Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Brake Pads  (Read 2166 times)

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Brake Pads
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2010, 08:05:12 »

I have proper Vauxhall discs on front with cheap ones on back, but cheap pads all around.

Had to hit the brakes the other day not to hit a cat, by christ didn't she stop!

I'm thinking the difference between original brakes and pattern brakes is only very small, I did notice though with cheap front discs that she use to wobble when slowing from 70. They were replaced with proper discs lol
« Last Edit: 27 August 2010, 08:06:52 by pjwright »

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 August 2010, 08:31:29 »

All brake pads, branded or not must meet the same specifications ( it's a legal requirement ).

So there will be no problems associated with non-branded pads

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 27 August 2010, 09:11:37 »

I suppose that makes sense, take trade club and oe pads, they both have the same bite point, and both stop the car on it's nose when required, but oe offer better feel in the area in the middle with subtle pedal pressure changes.......and cost £50 more of course.

Thanks woody, didn't know that.

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 August 2010, 09:29:32 »

All brake pads, branded or not must meet the same specifications ( it's a legal requirement ).

So there will be no problems associated with non-branded pads
Just bear in mind that cheap chinese knock offs probably won't meet the legal requirement, fake branded parts is a huge business across all industries. (I spent 5 years as an electronics buyer and i've seen the capabilities of these Chinese factories)

And back to the point, I put TC pads on my elite a year or so ago and found they were much worse for dust on the wheels.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 August 2010, 11:53:51 »

anyone selling un-tested brake pads in the UK is breaking the law. simple.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #20 on: 27 August 2010, 12:11:15 »

No consolation if you bought un-tested brake pads and had a subsequent accident!!  Vx pads are a known quality!! ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 August 2010, 15:19:02 »

Yes but people still sell them as per this link from 3 weeks back http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2010/0804/1224276141725.html it's no good just saying that unbranded pads are fine.

I'm happy to pay a premium to buy pattern parts from a reputable factors or VX direct, more so when my life depends on that part.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2010, 10:59:54 »

this is no more prevalent than un-tested tyres or firdges or mobile phones for that matter.

to sell brake pads within the EU, you need a type approval. This is exactly the same for branded pads as non-branded pads, with the result being of the same quality. look for the "e" of "E" mark on the pad.

I actually doubt if there's a brake pad factoryu anywhere in the world that'll make brake pads which don't meet this standard. These are not items that you can just knock up in your shed.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 August 2010, 11:36:45 »

Woody. How times change. 40 years ago a good friend set up a business selling "cheap brake pads and shoes". I think they were Dutch. Business was booming. It came to an abrupt end when we were competing in a night rally up North and his cheap competition front pads caught fire and disintegrated. He stopped selling them from that day on and lived to not tell the tale! 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 September 2010, 08:55:18 »

in any case, you'd need harder brake pads for any kind of motorsport event - he's barking not to have fitted them.

must still meet the same standards tho
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.