Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Images of my derv loan car  (Read 9011 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Images of my derv loan car
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2017, 20:23:52 »

Personally I like the colour. Imho there's far too many black silver and grey cars on uk roads.

That said, you can keep the black alloys  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2017, 20:24:54 »

Mark has bought the sensible option.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2017, 20:25:50 »

It really doesn’t matter how many bhp’s or torques it has, there is nowhere to use them in this country. My 2.0 derv astra is as fast as I could possibly need. Did a naughty overtake today on a 60mph single carriageway and was doing 90 before I knew it. The motorways are full of 50mph speed limits and variable speed limits and stupid, ignorant drivers. You just can’t do any more than 90-95 without seriously threatening your existence.
To use Lord Opti’s parlance, it’s no good having a 15 inch dick when all the women have 12 inch fannies. The extra 3 inches are just no use.  ;D

Apart from that, having a swanky, luxurious car is very nice and I would love a jag. But all this old school top trumps attitude might be good down the pub, or on a car forum, but is useless in real life.

And it’s days are definitely numbered  ::)

I know scouse girls are prone to loose knicker elastic when they've downed a few trebles during happy hour.......but even so. :D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2017, 20:30:42 »

Hmmmm.....not really my point.
The best car I’ve ever had, in my opinion, was a humble rover. A 623 SLi with the Honda 2.3 power unit. Really soft and comfortable drive, but Christ it could move when you wanted it to. Definitely towards the bottom of the top trump pile, but everything you need in a saloon car.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2017, 20:31:46 »

Mark has bought the sensible option.

I agree. Almost forty thousand pounds for a lumpy old derv drinker is not something I would do.

See how sensible I can be when I try.  :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2017, 20:40:29 »

The best car I’ve ever had, in my opinion, was a humble rover. A 623 SLi with the Honda 2.3 power unit. Really soft and comfortable drive, but Christ it could move when you wanted it to. Definitely towards the bottom of the top trump pile, but everything you need in a saloon car.

I like a car with good shove 35-80 for overtaking dodderers on A and B roads. 9-5 aero had the optimum power/torque compared to running costs. The M140i was more power than you could reasonably deploy on uk roads.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2017, 20:43:24 »

I like a car with good shove 35-80 for overtaking dodderers on A and B roads. 9-5 aero had the optimum power/torque compared to running costs. The M140i was more power than you could reasonably deploy on uk roads.
Exactly, Jimmy. My derv is not good from the lights, it changes gear three times before I hit 30. But from then on it has oodles of grunt, even when the revs are low.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 November 2017, 22:53:55 »

Clearly not trying hard enough Jimmy  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2017, 23:04:25 »

In all honesty I couldn't put that car anywhere near its limits on a regular B road and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I had her well into three figures, don't get me wrong. But unless all these pistonheads frequenters have much greater skills than I, there are some mighty Keyboard warriors out there.

Sure, you can blat it flat out down the slip road, or away from a roundabout, but that hardly requires much dexterity does it?

The problem is it's not really a lot of fun at that kind of pace, I'd much rather have a GT86/mx5/mk1 boxster and actually be able to explore the limits of the cars performance

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2017, 23:30:57 »

It really doesn’t matter how many bhp’s or torques it has, there is nowhere to use them in this country. My 2.0 derv astra is as fast as I could possibly need. Did a naughty overtake today on a 60mph single carriageway and was doing 90 before I knew it. The motorways are full of 50mph speed limits and variable speed limits and stupid, ignorant drivers. You just can’t do any more than 90-95 without seriously threatening your existence.
To use Lord Opti’s parlance, it’s no good having a 15 inch dick when all the women have 12 inch fannies. The extra 3 inches are just no use.  ;D

Apart from that, having a swanky, luxurious car is very nice and I would love a jag. But all this old school top trumps attitude might be good down the pub, or on a car forum, but is useless in real life.

And it’s days are definitely numbered  ::)

Until I was 50, I laughed in the face of that kind of talk. Now it makes perfect sense. Its probably because I'm getting old, but its the reason I gave up riding motorbikes. A short but objective talk with myself showed I couldn't justify it any more for all the reasons you mention.
Plus needing a licence to commute became essential for the first time in 30 years.
Oh for the days of yore, when roads were often empty and getting chased by the cops was a sport for both participants.  :'(   ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 November 2017, 07:53:19 »

In all honesty I couldn't put that car anywhere near its limits on a regular B road and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I had her well into three figures, don't get me wrong. But unless all these pistonheads frequenters have much greater skills than I, there are some mighty Keyboard warriors out there.

Sure, you can blat it flat out down the slip road, or away from a roundabout, but that hardly requires much dexterity does it?

The problem is it's not really a lot of fun at that kind of pace, I'd much rather have a GT86/mx5/mk1 boxster and actually be able to explore the limits of the cars performance

I agree with you there, you just can`t exploit it on B roads (My 370z is roughly the same performance wise), clit Sports and the like will run rings round them.

I have had some very good runs on some decent A roads though, particularly the A166 from York to Driffield where you can use the overtaking abilities that the MX5 and GT86 just don`t have. The only problems with roads like that is that they are popular with the bikers which in turn brings unmarked plod cars.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 November 2017, 08:42:47 »

Yes same derivative as mine (all be it the S version with go faster bling).

Jag do seem very good at giving out tempting courtesy cars, they also have by far the best and most friendly dealerships (way above the BMW/Merc/Audi ones in my experience)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 November 2017, 09:24:53 »

All slightly 'effete'

Cars designed for girlies to drive to the hairdresser, or the gay man to drive to the gym. ::)

The Datsun 370Z  that Mr Gav owns is more of a proper old-fashioned sports car similar to the Healey 3000 with a nice straight six up front.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 November 2017, 09:33:28 »

Yes same derivative as mine (all be it the S version with go faster bling).

Jag do seem very good at giving out tempting courtesy cars, they also have by far the best and most friendly dealerships (way above the BMW/Merc/Audi ones in my experience)

You've made a good choice as the new XF is a proper drivers car ( with the appropriate engine) ::)

The old XF seems more cumbersome in comparison with far more scuttle and bonnet in front of the driver. The new XF seems the smaller car yet it has more space, especially in the rear.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 November 2017, 09:40:33 »

It really doesn’t matter how many bhp’s or torques it has, there is nowhere to use them in this country. My 2.0 derv astra is as fast as I could possibly need. Did a naughty overtake today on a 60mph single carriageway and was doing 90 before I knew it.

The Zaf is a has reasonable go, like yours to get moving bit sluggish but once rolling it ain't bad being 2.0 diesel as well.

Coming out of 50mph section, drop it down a few and it's at 90 quite swiftly.

But, what I miss that the 3.2 has is effortless power, the ease at which is pulls away without getting in a sweat. So the power does not need to give outright speed :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.