Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Next doors phones & tablets  (Read 6012 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Next doors phones & tablets
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2018, 16:58:40 »

WPS should only be enabled when you actually use it (either via web interface or the press button), and should disable itself when a client connects, or a short timeout.

At no point should you see other devices in Windows File Explorer, as it means they are able to broadcast/beacon on a network your Windows machine is also connected to.

So, what causes it, seems quite common if you read the forums?
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2018, 17:03:22 »

A fundamental security flaw somewhere.

Is it on all Windows devices or 1 specifically. That will help you decide where the security flaw is.

And you know the solution...   ...wifi is fundamentally insecure.  And most routers and consumer devices, at best, only support WPA2. And virtually every WPA2 implementation is flawed as well.  Disabling wifi is a viable option.  In the meantime, never run with Administrative accounts (on any OS), and don't reduce the UAC settings in Windows (quite the opposite in fact).
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2018, 17:12:42 »

A fundamental security flaw somewhere.

Is it on all Windows devices or 1 specifically. That will help you decide where the security flaw is.

And you know the solution...   ...wifi is fundamentally insecure.  And most routers and consumer devices, at best, only support WPA2. And virtually every WPA2 implementation is flawed as well.  Disabling wifi is a viable option.  In the meantime, never run with Administrative accounts (on any OS), and don't reduce the UAC settings in Windows (quite the opposite in fact).

On both laptops - wifi connected.

Disabling WPS on router, they disappear, as I said earlier, my next door neighbours are not computer literate so they're not trying to hack.

I don't run as administrator unless something warrants it.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2018, 17:18:38 »

So clearly the router is shit.  Use the available workarounds for that model, or get a decent one (though suspect this is a HH, so replacing router means loss of BT Wifi)
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2018, 17:26:32 »

HH6, but reading the forums, it happens on different makes of router, never happened on HH5.

WiFi is much better on HH6 than HH5.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2018, 17:51:20 »

HH6, but reading the forums, it happens on different makes of router, never happened on HH5.

WiFi is much better on HH6 than HH5.
Put the hh5 back in, and use cables ;)
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 November 2018, 10:01:39 »

Problem solved, one of the powerline adaptors was picking up the phones and tablets.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 November 2018, 16:46:55 »

Problem solved, one of the powerline adaptors was picking up the phones and tablets.
So either that adapter was connected to neighbours powerline network (and not yours), or (if it had built in wifi) was set to allow anyone and everyone in?

This tech might appear to look to be an easy solution to a (non existent, really) problem, but in essence they are all universally shite, insecure, problematic and never maintained.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 November 2018, 17:07:14 »

Are you also paying their 'leccy bill? ::)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 November 2018, 17:21:14 »

Are you also paying their 'leccy bill? ::)

No, I'm plugged into their garage - they haven't found out yet ::)
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 November 2018, 17:26:23 »

So either that adapter was connected to neighbours powerline network (and not yours), or (if it had built in wifi) was set to allow anyone and everyone in?

This tech might appear to look to be an easy solution to a (non existent, really) problem, but in essence they are all universally shite, insecure, problematic and never maintained.

I've set MAC address blocking on the extender, it's stopped the two phones and tablets showing on the windows network map.

After checking that, changed my router and extender passwords just to make sure.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 November 2018, 09:30:13 »

I've set MAC address blocking on the extender, it's stopped the two phones and tablets showing on the windows network map.

After checking that, changed my router and extender passwords just to make sure.
The fact is, to show under Windows under Network, your computer is receiving valid Computer Browser broadcasts from those devices. To receive them, they must have a valid, usable path for the broadcasts to get through...   ...ie, they *ARE* on the same network. Period.

Blocking MACs etc isn't the answer, there is something more fundamentally wrong.  Maybe the hub is allowing unauthenticated/unencrypted connections. Maybe the extenders are.  Maybe something is wrong with hub, and its allowing BT Wifi onto your private network, rather than VPN'd off to BT? Maybe the device you are seeing this shit on has a poor driver and is connecting to their network.

I think you need to work out what is going on, and educate the faulty device with a sledgehammer.
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 November 2018, 10:42:24 »

The fact is, to show under Windows under Network, your computer is receiving valid Computer Browser broadcasts from those devices. To receive them, they must have a valid, usable path for the broadcasts to get through...   ...ie, they *ARE* on the same network. Period.

Blocking MACs etc isn't the answer, there is something more fundamentally wrong.  Maybe the hub is allowing unauthenticated/unencrypted connections. Maybe the extenders are.  Maybe something is wrong with hub, and its allowing BT Wifi onto your private network, rather than VPN'd off to BT? Maybe the device you are seeing this shit on has a poor driver and is connecting to their network.

I think you need to work out what is going on, and educate the faulty device with a sledgehammer.

None of the devices are connected to my router.

None of the devices are showing an IP address.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 November 2018, 10:47:01 »

How are you determining that they don't have an IP?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 November 2018, 10:48:34 »

Unless you have enabled other protocols beyond IP of course...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.