Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh Bugger - The END?  (Read 35765 times)

richaber

• Aberystwyth
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Bugger - The END?
« Reply #315 on: 15 October 2006, 19:08:29 »

What a fabulous epic. I read it for the first time tonight and I'm exhausted. I need to do a cambelt change on my lowly tourer and will gladly drive anywhere in the country if someone is willing to help me with it for the first time? (Crates of Stella etc. will be in the boot) Or if you fancy a weekend by the seaside...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 15 October 2006, 19:08:35 »

All smiles does not begin to describe it !!

The car is running as sweet as a nut!  

Will pop up some pictures when I get a chance.  But what can't wait is saying a massive thanks to Mark DTM, Matchless, TheBoy, Issunaz and Robin Hood.

Mark and Pete worked magic on the car, first turn of the key and the engine fired up.  No EML and once the oil got round the engine is really quiet.

[size=20]THANKS GUYS!  [/size]
UncleF, can you start new thread about you prob, it will get kinda lost in this thread ;)  (sounds like a hose may have split - common after oil cooler prob, as the oil softens the rubber)
Glad to hear all went well and you won't have to keep walking past your car on the way to work! Mine not so good it seems....Checked header tank after flushing one week ago, lots more mayo! Flushed it again to see if its just more left over residue but noticied water dripping from the exhaust pipe1? (Not good er?) No water in oil so wondered if it where I've been flushing, but don't sound too good. Can't believe the oil cooler gone this quick (8months)  ::)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 15 October 2006, 19:10:09 »

What a fabulous epic. I read it for the first time tonight and I'm exhausted. I need to do a cambelt change on my lowly tourer and will gladly drive anywhere in the country if someone is willing to help me with it for the first time? (Crates of Stella etc. will be in the boot) Or if you fancy a weekend by the seaside...
i'm not a million miles away - 15/20m other side of Oxford.

Or get DVD, and have a crack yourself ;)

Best off starting new thread though....
Grumpy old man

johnny.dee

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: 15 October 2006, 19:29:25 »

there is something very very satisfying to stripping an engine with a fault, repairing and rebuilding the engine. Especially if you have never done these things before or on a complicated engine. mere mortals against machines or something like that. Although aprehensive to begin, but with the right guidance or book and gaining confidence ready to tacle other problems as they arrive. Must make me the oldest apprentice in the world.

Well done to all and a special good luck to allenm who is a very happy bunny.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: 15 October 2006, 19:32:41 »

Comments were made with regard to Allenm's driving around Milton Keynes afterwards. I say he was just enjoying his v6 again.... :)
Grumpy old man

richaber

• Aberystwyth
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 15 October 2006, 19:34:29 »

The DVD would be a good start. Who do I PM?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: 15 October 2006, 19:35:37 »

The DVD would be a good start. Who do I PM?
Robin Hood, but doubt he's edited yet....
Grumpy old man

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: 15 October 2006, 19:58:40 »

It did sound smooth, well done all  :y
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Robin Hood

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: 16 October 2006, 09:09:51 »

A V6 cambelt DVD is available now but the editing of the heads is a couple of weeks off.  I am away next week (school holidays) and have a small mountain to clear this week.  If however, someone is desperate, PM me and I will see what I can do.  In the meantime I’ll try and get some footage posted of Allenm’s engine firing up again.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 16 October 2006, 09:19:02 »

A good job done I think and thanks to AllenM for the hospitality (makes a good Chilli!)

It sounded pretty sweet whe fired up and went nice and quiet once the oil got to all the followers.

Yet again though, we were working on a V6 with 130K miles on it and the bores didn't have a mark on them and the cams were very good so its yet another good reason to get the oil changed regularly. The unit was showing signs of dealer servicing though (failed cam cover gaskets, lack of coolant changes etc)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: 18 November 2007, 10:09:32 »

I also had a cambelt jump/slip four teeth on my V6 Omega last April. Sympton was car would start but rattled awfully. I stopped engine at once.

I stripped it down and found the cams were 4 teeth ahead of the crank. I took advice from Dr. Omega on the yahoo site and proceeded more or less as you plan, but allow me to elaborate anyhow.

With engine at TDC on no. 1 by bottom pulley mark, I removed the old cam belt. I rotated the crankshaft 60 degrees anticlockwise to locate all pistons out of harms way. I then rotated all camshafts a couple of turns each, using a socket on the sprocket nuts, checking that I felt resistance at all times  - I did. This told me that no valves were bent - good news.

I next set all cam sprockets with the alignment marks aligned with the notches in the rear cover. Then I rotated the crankshaft 60 degrees clockwise back to TDC.

I then put on the new pulleys and belt as described in Haynes and Total Vauxhall October 2005, using the special tools. I am sure that the site DVD tells you how to do this, mine has just arived but I have not run it yet. I tensioned the belt as instructed, with the aligment marks in line. I removed the special tools and rotated the engine two turns. I checked that the bottom pulley and cam sprockets all still lined up. They did.

I reassembled ancillaries and paused for a cup of coffee. I then connected the battery and started the engine. It ran sweet as a nut.

I had made one mistake. After a week or so the EMS light came on, and the fault was eventually traced to the knock sensor lead having been located on the wrong side of the auxilary belt tensioner and having been worn through by the aux belt. Took it apart again, resoldered the knock sensor lead, reassembled, and all was well.

It has run well ever since.

Good luck,

Terry

Just to dig up a (very) old thread - I've just found another V6, that's jumped 4 teeth, and survived...  ::)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 18 November 2007, 11:10:57 »

Theres a bit of luck for you!  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 18 November 2007, 11:23:05 »

James, I do hope your dreams come true......how were your lottery numbers last night.

You will also note that this thread covers a certain car which was 2 and 3 teeth out.....you might be VERY lucky, but the odds realy are stacked agaist you.

Ow yes, note also the in-correct way of removing the belt under such circumstances described above...it should be at 60 deg before TDC before the belt is removed.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 18 November 2007, 11:27:18 »

James, I do hope your dreams come true......how were your lottery numbers last night.

You will also note that this thread covers a certain car which was 2 and 3 teeth out.....you might be VERY lucky, but the odds realy are stacked agaist you.

Ow yes, note also the in-correct way of removing the belt under such circumstances described above...it should be at 60 deg before TDC before the belt is removed.

I don't play the lottery - I'm not a gambling man  ::)

I used the 60deg btdc position...

Mervs car had no compression on the 246 bank, mine has got compression in the green, on all cylinders, however two are definately lower than the others on the 1-5-6 bank.

I DO agree that it's going to have done damage on that bank. But I also think it will run given those compressions - maybe just to get me through to the summer, so I can rebuild heads and fit 3.0 cams?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.