Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1999 Elite slow restoration  (Read 4910 times)

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
1999 Elite slow restoration
« on: 08 October 2016, 21:01:19 »

I have owned this car on and off since January 2000 having got it with 6,513 miles on it. It now has 163k on it and it has been in use with my parents for the last 4 years. A time that hasn't served it well. I got it back in February minus the Steinmetz front bumper after my Mum nearly ripped it off when she parked the front over a kerb. It has also picked up a bunch of scratches and a small number of car park dents.

I had already decided that I wanted to get the car tidied up again to back to how I want it but having read various horror stories on here about people removing the sill covers and finding huge holes in the panels underneath, I decided to have a look before committing to any work and make a judgement call.

Well, I am pleased to report that having removed the panels both side, there is very little rust. The worst is about the size of a 2p coin around one of the rivets for the weather strip. The dog legs of the back door shuts are starting to go and having removed the front wheel arch liners, there are a few bits of surface rust plus a bubble on each inner wing that are both solid after I scraped them

Progress will be slow due to funds but hopefully it will be sparkling and rust free in the no too distant future.

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 Elite slow restoration
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2016, 23:13:40 »

James the car still looks in very very good condition. I like it  :y :y

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2016, 23:25:01 »

Looking that good, I'd say Thunderbirds are go!  Worth tidying up :y
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2016, 09:09:03 »

Definitely worth saving

jimbo125

• Intermediate Member
  • Camberley
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2016, 00:00:59 »

Has to be saved for the future, its your duty ;D
2.5V6 Had it since 2002, what a beast, worth the time and effort to keep it road worthy. Vauxhall bring them back!!! Laser timing kit for OOF member hire

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2016, 09:42:51 »

Known this car for many years, as you know, James, always enjoyed seeing it at the shows. As above - nothing wrong with that, this restoration thread is set to be the shortest in OOF history!

But it's at a stage where very minor remedial work will make it Minty-McMintface, and therefore now's definitely the time to do it, rather than when the tinworm has eaten in deeper. Also the colour makes it look worse than it is/highlights the areas which need (light) attention.

Look forward to seeing the progress  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2016, 09:52:18 »

Cheers guys  ;)

I am in the fortunate position that I had the unintentional foresight to purchase a house on a corner plot 18 years ago and I had a 440 square foot double garage with a pit to do this sort of stuff.

I hope to get over to a local restoration place to have a chat with them as I plan to strip every paintable piece off and get a whole new suit applied.

The notion is growing several heads as I may remove the engine and box while it goes in and the take front and rear subframes when I get it back to replace bushes and paint bits.

May be an opportune time to replace the torque converter as it's a little slushy now - it doesn't creep in drive on a flat surface any more.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2016, 11:45:26 »

Looks in really good nick for its mileage and vintage, definitely a keeper. :y :y :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2016, 17:37:40 »

Known this car for many years, as you know, James, always enjoyed seeing it at the shows. As above - nothing wrong with that, this restoration thread is set to be the shortest in OOF history!

But it's at a stage where very minor remedial work will make it Minty-McMintface, and therefore now's definitely the time to do it, rather than when the tinworm has eaten in deeper. Also the colour makes it look worse than it is/highlights the areas which need (light) attention.

Look forward to seeing the progress  :)

LMAO  ;D ;D ;D

Pmsl  ;D ;D ;D ;D
What the friggin hell have you been drinking J

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2016, 13:29:33 »

That sweeet nectar called 'Boredom at Work'  :D :D  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2016, 17:20:28 »

Good set of pics beginning of this thread. I've been going through my CDX in a similar manner trying to keep the rot under control, but one thing I didn't do was pull the rubber strip off the top of the sill.

I notice on yours there is a bit of grot around the rivetty things.........  was this apparent before you removed the strip?   :o
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2016, 21:21:35 »

Good set of pics beginning of this thread. I've been going through my CDX in a similar manner trying to keep the rot under control, but one thing I didn't do was pull the rubber strip off the top of the sill.

I notice on yours there is a bit of grot around the rivetty things.........  was this apparent before you removed the strip?   :o

Thanks for the comments. With regards to the weatherstrip, no, there was no sign of the rust before I removed it. Glad I did. All clear on the driver's side though.

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2016, 11:11:04 »

Hi!

Your car looks good, and you've have started dealing with the corrosion at the right time. If it was left unattended for another winter or two, the situation most definitely would be much worse.

One thought - door weatherstrip - IMO, it's best to permanently remove it. It always holds moisture. And there is no much diference without it.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2016, 16:22:05 »

My car was like the pictures,possibly a little worse.. and ive only rubbed it down with a wire brush and treated with fertan rust killer and primed and painted it all. i'll have to see just how bad it is when I check it next.

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2016, 16:03:51 »

Hi James

It looks similar to my 1998 Omega CD. I did the bodywork last winter. It was hard work, but my Ommi is part of the family, living in the garage.  :y

Here is my story:

http://www.opel-voting.de/omega-senator-signum/53592-omegarage.html

Sorry, it is in German, but rusty pictures seems the same all over the world

Rolf
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.