Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Hole in cill pre MOT  (Read 12690 times)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
Re: Hole in cill pre MOT
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2017, 18:56:35 »

not easy to tell from the pic but it doesn't look too bad.  the main concern is the split along the seam, you will need to weld a plate over it.   the blister (probably hole)  looks minor, you could just clean up and fill with an epoxy filler.   

so i would mechanically and chemically remove the rust to get a feel for what is solid and most of all to get a clean rust free surface to weld to.  fertan chemical is probably the easiest to use as it is water based and doesn't dry, or an acid like Hydrochloric Acid (Muriatic Acid) while it is still legal.

i have an inverter mig welder but for that small section i would get out my stick/tig/plasma machine as it is less hassle to set up. you don't need a continuous neat weld, as a rough guide 1 inch of good weld holds a tonne.  then grind it neat and treat the inside liberally with penetrating rust treatment and the outside with an anti rust primer, either water based like vactan or preferably solvent based like fortress,  then underseal.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2017, 19:26:32 »

I bought a pair of sills for the Bullet, with the intention of Mr DTM to cut bits out and use bits of the replacement sills to weld back in, but it never happened before the car went.

The sills were about £40 delivered for the pair IIRC, worth it IMHO to save the effort fabricating a sheet the right shape.

I was recommended the Clarke 135 by MDTM, and find it an easy machine to work with...  ...my tip being whack the gas right up to max, ignoring the settings suggested in the booklet. It does use a fair amount of CO2, but just replace with bigger cylinder when time comes.

I think I probably have the capability to weld bits of sill in, but lack the confidence to do so.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2017, 20:40:38 »

Whacking the regulator up is important as Ive discovered that no gas actually comes out of it until it is set to number 4 (5 is maximum).
I plan on replacing the reg. with a better quality one at some point.
So far Ive got on ok with the little disposable gas bottles, but they aren't great value. On the other hand, if you only do a bit of welding once or twice a year,you have to take into account the cost and size of the large bottles.
My welder came with gauntlets and a basic mask. I wasn't keen on the mask so bought an automatic self darkening helmet.
The whole lot came in at just over £300 iirc.
I already had an angle grinder, and so far haven't bothered with an apron or thick overalls. I just wear old thick clothes and swear a lot if anything gets past them.  ;D
Again, it all depends on how often your likely to use it, and to some degree your attitude to the risk of a minor burn.
No excuse for risking your eyes though, so a proper protection is a must.
The instruction book for the welder was pretty good and got me started, and TB also emailed me some further stuff which helped even more.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2017, 07:38:15 »

Clarke 135 looks just like my Cebora, if so a good basic MIG welder. Mine cost me a donation to the lady across the road who'd just got divorced and was chucking out ex husband's stuff.

I was taught welding skills by a mate who did up land rovers for a living and I learned that basic MIG welding is a matter of power, wire speed, wire tension and the pace at which you work all in balance. A good argon/CO2 shroud goes a long way to keeping it neat too.

If it's any help I get 2.2L gas bottles from Telford welding and can do a fair bit with one bottle. Miggy currently on 3 wheels again whilst I weld new sections into rear inner arch behind plastic rear arch liner and dissolved flange behind bumper. Car is mechanically very strong with donkeys years left in it but would be on the scrapheap if I couldn't weld.

Ultimately a much cheaper solution than trying to replace it.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2017, 17:53:41 »

Clarke 135 looks just like my Cebora, if so a good basic MIG welder. Mine cost me a donation to the lady across the road who'd just got divorced and was chucking out ex husband's stuff.

I was taught welding skills by a mate who did up land rovers for a living and I learned that basic MIG welding is a matter of power, wire speed, wire tension and the pace at which you work all in balance. A good argon/CO2 shroud goes a long way to keeping it neat too.

If it's any help I get 2.2L gas bottles from Telford welding and can do a fair bit with one bottle. Miggy currently on 3 wheels again whilst I weld new sections into rear inner arch behind plastic rear arch liner and dissolved flange behind bumper. Car is mechanically very strong with donkeys years left in it but would be on the scrapheap if I couldn't weld.

Do tell.  :D ;D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 October 2017, 08:39:48 »

I bought a pair of sills for the Bullet, with the intention of Mr DTM to cut bits out and use bits of the replacement sills to weld back in, but it never happened before the car went.

The sills were about £40 delivered for the pair IIRC, worth it IMHO to save the effort fabricating a sheet the right shape.

I was recommended the Clarke 135 by MDTM, and find it an easy machine to work with...  ...my tip being whack the gas right up to max, ignoring the settings suggested in the booklet. It does use a fair amount of CO2, but just replace with bigger cylinder when time comes.

I think I probably have the capability to weld bits of sill in, but lack the confidence to do so.
Where did you but the sills, TB?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2017, 15:07:54 »

I bought some replacement sills from Cars2 and Daz just cut the bits off he required to replace the rusty sections he cut out.  :y
Could you give me a reference to cars2 please?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 October 2017, 15:23:56 »

My welder is a Clark 135 T, as recommended by TB and others on OOF. I'm glad I bought it as its quite an easy machine to learn with and produce acceptable results.  :y
Is that the Clarke 135TE welder page  on current Machine Mart catalogue, price £299.98 inc. vat?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 October 2017, 16:00:30 »

Have you still got the sills, but no need of them any more?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 October 2017, 17:53:09 »

My welder is a Clark 135 T, as recommended by TB and others on OOF. I'm glad I bought it as its quite an easy machine to learn with and produce acceptable results.  :y
Is that the Clarke 135TE welder page  on current Machine Mart catalogue, price £299.98 inc. vat?

It is indeed, although I bought it from somewhere else for about £40 cheaper, but I cant remember where from tbh.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 October 2017, 19:03:32 »

It is indeed, although I bought it from somewhere else for about £40 cheaper, but I cant remember where from tbh.
Machine Mart used to have VAT free days. Do they still have them?

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 October 2017, 19:51:50 »

Do tell.  :D ;D ;D
I couldn't just take a prefectly good functioning welder so the donation was £20 I think. Didn't donate anything else.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 October 2017, 18:53:33 »

Have you still got the sills, but no need of them any more?
They are in the roof of the garage currently.  I thought they would be worth keeping for TBE, as no doubt a time will come when that needs them.

I ordered them from the place VXL V6 recommended, but took ages to come, as they were waiting for them to be made.

If you are really desperate, timewise, and are passing this way, you can have these if you replace them. Sadly, too problematic to post. So I'd recommend trying to get some from place VXL V6 used, and only come here if they are slow to dispatch.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.