Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: drakos, omega trackday toy  (Read 18570 times)

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
drakos, omega trackday toy
« on: 11 May 2015, 22:13:55 »

after i saw that my welcome topic is closed after a week ( that must be why i didn't get any response anymore  :-\ )
i thought let's post the updates for my trackday toy over here.

it started a few weeks ago as a full option 2.5 manual.. it is painted in plastidip so it wil get back to it original deep red soon
(they only put up one or two layers, nightmare to remove )

after a good few hours of stripping it looks like this

the plan is to strip out all of the weight, build a rollcage, allready got 2 cobra seats, rebuild the engine (headgasket failed) and then tear it down the track  8)
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
omega v6 2.5 trackday project
calibra 8v daily

Delroy47

• Intermediate Member
  • Luton
    • 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: drakos, omega trackday toy
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2015, 22:35:42 »

"the plan is to strip out all of the weight, build a rollcage, allready got 2 cobra seats, rebuild the engine (headgasket failed) and then tear it down the track"
sounds like a good plan  :y

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2015, 08:31:07 »

that is the plan, i've paid around 250 pound for it,
so if i park it upside down in the gravel, no loss  :P

it doesn't have to be road legal anymore so i can literately strip out all the weight.

so here's an example of my dedication for the diet  ;); (still in progress, this is a rough first try to see how far i can go)

already am quite a bit further in the build, dash is out, all the heating and junk, all of the wiring is out.
will make some more pic's later this week
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015, 10:47:30 »

'after i saw that my welcome topic is closed after a week ( that must be why i didn't get any response anymore  :-\ )
i thought let's post the updates for my trackday toy over here.

Hi...just a note to say that the Newby Welcome section is just for new people to say hello. No slur on you whatsoever that it was closed. :y
Keep posting your updates and pictures here. I am sure we are all intrigued. Best of luck with the project :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2015, 20:50:32 »

Looking forward to updates on your track toy :)
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2015, 17:36:16 »

a few extra pic's.

dissembled the head's and removed everything that is not necessary (still debating with myself on the abs)

removed the battery tray

and on the inside; removed the dash, stripped the wiring loom (stil got a lot to go)

and the cobra bucket seats that i bought for less than 20 pound :cool: (gonna re upholster them)

and the finish t the first door.. removed the impact bars and even more sheet metal around, only had to reweld the reinforcement of the window frame back in place (top left corner)

and this is how she stands now..  half peeled plastidip and tape to keep the windows up :lmao:

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2015, 17:39:38 »

long time since i've updated this. just din't had the time to work on the car..
but the last few days i've been cracking on.

first of, removed the abs, wheel arches, unnecessary wiring, heatshields and so on.
reason why i haven't finish t the engine is because of the space.. want to make some more modifications before i fill the engine room with the head and intake

next up was to skin the remaining doors (still some impactbars remnants to go)

than it was time for some more metal cutting... removed the base of the back seats

and the entire rear firewall to make room for the cage.. really roomy now inside the car :lmao:

and trial fitted the dash to look what brackets and stuff can retire  there

still an evil looking car :cool:

and this is how far it has raised itself.. already was lowered 2,5 inch :)

next up is to remove the sound deadening, make a new tunnel for the side exhaust and some new mounting points for the seats.
after that its off to the fabricator for the rollcage.. can't wait
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2015, 19:00:29 »

MrsGK and I are considering something similar in the future - why not build up a 3.0 to go in there? Could even experiment with some tuning...  :D
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

jamiew

• scotland
    • omega turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2015, 19:40:05 »

Very nice building my omega to track and drift spec as well at the moment looking forward to seeing your cage  :y

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2015, 20:59:13 »

don't need to expiriment with tuning a x30. 8)..

this is my 3.0 4x4 calibra.. make's around 270hp

reason i'm sticking with the 2.5 for now is simply because it is in it.. with the camshafts and intake from the x30 it make's around the same number as the 3.0.. and that stuff i've also got lying around so it is free  8)

first the car wil only do trackdays for testing purposes, at a later stage i'm going to change the engine depending on the rules the racing class it's going to enter.. so probobly going to be 4banger saab/let turbo or even atmospheric high reving xe or something.

so rather trow my money and time to the suspension and brake setup, instead of an engine that may not even be legit for racing.

