Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get the bonnet open on 1997 Cadillac Catera  (Read 1080 times)

atikovi

• Suburban Washington DC
    • Catera
    • View Profile
Can't get the bonnet open on 1997 Cadillac Catera
« on: 20 January 2019, 17:31:30 »

Just got the car and the bonnet was already open when I looked at it last week. Picked it up and drove it home yesterday (thank heaven the battery was OK and I didn't need to jump it) but now I can't open the bonnet. I pull the lever and it feels tight so the cable can't be broken. I put a rod under the lever to hold it out, and tried to work the bonnet up and down with no luck. What next? Pull the lever even harder? It seems all the way out. Can I access the latch from under the car? Can I remove the grill with the bonnet closed to access it?

atikovi

• Suburban Washington DC
    • Catera
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get the bonnet open on 1997 Cadillac Catera
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2019, 18:20:01 »

Never mind. Pounded on the bonnet some more and it released. Adjusted and greased the pin with PTFE lube and it works like it should.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2019, 18:21:50 »

Just got the car and the bonnet was already open when I looked at it last week. Picked it up and drove it home yesterday (thank heaven the battery was OK and I didn't need to jump it) but now I can't open the bonnet. I pull the lever and it feels tight so the cable can't be broken. I put a rod under the lever to hold it out, and tried to work the bonnet up and down with no luck. What next? Pull the lever even harder? It seems all the way out. Can I access the latch from under the car? Can I remove the grill with the bonnet closed to access it?

If the bonnet sticks get someone reasonably heavy to sit/push down hard on the front leading edge, then  pull the release lever and hold it out, then get the person to release the bonnet. Always works (well always has for me !!  )   :)

EDit .. crossed your second post .. glad its sorted now .. :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2019, 18:26:26 »

I was replying but you beat me to post  :P
in the past ,same problem ,I got someone to lightly bounce (push down /pull up)the bonnet front  while someone pulls the cable . :y
which is similar method to Entwood's reply

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2019, 18:40:06 »

I had the same problem with mine. but resorted to wrapping the outer cable with duct tape and then put a larger self tapping screw in to hold the clip in place and so far it seems to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.