Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Corbyn caves in  (Read 7589 times)

STEMO

Re: Corbyn caves in
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2019, 19:14:05 »

Electing the British parliament is something to be done by the British people. I cant see any coherent argument for allowing people who aren't British to elect the British parliament.
I can think of many good reasons to raise the voting age, but none at all to lower it.

I suppose the argument in favour of 16 year olds voting is if they work and pay tax they have a right to representation.

Not sure how that works for the lazy f*ckers who don't have a job before they are 30. :)
How many 16 year olds do you know that fall into that bracket? Let me guess......none? They should be in full time education or on an apprenticeship until at least 18.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2019, 19:15:20 »

Not many 16 year olds go out to work these days. My system would be, you get the right to vote after having paid five consecutive years income tax.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2019, 19:16:51 »

No worries anyway. From the bbc website:

Efforts by opposition MPs to lower the voting age to 16 and allow EU nationals to take part have failed.
Proposed changes to the PM's early election bill to extend voting rights were not selected for debate by the Deputy Speaker despite enjoying cross-party support.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2019, 19:49:23 »

Not many 16 year olds go out to work these days. My system would be, you get the right to vote after having paid five consecutive years income tax.

Five years. How long for a resident foreign national to qualify to vote? Five years, fifteen years, never? They ( we) pay taxes, use services.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2019, 19:52:32 »

I wouldn't have minded if 16 and 17 year olds were given the vote.  :)

But if they are considered old enough to vote, then they should be considered old enough for the full range of rights and responsibilities enjoyed by adults as well, like driving, buying alcohol, joining the armed forces and serving on the front line etc etc.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2019, 20:11:37 »

The bill to hold the election on the 9th December has been defeated by 20 votes. MP's are out, voting for 12th and, as the SNP and Lib Dem's have remained seated(abstained), it looks as if it will go through easily.

So December 12th it is.

Edit: Sorry SNP and DUP abstaining.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2019, 20:22:18 by STEMO »

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 29 October 2019, 20:26:04 »

Rubber stamped, so get your long johns out.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2019, 20:36:29 »

Got to vote but none of the t#@ts deserve a vote IMHO however Nigel Farage will get my vote.
Laying a rubber road.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2019, 21:10:28 »

As long as Nigel Farage and Co don't screw it up and split the Cons vote. :)
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 October 2019, 21:12:24 »

Corbyn & that stupid bitch Abbott need to be shipped of to an island surrounded by sharks that is sinking slowly, makes my blood boil every time I see them.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2019, 21:15:46 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2019, 21:14:11 »

Cons don’t deserve a single vote
Laying a rubber road.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2019, 22:14:42 »

Electing the British parliament is something to be done by the British people. I cant see any coherent argument for allowing people who aren't British to elect the British parliament.
I can think of many good reasons to raise the voting age, but none at all to lower it.

What a bizzarre , but in reality , truly desperate suggestion for Labour /Corbyn to make .
I cannot vote in any national election here in ireland , I can vote for MEP's and local elections , but not the former  and afaik that same situation applies in the other eu member states too.
Any remaining veneer of having any sense has been stripped from them .

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2019, 22:23:54 »

What a bizzarre , but in reality , truly desperate suggestion for Labour /Corbyn to make .
I cannot vote in any national election here in ireland , I can vote for MEP's and local elections , but not the former  and afaik that same situation applies in the other eu member states too.
Any remaining veneer of having any sense has been stripped from them .

Actually, from his point of view it makes total sense ..... he is a closet "remainer" and will no doubt push his party in that direction... so why not push to let EU nationals vote, as they will vote for the party offering the most serious "remain" option.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 October 2019, 22:38:28 »

Corbyn & that stupid bitch Abbott need to be shipped of to an island surrounded by sharks that is sinking slowly, makes my blood boil every time I see them.

Me too, but I want them shipped out to the desert and buried up to their necks along with that Jess whatever and Ian blackford that Bercow and that little Tvat Rory Stewart, ...ahh fk it burn the lot of the fkers I could go on all night!!
Laying a rubber road.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 October 2019, 23:08:56 »

We'll probably see the Lib dems score big time as they will be seen as the least offensive option  :-\
They're just as culpable as the rest. Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

Gunpowder is a bit old fashioned. I've been in touch with Macron to see if he has some spare Exocets I can buy.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.