Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 5325 times)

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
Exhaust
« on: 03 December 2019, 20:29:52 »

Well I was out fitting the sidelight bulbs as MOT due this month and as the engine was running just popped around the car checking lights etc and thought oh the engine is misfiring but then thought maybe the exhaust is blowing and sure enough it is.Rather a nice rust hole come slot almost on the back box joint but mid section and as the other side was also looking a little rusty about the same place thought I'll phone around for replacing the back half.A very quick look on the internet revealed a price of around £100 for parts so then I thought let's phone around the local fitters and see what prices they come back with.First up KWIK FIT and their price was a not insignificant £380 glad I was sitting down and then another with £325 and finally and old school friends garage quoted £260 for a WALKER'S exhaust with a 3 year guarantee.Just wondered on your thoughts on the prices and quality of exhaust as not chosen yet and I may get under car tomorrow to see if it's worth patching with some sort of bandage!!!

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2019, 20:37:21 »

And haven't asked but as I own a 2.6 Elite est any benefit in fitting a 3.2 exhaust? or is it the same?

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2019, 20:50:22 »

Have used TTM on ebay. Not too bad on price, seem well made and reasonable delivery time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=vauxhall+omega+2.6+exhaust&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vauxhall+omega+2.6+estate+exhaust&_sacat=0

You can get both middle and back box, for roughly £100 on ebay and delivered by 11 December.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2019, 20:53:04 by addy »
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2019, 21:09:02 »

I believe the Eternal kits (see eBoy, I mean eBay) are recommended by the OOF faithful. I shall be purchasing cat back system once I save enough pennies.

One thing I’ve always wondered and keep forgetting to ask... is there a donut gasket or something like that between the cat and centre sections? Sadly when I last replaced the cat back that the college tutor agreed I could swipe off the omega they had (and pass my exhaust fitting section 🤣) I only had an tin of gun gum to use as ‘temporary’ gasket. And that was a few years ago 🤣

RIP Paul Lovejoy

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2019, 21:37:23 »

And haven't asked but as I own a 2.6 Elite est any benefit in fitting a 3.2 exhaust? or is it the same?

No benefit other than it looks better with twin outlets. The exhaust is the same for both, just that the 3.2 has the twin exits on the back box. I had a 3.0 exhaust on my first Omega, which was a 2.5, many years ago.  :y
« Last Edit: 03 December 2019, 21:39:24 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2019, 21:41:43 »

I believe the Eternal kits (see eBoy, I mean eBay) are recommended by the OOF faithful. I shall be purchasing cat back system once I save enough pennies.

One thing I’ve always wondered and keep forgetting to ask... is there a donut gasket or something like that between the cat and centre sections? Sadly when I last replaced the cat back that the college tutor agreed I could swipe off the omega they had (and pass my exhaust fitting section 🤣) I only had an tin of gun gum to use as ‘temporary’ gasket. And that was a few years ago 🤣

When I fitted the Jetex to my 3.2, the original had a steel ring between the two flange parts.  :y

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2019, 22:07:02 »

Well I only have a set of ramps so changing an exhaust would be a tall order and I don't have a garage. A patch I will check out tomorrow  as it's just before the joint on the back box almost touching in fact. Just wondered on brand and price with having 3.2 exhaust twin backbox instead of single/Is the slot out of bumper big enough? etc

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2019, 22:20:15 »

Just wondered on brand and price with having 3.2 exhaust twin backbox instead of single/Is the slot out of bumper big enough? etc

Same bumper.  :y
The water drips on that point and rots them out.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2019, 22:21:49 »

You can change an Omega exhaust on the drive.

Easier to throw the local indy tyre place a few quid to fit it for you ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2019, 22:30:01 »

You can change an Omega exhaust on the drive.

Easier to throw the local indy tyre place a few quid to fit it for you ;)

I drove mine up a pair of ramps and then jacked the rear up and put another pair of ramps under the rear. Confused the hell out of the neighbours.  ;D
A pair of ramps at the front and axle stands at the rear would suffice. Only the flanges are bolted, the rest goes on hangers. Wiggling the back box duel pipes on was slightly challenging but other than that not too bad.

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2019, 22:46:46 »

Well I suppose £160 for someone else to do it is pricey I suppose the cat end is the tricky part.Wish I had a pit at least but on your back under 1 set of ramps in December is indeed a challenge.Mind you garage said they would need it all day which seemed particularly extreme!!!!

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2019, 23:03:05 »

There are no 'donut' gaskets between the front catalytic downpipes and the centre boxes. At least not if you are using factory fit or standard aftermarket equivalent parts. The flanges on each section should bolt tightly together and a smear of exhaust assembly paste on the pipe ends is all you should need.

The problem you are likely to encounter is that the flanges on the cat pipes have threaded holes for the bolts, two each side. The bolts will snap if you try and remove them so they'll have to be drilled out and replaced with a longer bolt and a suitable nut. That's the more difficult and time consuming part of the job. Unless the exhaust has been replaced previously and the cat side flanges are already drilled out.

Can still be done on the drive. Just need to make sure you have suitable drill bits to hand.

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2019, 00:12:05 »

I got a jetex cat back system around 6 years ago and they are S/S and are guaranteed for life, I looked at mine yesterday as MOT is due and it looks as good as the day I put it on but iirc was £550 so not cheap.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2019, 00:13:00 »

There are no 'donut' gaskets between the front catalytic downpipes and the centre boxes. At least not if you are using factory fit or standard aftermarket equivalent parts. The flanges on each section should bolt tightly together and a smear of exhaust assembly paste on the pipe ends is all you should need.

The link below shows the two metal rings at the bottom of the picture (metal gaskets). This is how mine is, and my previous Omega.  :y

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjsk8GM2JrmAhXMzKQKHf0UDGEQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.auspuffshop-geiz.de%2FAuspuffanlage-OPEL-OMEGA-B-3-2&psig=AOvVaw211s4K6lyWAowXLylxf4bc&ust=1575500784607705

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2019, 01:55:26 »

I've got 2 x 3.2's and 1 x 2.6, and I'm sure they all have a 'gasket' between the down pipes and the centre pipes. The down pipes have a welded threaded oval shaped fixed clamp which is usually the issue when trying to remove the bolts as they can shear off in it. Next to this clamp is a tapered metal woven gasket that sits on the end of the pipe on which the flared end of the centre pipe mates to. This woven gasket looks like it is part of the downpipe as it is a tight fit. The two pipes are secured by the two bolts that pass through the loose oval shaped clamp bolting into the fixed clamp on the downpipes.
If you think the bolts are going to shear, you can cut a very thin slot across the clamp through to the bolt, which will release the tension on it and aid its removal. Alternatively some heat will help.
Bear in mind that if you get a 2.5 or 3.0 litre rear box (some suppliers will say that they are cheaper and will fit ok), but the exit pipes are shorter than the 2.6 and 3.2, and will result in exhaust deposits discolouring the bumper above the exhaust pipes, so I would suggest you try to get the correct ones for your car.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2019, 02:03:05 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.