Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Corsa, Engine Problems  (Read 20570 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Corsa, Engine Problems
« on: 23 January 2018, 07:34:20 »

Not a help or information request as such (although all opinions welcome) - more of a rambling thread.

Currently parked on my drive is a Vauxhall Corsa, it's a 2007 'D' with the almighty three cylinder 1 litre 12 valve engine. Female owned long term, not ragged or modified, reasonable history of oil changes etc.

I was told "It doesn't start very well, and when it's going, it judders a bit. It also stalls".

Understatement of the year  ;D It will only start at WOT, and then runs on at least only two cylinders, possibly one and a half. It won't idle, and cuts out as soon as it comes to a standstill.

Fault codes stored are: lambda sensor no2 open circuit, lambda 2 heater fault, general misfire, and misfire cylinder 1.

I've not looked at it, other than this (haven't even lifted the bonnet yet) - but will do so today.

My money, in this order, is on

1) Burnt out / damaged valve
2) Ring / piston trouble
3) Coil pack
4) Plug

Doesn't use any oil, and no visible smoke from the rear.

I'll be surprised if no1 is the troublesome cylinder, though, as normally on the three pot lumps, I thought it was usually no3 that suffers.

With aches/pains/rain I won't be doing any more than removing the plugs and doing a visual inspection / compression test today, but place your bets here as to what's wrong  ::)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Corsa, Engine Problems
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2018, 07:37:44 »

Interestingly, four years (and only 20,000 miles ago) she paid silly money to a garage, to fix a misfire. Having seen the invoice, this includes "cylinder head removal, resurfacing, and replacement of burnt out valve(s)"

So - something causing valves to burn - running lean due to fuelling issue perhaps

Or, maybe the garage couldn't be arsed to grind the valves in properly, causing  this further premature failure through lack of heat dissipation

Or worn guides.

Who knows  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2018, 08:03:08 »

Well if its not using oil then it wont be a piston or ring issue

Compression test as first job (pop the throttle body off to get it to WOT or put something on the accelerator)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2018, 08:04:59 »

Compression test as first job (pop the throttle body off to get it to WOT or put something on the accelerator)

Will do so, and post results - first job today.

There looks to be loads of room to work, and the engine small and light, so I quite fancy taking it on as a little challenge, especially if it's likely to be limited to top end trouble :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2018, 08:30:07 »

Will do so, and post results - first job today.

There looks to be loads of room to work, and the engine small and light, so I quite fancy taking it on as a little challenge, especially if it's likely to be limited to top end trouble :y

If it's the same one litre lump that the Corsa C had then head removal is quite a laborious task for something so small although as said access is good
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2018, 08:37:55 »

They're prone to intake manifold problems, which could easily be the fault. That can then cause the  HG problems that they are also known for.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2018, 09:06:38 »

All plugs are covered in thick white deposits, although none are oil fouled

Compression test -

Cylinder 1 - no compression (gauge JUST moved)

Cylinder 2 - 225psi - spot on

Cylinder 3 - 95psi

So my guess of running on 1.5 cylinders was about right!

I dropped a bit of oil into number 3 to see if it would rise, but annoyingly I tripped a bit and put more than a little drop in there. The compression went up to normal at this point, however, I think this was due to the excess oil, rather than anything else, so don't think the test was at all accurate.

Any thoughts?

Obviously, the head's going to have to come off either way..... Not a job I've ever done on a chain-driven corsa

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2018, 09:46:06 »

All plugs are covered in thick white deposits, although none are oil fouled

Compression test -

Cylinder 1 - no compression (gauge JUST moved)

Cylinder 2 - 225psi - spot on

Cylinder 3 - 95psi

So my guess of running on 1.5 cylinders was about right!

I dropped a bit of oil into number 3 to see if it would rise, but annoyingly I tripped a bit and put more than a little drop in there. The compression went up to normal at this point, however, I think this was due to the excess oil, rather than anything else, so don't think the test was at all accurate.

Any thoughts?

Obviously, the head's going to have to come off either way..... Not a job I've ever done on a chain-driven corsa

There is a timing kit that you'll need to reset cams after head replacement :y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Timing-Setting-Locking-TooL-Corsa-AGILA-3-Cylinder-1-0L-12V-1-2L-16V-/262513369296?clk_rvr_id=1422697562768&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=twenga&utm_campaign=twenga&utm_param=eyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwM2RkZTZmY2Q5MWUzOTM1MGU3ZThkNGVjZWMwOWFkMyIsImkiOiIyNjI1MTMzNjkyOTYiLCJ0cyI6MTUxNjcwMDgxMywidiI6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjM1NjI1fQ%3D%3D&rmvSB=true
« Last Edit: 23 January 2018, 09:47:48 by henryd »
other rides 

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2018, 10:18:21 »

First things first, check one of the cam shafts are not snapped (as I don't go for the two failures at once principle)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2018, 10:23:14 »

First things first, check one of the cam shafts are not snapped (as I don't go for the two failures at once principle)

Seen the front cam snap a few times on the 1.2 but not the 1.0................yet ::)
other rides 

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2018, 11:14:35 »

I have seen the exhaust one go on a 1.0  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2018, 13:34:44 »

I'll post pictures and full update later, but for now I'm off for a hot bath, as I hurt like a hurty thing after doing that.

Anyhow, three hours work (which I've discovered is my absolute limit  >:( :'() , the head is off. Camshafts are intact.

On cylinder number 1, the exhaust valves are both black. One valve is visibly holed, which is an obvious cause of the no-compression.

Cylinder 2, the exhaust valves are covered in white deposits, and are intact.

Cylinder 3, as per cylinder 2.

The inlet valves on all pots are black which looks normal.

The fire rings on the head gasket all looked intact, and as per previous update, no overheating / pressuring was present.

I filled the inlet and exhaust ports on the head with petrol, on cylinders 2 and 3, and there is no seepage past the valves whatsoever so far

The top of number 1 piston is pretty clean. Number 2 and 3 have more deposits as expected.

So why the 90psi, on cylinder 3?  :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2018, 13:52:17 »

I should add, I removed the injector connectors prior to compression test, so I can't see there being any bore wash issues etc

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2018, 15:09:13 »

I'll post pictures and full update later, but for now I'm off for a hot bath, as I hurt like a hurty thing after doing that.

Anyhow, three hours work (which I've discovered is my absolute limit  >:( :'() , the head is off. Camshafts are intact.
Posting in For Sale sections

Absolutely no links to your Ebay auctions, or Ebay auction numbers, or direct or indirect links to other places where it is advertised.

No posting for sale items in the 'wrong' areas to get around the postcount limits.
On cylinder number 1, the exhaust valves are both black. One valve is visibly holed, which is an obvious cause of the no-compression.

The fire rings on the head gasket all looked intact, and as per previous update, no overheating / pressuring was present.

I filled the inlet and exhaust ports on the head with petrol, on cylinders 2 and 3, and there is no seepage past the valves whatsoever so far

The top of number 1 piston is pretty clean. Number 2 and 3 have more deposits as expected.

You do leave yourself wide open  ;D

OOPS, there’s another one  ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2018, 15:10:27 »

Posting in For Sale sections

Absolutely no links to your Ebay auctions, or Ebay auction numbers, or direct or indirect links to other places where it is advertised.

No posting for sale items in the 'wrong' areas to get around the postcount limits.

You do leave yourself wide open  ;D

OOPS, there’s another one  ;D

Maybe it's lack of sleep, but you've totally lost me!  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.