Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving the planet  (Read 3778 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Saving the planet
« on: 18 August 2019, 20:39:33 »

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.

The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The shop assistant responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right  our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on toexplain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.  Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things.  Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol or electricity just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.

We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.  We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

Well done older generation, our green buddies! 
Laying a rubber road.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Saving the planet
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2019, 22:01:30 »

Sarcasm: the finest form of wit!

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2019, 22:12:02 »

yep milk bottles when empty were rinsed out and put on doorstep for milkman to take away when he delivered fresh next day.Pop bottles returned to shop[several times if we could get away without being caught!]In winter ashes from the fire were spread on the garden path/drive.We had a Rediffusion radio in the kitchen and a TV in the sitting room and TV stations shut down at night instead of broadcasting a load of dross 24/7.Every schoolday rain or shine was walked[that was from starting in infant school until leaving senior shool.Meals were cooked using fresh or frozen/tinned ingredients-none of this pre-packaged stuff-meat was bought from a butchers and didn't come on a plastic tray covered in cling film.Used newspapers could also be taken to local fish'n'chip shop to be used for wrapping-they always tasted better in newspaper!! So there was always lots of recycling going on without all the fanfare that surrounds todays "green credentials" brigade.But what do us old gits know about it?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2019, 22:37:48 »

My plastic milk bottles have "green" tops
and I drive a green rare, star silver environmentally friendly 2.6  :y
not much else I can do  :-\
I cut all but 1 of my trees down , so I suppose I could hug the last one  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2019, 22:41:00 »

A real exchange:

What are you doing about global warming?

My friend's answer - Well, I've just bought a convertible ;D ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2019, 22:44:54 »

I;m all for "global warming"
anything to cut down the heating bills  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2019, 23:44:27 »

I'm not sure how true this is, but I read that the crew of the yacht that Greta Thunberg (the 16 year old climate change expert) is sailing to New York on will be flown back to Europe and a replacement crew flown out to bring the yacht back.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2019, 07:37:02 »

I don't think the younger generation blames older people for climate change. All generations are feeling the effects of it and are aware that changes are necessary.
Some of the younger generation blame the previous few generations for spending all the money...........and they're probably right, although it was done in ignorance.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2019, 11:09:27 »

My take on global warming is.

It's a natural occurrence that happens ever 1000's of years, it's just we can now detect it, when dinosaurs wandered around they couldn't,they just thought it was the seasons changing..  This theory is probable by looking at core samples taken from around the wooooorld.
Hoof'land storeman.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2019, 11:29:17 »

The minor cycles are shorter than that, BG. Massive sunspot flare-ups occur on a c200 year basis and lesser ones on an 8-to-11 year basis.
Minor flares have a gentle effect on our climate and major ones send us scurrying to the green parties for help!
There is nothing that we can do about either type.
Your 1,000 year cycles are an unknown quantity as nobody living now has had any experience of them!
Take comfort from the fact that this planet is a f***ing great self-correcting machine and can cope with such problems.....

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2019, 12:26:02 »

I'm not sure how true this is, but I read that the crew of the yacht that Greta Thunberg (the 16 year old climate change expert) is sailing to New York on will be flown back to Europe and a replacement crew flown out to bring the yacht back.  :)

Hard to believe this girl is sixteen. She looks about eleven or twelve. Bright kid though. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2019, 12:27:55 »

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.

The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The shop assistant responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right  our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on toexplain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.  Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things.  Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol or electricity just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.

We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.  We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

Very witty....... :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2019, 13:00:51 »

Just don't mention CFC's, asbestos, powering everything with coal, lead in petrol etc. etc......  :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2019, 13:17:31 »

Just don't mention CFC's, asbestos, powering everything with coal, lead in petrol etc. etc......  :D

There is that..... :-X

On a personal level I never throw away any food and never leave a bulb burning when there is nobody in the room. All bulbs are LED's.

Even my Jag is 'green'.......as I only travel around 3000 miles a year.......which means it kicks out less Co2 than a Fiesta/Corsa doing 12000 miles a year. ::) ::)

Oh, and I would never buy a car that runs on derv. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2019, 13:37:59 »

Hard to believe this girl is sixteen. She looks about eleven or twelve. Bright kid though. :y

Mmmm... There are some clever people in the background, no doubt crowdfunding for all they're worth for Greta's 'expenses'....  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.