@jamiew; thanks.. do you have a topic somewhere?, maybe we can steal ideas from each other  :)   
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2015, 14:52:11 »

few more updates.

removed a large part of the sound deadening, removed some more brackets, mounting point etc. sanded it down and gave it a bit of primer

next up was some more weight savings.. skinned the bootlid and hood

next was to measure the needed parts and body modifications for the suspension.
so removed the springs and dropped the car on its shocks.. no space issues there only some minor modifications needed.
after that raised the car a few inches with metal pipes around the shocks to determine the ride height and get a measurement for the needed coilovers and springs.
this gonna be it ( probably a bit more lower on the front )

and had a go at removing the plastidip.. quite a decent car under it :cool:

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2015, 14:59:59 »

Great work! More pictures when you have them!  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

jamiew

• scotland
    • omega turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2015, 13:20:32 »

what front bumper is that looks good

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2015, 13:30:45 »

Nice project, keep up! :)
Driving: Vectra - 2002 - 2.2 "GTS" - Manual
Old: Omega - 1999 - MV6 - Automatic
Old: Omega - 1995 - MV6 - Manual

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2015, 14:48:26 »

Old Steinmetz one, isn't it? About the only aftermarket styling bit for an Omega I like, to be honest. (not including Irmscher as 'aftermarket' in this instance)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

2boxerdogs

« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2015, 21:58:47 »

Certainly looks like this motor keeps you busy !!

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2015, 16:29:31 »

thanks for the comments... the spoilers are steinmetz imitation, but the front one is to far gone and will be replaced.

the last weeks i made some progress and changes in the plan.

first of was to remove the sound deadening remnants

next up was to weld some holes in the wheel arches and closed up the hole's for the heating and aircon
(here you can also see the a pillars stripped off all brackets)

and from the outside with the edges sealed with some sealant

in the wheel weld removed some excess metal to gat a few mm more clearance for the wheels, also removed some starting rust and gave it a coat of caprotech anti-rust/rust desolver....tomorrow i'll give it a coat a black stonechip by the same company
( not on the pic but seam welded the edge where i've cut the metal off)

also bought a coilover set, it is a custom made intrax set (not for this car, vw is the origin here  ::) )

reason i choose this is because a the rather beefy front struts  45mm to be exact 8)

after a few minor repairs i gave the engine room a layer of 2k primer and shortly after it 2 coats of white.. came out much better than needed/expected  :)
here you can also see the aircon holes closed-up

next was a bit unplanned.. but been given a new engine, so why not spoon it in?
old one out;

the new engine it now tear'd down and given a bit of paint, next up is build it up with some overhauled heads (also came with the package  :) )  and put it back in
its a 3.0xe

and a little project just for fun.. got a wrx hoodscoop laying around and could use some ventilation in the car, problem was that it was ridiculously high so cut it in 2   :P

to get this  ;D
need some more trimming but you gett the idea  ;)

« Last Edit: 12 October 2015, 16:36:27 by drakos »
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2015, 13:24:14 »

Hi!

I am keeping eye on this project, and it looks very good ATM. It could be a proper track car, as you are doing a detail job.

Do you plan to keep the interior naked (just roll cage, front seats)?
Dashboard -> will you use the factory one?
Battery -> I suggest you relocate it into trunk, or even on the place of rear seat
Fuel tank -> as it is just short of rear bumper, it's a nasty unsprung weight -> best to replace wiht trunk mounted fuel cell (positined above rear axle).

Also, as you stripped a lot of equipment, you have a lot of unused wire loom -> what are you planning to do with that?

Bojan

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2015, 16:18:08 »

thanks, it will be build as a fun tracktoy.. but in mind to make it a proper racecar in the near future with minimal changes.

interior will be completely naked, only a drivers seat,rollcage and a optional passengers seat. front doors will be covered with a thin sheet of aluminium and the trunk will be closed off the same way

dashboard is going back in for the moment, although totally gutted and as light as possible.
dash center and fan holes will be covered with a sheet of carbon to house the switches for the lightning and killswitch etc

loom is brought back to a bare minimum, more than 3 trasbags of weight removed there.. only the lightning and wipers are fully functional and off course the essentials for the engine
battery will be relocated to behind the passenger seat, 15ah must do the job to start it (i hope)

fuel tank stays there for now, as it is mounted to the body it isn't unsprung weight  ;)  center off gravity is nice and low over there, only a bit to far back, will fill it with racingfoam to keep it from running dry in the corners..
probably at a later stage it will be replaced by a cell above the axle indeed
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2015, 21:58:13 »

Good project, going well.

