Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tv forums  (Read 3379 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Tv forums
« Reply #30 on: 24 February 2021, 12:58:27 »

PLOT TWIST - TV isn't television  :-X
I'm NOT googling "TV" to find out  ::)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 February 2021, 13:29:39 »

PLOT TWIST - TV isn't television  :-X
I'm NOT googling "TV" to find out  ::)
I wonder how many would get the reference if I said, 'Sweet TV'?

Oddball musical knowledge.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 February 2021, 17:27:02 »

as said earlier its all personal taste. i like mending stuff regardless and more so if its your hobby. similar to the car scene realy.if i wanted modern souless crap id buy a kia or hyundai but as with many others on here i prefer older and debatably better stuff.this works for me in my life and relates to most things.tv,s,hi-fi,cars,houses,even people ! especially women. no way in a million years would i want to be 21 again and have that kind of lifestyle that people that age seem to want nowadays.all fake. no way hose !
you have only to look at some older music videos on youtube to realy appreciate just how bad things are nowadays. look up magic from 1987 by olivia newton john. seriously.she was absolutely stunning,never realy noticed before.no tatts or piercings.no arse or boobs hanging out and sings like an angel with no computer autotune. no-one comes close nowadays. im glad i grew up when i did !

anyway.......
after looking on ebay last night someone is selling a non working zt 65 60" plasma. spares or repair for £475 .might have been tempted if it was a fair bit cheaper .
anyway back to original question.
ive looked around a few forums etc and possibly badcaps is the one to join.seems to have more or less everything im interested in .

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 February 2021, 20:11:03 »

You can buy a new tellybox for that :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 February 2021, 17:17:25 »

You can buy a new tellybox for that :o
Plus a 2nd hand plasma is as bad as a 2nd hand CRT.  I wouldn't pay that for a spankers one, let alone one that the screen is already knackered on.
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 February 2021, 17:43:02 »

like i said. all personal preferance and what your own eyes like best.
personally ive never seen a lcd that can beat a plasma and to be honest theres nothing wrong with a good crt. yes crt wont have perfect alignment / uniform convergance but the picture looks real.
plasma to me is the next best alternative to "real lifelike looking" in terms of colour accuracy and realism but every lcd ive seen ( especially your smaller cheaper stuff) just looks false. colours dont look real even if turned down. plus the leds dont last long.cfl better but picture still not great.
partners 65" 700 panasonic plasma is possibly the best tv weve seen .if it ever goes faulty she will demand another of the same although i doubt we will ever be so lucky as we were with this one. £50 non working and only needed a ribbon reseating .
as i say this is MY opinion.( and hers !) dont want to start an argument or cause offence.
its like hi-fi preferance. when i was in the trade we had a listening room with multiple sources,amps and speakers to switch between and when we had a listening appointment we didnt always tell the customer what he was listening to but asked them to choose with their own ears. they often brought their own vinyl to use and were often suprised when their final choice wasnt necesarily the highest priced( and no doubt pleased too)
most listeners couldnt tell differences between cabling unless you told them you were using a better cable and then some said they did. so that makes a question mark over it ?
as we explained .it doesnt matter if the item has won loads of awards. its your ears that are listening to it and if a £200 pair of speakers sound better to them than a £1000 pair then thats the right choice !
same with everything in life . within reason we are all our own boss

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 February 2021, 12:59:06 »

like i said. all personal preferance and what your own eyes like best.
Couldn't agree more, and wasn't necessarily actually disagreeing, but...

personally ive never seen a lcd that can beat a plasma and to be honest theres nothing wrong with a good crt. yes crt wont have perfect alignment / uniform convergance but the picture looks real.
A CRT (like a plasma) degrades with every hour its on. On a CRT, its known as the tube starting to go soft (The phosphor coating wearing away, combined with the vacuum not holding as well and contamination on the electron gun(s). This makes the picture less sharp (or "soft"), and leaves contrails.

Back when I did my 224 in colour TVs, a tube's life was deemed to be utterly ended at about 3500 hours.  That's around 5 years with 2hrs per day, at medium brightness.  Also, that was on the tube's softness, not things like screen burn, which happen much quicker. A soft screen still "works" though.

Now your old Great Aunty Ivy, who has had the same TV since 1970, hasn't noticed this because its happened gradually, so is perfectly happy with the blurry, unwatchable mess. And back in the day when the National Anthem played, you could see that white spot forever on a CRT that was more than a couple of years old ;D

Plasma displays degrade similar, but its phosphor (plasma still uses phosphor, like CRTs) and the electrode coatings that slowly degrade.  Again, it makes the picture soft.  Some people may prefer that, but you are losing the detail and it can't display fast motion well.

That's not to say that catastrophic failures don't happen with CRTs or Plasmas - both are more prone to them that LCD sets, due to the thermal stresses.

LCDs don't really suffer this softness. But can still obviously catastrophically fail.  Early LCDs had a real issue with (back)light bleed.  Not really noticeable against a CRT, but because of this a new plasma produced better blacks.  Because of the way plasmas, like CRTs, degrade with use, a 2yr old plasma could no longer produce better blacks, unless that area of the screen had been black for an extended period - so for example, top and bottom black bars on a letterboxed video looked proper black, but a black object in the picture wasn't, as the phosphor on a degraded panel takes longer to stop fluorescing.

More modern LCDs overcome this by tighter manufacturing tolerances (even on cheap unbranded tat), LED backlighting, software controlled area backlighting or by using OLED panels instead which don't need backlighting.

Hope that helps in further understanding your hobbys.
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 March 2021, 20:07:00 »

all taken note of and appreciated. thankyou.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 March 2021, 21:16:10 »

The biggest issue with 'modern' LED, OLED or propitiatory QLED* picture quality is the terrible presets they are shipped with.

If you actually spend some time setting up the picture as YOU like it, you cannot beat them.  As an example, I have a LG 65CX5LB OLED TV in the living room and a LG 60UF850V LED TV in the bedroom.  Despite both TV's being quite different (and running different operating systems), they ship with similar presets.  When I watch TV in the bedroom (usually sport, as SWMBO doesn't like it) I'm in pitch-black darkness, so stands to reason that the picture brightness should be less than that of the living room.  The point I'm trying to make is, if I picked up both TV's and swapped them over, I'd hate the quality of both pictures.  They NEED to be setup for the environment they are used in, and just as importantly, the eyes of the person watching it.

Another note on personal preference.  I cannot stand HDR.  Everything I have watched in HDR (admittedly not a great deal) has looked very fake.  I'm not sure if my TV reverts to a 'preset' when it gets a HDR signal, but it just looks pants.  I'm sure there are others who very much enjoy it.

*QLED is not worth buying.  Currently, the quantum dots cannot illuminate themselves, so it's more of a traditional backlit LED (just a bit more advanced).  Keep your eyes peeled for MicroLED TV's.  They are the future.  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 March 2021, 22:37:53 »

yes personal preference is everything agree 100%.
thats true with everything in life full stop.
personally i cant stand the majority of modern things and modern life in general which is why im stuck in retro 1978-1986 land !
when i get old ( older !) and if i start wandering back in time in my mind as some do they wont be able to notice a difference in me !
thats why i intend keeping my current crt,plasmas and vinyl .and my current vehicles .yes i suppose in reality the omega is the odd one out realy as i consider it to be modern ( nearly new ) type vehicle compared to my others. but seeing as ive managed to own and maintain them as everyday use vehicles for the last 35 years then the omega should be a breeze providing i can still get service parts.and also wether i will have to convert any to electric in the future ( lets hope not !)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.