Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tv forums  (Read 3372 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Tv forums
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2021, 11:13:37 »

samsung power supplies with the faulty caps.
As its a very well known problem, it doesn't really need any diagnosing, so I tend not to bother on those.

Despite being a qualified TV repair person* - albeit it in the old analogue days - I knew I'd never make money off it, and only every did as a bit of a hobby.  I enjoy diagnosing that sort of thing.  But the tedium of getting the iron out and replacing capacitors on something that doesn't need any diagnosis means I simply CBA ;D

*Should read Engineer, but I know that'll get DTM's goat up ;D
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2021, 17:40:52 »

around here there are a few tv repair shops and theyre always packed out so theres money still to be made ,after all new ones aint cheap so a repair is worthwhile .i would imagine its mainly led backlighting faults nowadays.
im not particularly bothered about 4k as i dont have 4k eyes ! so as plasma is vastly superior to lcd thats what i favour nowadays.
although my main living room tv is still a 36" panasonic crt and is hard to fault picture and especially sound wise.
lets not start a debate thou !  each to there own .

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2021, 18:41:51 »

They are throwaway items now.  Minimal heat generation from the recent LED backlit LCDs helps with reliability, and most are 2 PCB surface mount, so tends to be board swapping for many workshops.  With even branded 40" LCDs costing less than £300, people aren't willing to pay £150 to repair their shitty old ones. well, not enough of them to make money off it.  Plus I got my certifications back when the G11 chassis was all the rage ;D

LCD technology panels far surpassed Plasma and other phosphorous technologies years ago.  The niche look-at-me's could potentially argue that only pretty recently did LCD blacks match plasmas, but a) they are wrong in all everyday conditions, b) far more to picture quality tan blacks.
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2021, 20:26:08 »

local shop here says 95% of all faulty tvs now are led backlights and cannot remember ever having to change any flourescent backlights of pre led ones.says they are usually overdriven and can fail very quickly especially if backlight setting is high.hes mown out with repairs and opens 7 days so hes ok !
my partner  has a superb 65" panasonic 700 series that we bought and repaired which runs at about 750 watts. certainly gives off some heat but picture is excellent and sound quality is out of this world.she loves it.
a few years back i had a ferguson colourmaster 24" ? i think ,(ex der rental set)that certainly gave off some heat  and was a complicated beast to keep going.
excluding the very new 4k led screens ive yet to see any lcd set that looks good.even when set up properly they never look real to me .partly my eyes,partly my refusal to modernise ! but it doesnt realy matter does it,we all like what we like .

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2021, 20:39:11 »

750 watts, 5 hours a day ,365 days a year = 1,368 KWh @ 18p is about £250 in electric per year  :o
I hope you don't watch it much  :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2021, 20:41:17 »

750 watts, 5 hours a day ,365 days a year = 1,368 KWh @ 18p is about £250 in electric per year  :o
Hoo
You save on the heating bills though.
Diesel till I die

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2021, 20:44:00 »

funnily enough.her son is working from home at the moment so he has the tv on all day long as background noise !
thats 9 hours a day  5 days a week .plus she watches all the soaps on an evening too. like you say shel save on heating thou !lol

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2021, 20:45:43 »

Hoo
You save on the heating bills though.
???
£250 would buy nice coats for all the family  ;D

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2021, 20:50:29 »

dont tempt her. she got enough coats already !

( and boots,and hats ,and etc etc)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2021, 20:53:08 »

dont tempt her. she got enough coats already !

( and boots,and hats ,and etc etc)
sounds like the lady needs handbags  ;D ££££££  :-X

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2021, 20:59:22 »

oh yeah she goes through them too. ( probably with carrying all my stuff round too doesnt help. theres always some tools in there and recently when we went for a walk we found a street lamp head so that went in too !)
amazing how these post go off on tangents. like watching ronnie corbett in his chair. !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 February 2021, 18:09:25 »

funnily enough.her son is working from home at the moment so he has the tv on all day long as background noise !
thats 9 hours a day  5 days a week .plus she watches all the soaps on an evening too. like you say shel save on heating thou !lol
It'll be shagged in a few weeks. Plasmas degrade from the moment the are used, and after around 1000 hours its very visible.  Even on Panasonic, who arguable made some of the best plasmas (because they hung on to the bitter death, being unable to make a decent LCD.

As to LCD reliability, the inverters for the older ccf tubes used to retune to channel smoke, and the ccf's themselves had a limited life. Not seen or heard of many LED backlights go, and certainly not worth repairing unless its something special.  Maybe sweatshop labour is more affordable up north?  Round here, anyone who can use a heat station competently is gonna want more than £20 an hour, even at sweatshop rates, and do-gooders insist on the right 'ealth and safety.  So I'd be wanting around £200 for a 45 minute repair, which nobody in their right mind would stump up for.  More if they wanted collection/delivery.
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 February 2021, 18:39:13 »

all personal taste and experience i suppose.
if her tv breaks we will have to find another the same. its been on 9 hours a day now for the last 6 months so wont be long now ! lol.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 February 2021, 00:06:11 »

Might want to take a look here.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/

Oh, dear. I appear to have lost an entire evening in their Vintage Computing section. :-[
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 February 2021, 12:37:47 »

PLOT TWIST - TV isn't television  :-X
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.