it.  :y :y :y :y

Looking at the bigger picture Russia is now a big threat to world peace and needs to be contained. Dictators have a nasty habit of over playing their hands and starting major conflicts, which they then lose, but with much suffering, death and destruction in between. >:( >:( >:( >:(
[/highlight]

Yup, I bet there are a few arses twitching in Estonia, Latvia, Belarus and Lithuania at the moment  :(

But don't worry about it lads, we have about 17 combat ships left in the royal navy, about 50 front line combat aircraft left if we can get them serviceable  :-X  >:(  and most of the army have PVR'd or being made redundant but don't worry, we should still be safe from the mighty ivan  >:( >:(
All we need now is for the jocks to kick us out of faslane next year and we may as well flog the trident systems on ebay because we won't have anywhere to put them  :(

Then again, we could always stash them is a hanger somewhere until we need them as seems to be normal practice nowdays  ::)
Sorry, forgot all the spare sheds have been taken up by all the surplus equipment from the Germany, Iraq, Libya,
Afghanistan days so they ain't any room  >:( >:(

« Last Edit: 14 April 2014, 21:09:51 by tigers_gonads »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2014, 22:23:56 »

Not to mention that we only have 200 tanks, which is less than Switzerland.  :( :( :( :(

But our armed forces are world leaders in the sex discrimination and 'elf n safety payout system and troop safety, where senior officer will get prosecuted in the future if they lead them somewhere dangerous, for which they are not 100% equipped to deal with. :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2014, 22:32:56 »

I thought a US Senator summed it up well on Obama's initial response to the Crimea crisis. Putin's playing chess, we are playing marbles.

I think the Democrats will get their asses well and truly kicked in November's mid-term elections. Carter found that out over Iran the average US voter does not like after all of the US tax dollars they have contributed to the defense budget to see the country humiliated by a chancer running a lessor foreign country.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2014, 22:43:29 »

Just watched the BBC news where they did quite a long piece on the situation in Eastern Ukraine.  They portrayed it as a popular uprising, until the end when as a footnote they said that the protests were orchestrated by a small number of people!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2014, 19:32:38 »

This article I thought summed up better in a few sentences "what Putin has achieved so far?" than any other article I have seen.

"Putin could have “won” this crisis by never starting it."

"Putin had gotten just about everything he wanted from Ukraine, including a leader in Kyiv who practically had “Property of the Kremlin” stamped on his forehead."

"Putin’s attempt to force the Russia-or-Europe choice down Yanukovich’s throat was irrational overreach by the Russian President that provoked the Euromaidan movement – exactly the reaction Putin didn’t want."

"Enraged by Yanukovich’s ouster, and he reacted with visceral anger, setting in motion events whose end are nowhere in sight even for Putin himself. The Russian invasion of Crimea is now endangering things Putin values – like Russian economic stability purely so he claim something – a base and a military presence in Crimea – he already had."

http://thefederalist.com/2014/04/14/vladimir-putin-is-not-the-president-of-sim-city/

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2014, 23:31:20 »

Brilliant inspired... is Putin related to George W perchance ::)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2014, 23:35:37 by Taxi Al »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2014, 18:02:38 »

Brilliant inspired... is Putin related to George W perchance ::)

Obama is a cross between Carter and a dove. If he was French he would be saying we will put up a robust defence, by the way Washington DC is an open city.  ::) ::) ::)

Still I think he will pay the price in the mid-term elections and who the next president will be, as the Americans don't spend all their hard earned tax dollars on defense to suffer global humiliation. Even when the Russian air force does the equivalent of a two fingered salute, by making low passes over a USN ship, they just let it past rather than summoning the Russian ambassador.  :(

All this matters as the world has now changed from the previous western assumption that Russia would play by the rules of International Law / UN consensus to if we are strong enough and the west is weak enough we will grab all we can. This has overtures of the 1930's German land grab and appeasement and we all know what happened after that. :( :( :( :(

Putin is already causing problems in Estonia, where the Baltics will be the next flashpoint. Then real decisions will have to be made. If the west then backs down NATO is finished and we will be another big step forward towards WWIII.  :( :( :( :(

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2014, 12:57:44 »

Mystic Sarah calls it right 6 years ago  ;)

You might not like her but she certainly doesn't kiss anybody's arse   ;D

We could do with her teaming up with our Nige in Europe.
What a team  ;D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/sarah-palin-predicted-in-2008-that-putin-would-invade-ukraine-if-obama-was-elected-9167833.html

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2014, 13:57:37 »

Anybody else hear Obama say " we can beat you in a conventional war"!! Not quite what I wanted to hear him say.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2014, 22:35:57 »

Anybody else hear Obama say " we can beat you in a conventional war"!! Not quite what I wanted to hear him say.

No country comes close to the US in terms of quantity and quality of conventional weapons, equipment, logistics and battlefield data sharing and comms. We have seen Russian aircraft up against F15's and F16's in the Bekaa Valley in Syria. It was called a turkey shoot with good reason 82 Syrian MIGs shot down and 19 SAM batteries destroyed for no loss. The tactics and success here in 1982 paved the way for the Gulf war success in 1991.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.