Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 14010 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #45 on: 11 September 2019, 11:51:02 »

Are we going to have the first confirmed case of hgf on a 3.2 ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11 September 2019, 11:54:15 »

HG on 3.2 is MLS, so shouldn't rot with abuse like an older composite.  But given tunnies service schedule, its possible I guess.

But if the coolant isn't going anywhere else, it has to be going inside.

Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 11 September 2019, 12:17:41 »

HG on 3.2 is MLS, so shouldn't rot with abuse like an older composite.  But given tunnies service schedule, its possible I guess.

Coolant fully flushed out 5 years ago, as per GM's long-life. Only done ~35k since then, as I average 7k a year. Cambelt serviced as per schedule annual pollen filter and air filter changes so not sure what schedule you refer to.

There is a clear difference on those spark plugs.  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 September 2019, 12:20:23 »

4 year service life ::)

As I suggested elsewhere, poor maintenance will kill a car quicker than mileage...
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11 September 2019, 12:25:24 »

Given fact I've spent a lot on welding, annual services, inspections on all belts/fluids/plugs, annual oil changes, brake discs and pads last year, I reject poor maintenance that keeps on being directed at me.

>:(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 September 2019, 12:29:50 »

Given fact I've spent a lot on welding, annual services, inspections on all belts/fluids/plugs, annual oil changes, brake discs and pads last year, I reject poor maintenance that keeps on being directed at me.

>:(
Yet by your own admission, you last changed the coolant five years ago  :-X

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11 September 2019, 12:32:26 »

And? It’s 5 year stuff.

GM state:

5 years or 150,000 miles

Nabbed from GM: *5 Years Longlife Protection. -36°c (Ambient) Winter Protection.

Like anyone here has not gone over the 4 year belt rule, or bent anything else as per rule book. But thanks as always for your condescending approach to me.

Let's also forget I took my 2.2 past 190k on it's original HG, yet many others failed way before this, despite being looked after.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2019, 12:50:20 by tunnie »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 September 2019, 12:51:48 »

But then again I of course neglected my 2.2 with poor serving according to you.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11 September 2019, 13:22:59 »

HG on 3.2 is MLS, so shouldn't rot with abuse like an older composite. But given tunnies service schedule , its possible I guess.

:-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11 September 2019, 13:41:01 »

Despite what GM shove on the sticker, its not really good for 5 years.  In the same way my XJ shouldn't have to wait 16k for an oil change.  I generally like to change my 5yr coolants at 2-3yrs, and the older 2yr coolant annually (though the Kawasaki was the last vehicle to use that)

Coolant, like oil, starts to degrade from the second it goes in, and I know you're not daft enough to leave your oil in for 20k, as per GM spec.  No offence intended with my earlier remark, but we know from previous posts that the Omega has been at the bottom of the priority pile.  Just offering as a suggestion as to why the normally bombproof 3.2 MLS gasket has failed, *IF* it has.  I'm not yet convinced it has, as a coolant to cylinder failure would often give massive pressure in coolant, and exhaust fumes in coolant bottle.  Personally, I'd be getting my ass in the valley, and pressure the coolant to around 8psi.

As said, not offence intended in any way, and hopefully none has been taken.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11 September 2019, 13:51:10 »

Despite what GM shove on the sticker, its not really good for 5 years.  In the same way my XJ shouldn't have to wait 16k for an oil change.  I generally like to change my 5yr coolants at 2-3yrs, and the older 2yr coolant annually (though the Kawasaki was the last vehicle to use that)

Coolant, like oil, starts to degrade from the second it goes in, and I know you're not daft enough to leave your oil in for 20k, as per GM spec.  No offence intended with my earlier remark, but we know from previous posts that the Omega has been at the bottom of the priority pile.  Just offering as a suggestion as to why the normally bombproof 3.2 MLS gasket has failed, *IF* it has.  I'm not yet convinced it has, as a coolant to cylinder failure would often give massive pressure in coolant, and exhaust fumes in coolant bottle.  Personally, I'd be getting my ass in the valley, and pressure the coolant to around 8psi.

As said, not offence intended in any way, and hopefully none has been taken.

There is no sign of high pressure, everything runs great apart from the drop. The starting issue is now clear, if I leave ignition on for ~5seconds before starting. It now starts smooth, with no issues. Given the amount it lost on Monday (half the header tank) I would have expected it to run poorly, but it was smooth as silk all day and was never down on power.

My next job is to get the Plenum off, I would hope the amount of food colour dye I put in would show if coolant bridge/oil cooler plate was at fault.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 September 2019, 14:10:17 »

I'll also hold my hand up ashamedly admit that my service schedule hasn't been what I wanted it to be, because life gets in the way, even for my Omega which is, basically my baby. Christ knows what will happen when/if I have kids, priorities.... I suspect they'll just have to go hungry on certain days of the week when my Omega needs money/work!  :D

I'd certainly repeat my earlier post about getting down below the 'Vs' and get some pressure in the system, which I see you're doing so happy days. Though I have in theory 'found' my leak I'm redoing the oil cooler as preventative maintenance, its a nobrainer whilst I'm down there.

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 September 2019, 14:23:28 »

My next job is to get the Plenum off, I would hope the amount of food colour dye I put in would show if coolant bridge/oil cooler plate was at fault.
Not sure on food dye, as never used it.  I use a modified cap with a valve in to pressure it up.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11 September 2019, 14:34:29 »

Nowt wrong with that, the only reason I didn't do the cap method - because my dad made one up years ago for a Cav I think..

a) would mean sourcing a known perfect cap - so a brand new one, realistically. Which I'd then drill a hole in, which would make me sad  ;D
b) doing that would mean technically the old cap could still be at fault - you'd never know
c) so b) being the case, it would therefore be worth buying two brand new caps, just to make certain the old cap wasn't at fault...
d) because theres several areas which are well hidden between the Vs that are known failure points all that needs to be off anyway.

hence the two smaller hoses method means the entire system is tested, including header/cap. Also me being stupidly tight and of limited resources (physical and mental) it was a free test. Schrader I had lying around and a bolt.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 September 2019, 19:26:17 »

Starting to think again it's expansion tank, I checked tonight, found moisture around the rim of the cap at the bottom.

Top of the tank is showing signs of the dye.... (before this tank was clear all over, with nice red GM coolant) the dye has affected the colour.

Again, bubbling sounds around cap, if my ear is close.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.