You will need to keep heater matrix, and fan in to clear windscreen if you have a wet day,unless you fit heated front screen,  Omega fuel tank has a built in swirl pot, (basic form). Will you be fitting a full multi-point cage, (triangulated).
Hoof'land storeman.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2015, 22:07:14 »

hi

going to fit a electric heater under the dash that blows through the original holes for the window. much lighter

cage will be something like this (probably without the extension to the front strutt)

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2015, 07:56:08 »

Few question, regarding the boot-lid and hood -> Are they too flexible now (as not having enought rigidity)? What did you use to remove the 'skeleton'? Angle grinder or something else? Also, did it leave any marks on the outside painting?

Have you sourced a electric heater? From what I've learned (as I plan to do this also), the ceramic heater core is the best (low el.consuption with satisfactory heating effect) - can ususaly get one from some better quality 12V dash heaters. IMO, best way is to mount them in place of original heater matrix. All air tunells scraped and their holes blocked off, except the windscreen ones.

Regarding the unsprung wieght - I used the wrong expression :-[ - what I ment is overhanging mass (this is the weight in front of front axle, and behind the rear axle - this weights have very negative effect on handling and cornering).

Are you keeping factory handbrake?

PS. do you inted to keep it road legal (MOT, registration)?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2015, 08:01:05 by Bojan »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 October 2015, 10:18:26 »

hi

going to fit a electric heater under the dash that blows through the original holes for the window. much lighter

cage will be something like this (probably without the extension to the front strutt)

If fitting a cage to that spec, be a bit daft not to fit strut mounts,.
Hoof'land storeman.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 October 2015, 19:51:55 »

If fitting a cage to that spec, be a bit daft not to fit strut mounts,.

don't see the point for the reinforcements to the front strut.. ever looked at the front structure of the omega? 3/4 layers off steel there.. except for rallying purpose it is more than adequate for the track.. only supplement at the front end will be a strutbar.(quite possibly triangulated if i got the room for it.

good to hear about the stock swirlpot, makes life a bit easier for now  :y

the bootlid is quite flappy when opened, but closed more than sturdy enough... especially if i keep it in place with 4 quick release pins
as for the hood.. wish i hadn't done that, it is way to flexible in the middle.. need to fix that with a stroke of aluminium tubing or something (maybe i'll weld in it a inverted hoodvent, will fix the strength also)

--way to do this is with a angle grinder with a 1mm disk and a sharpened puttyknife for the sealant. this way there is no harm to the outside, just keep the temperature to a minimum.. with a thicker disk it will get to hot and burn the paint

as for the heating, was thinking something like that also.. only mount it in under/in a (tube)blower direct to the window exits in the dash as i've no longer got the rest of the heater/housing/pipes
(something like this http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/oncirrus/3/image/product/product/0123456789/0123456789/coo_in-line_blower_fan_4.jpg)

the fuel tank is a compromise both ways.. low and to far back or to high but center... thing i'll make my choice after a few days of testing on the track  ;)

car is gonna be road legal except for the emisions (educated guess  ::)).. so with minimal changes it can pas it's mot.. but i've got a trailer so no need to pass it. (and save's a lot off money on taxes and insurance without mot )

haven.t thought of the handbrake yet.. will keep it for now i think. no weight to be saved there and no need for a uprated one ass i suck at drifting anyway  :P
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 October 2015, 18:00:12 »

small update, cleaned up the car.. quite a pretty looking car under the plastidip mess  8)

and with some new mesh in the bumper,spoiler lip, lights and a few bits in the engine room (ran out of mesh, gonna replace the bit in the grill to)

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2015, 17:01:45 »

The car looks great  :y.Please keeep us updated with pictures on the project.Well done !!  :D

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2015, 12:31:20 »

time for a update.

al lot of time gone in the engine and gearbox, so not a lot off pics.
but done some minor things to the body.

first things first, got tired of working on the ground, so bought a car lift  :)

here are the spot welded welded arches;

modified the coilovers to accept a stabilizer bar;

and fitted everything. the droplink are from a land rover  ;D

the camber adjustment is amazing with 1inch spacers for the wheels, from -1 degree to -5 degrees adjustable  8)

some modifications to the body..
front towstrap fitted;

release pins for the bonnet

also for the trunk

and release  springs to keep the trunk closed (locking mechanism is long gone)
the trunk is now a pick off, no hinges anymore (saving of around 3kg)

also bought a dtm spoiler;

the next couple of weeks will be reserved for hanging the engine back and rerouting the exhaust and stuff, so some big updates to come
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #27 on: 23 December 2015, 01:45:34 »

Nice project mate - keep the pics coming  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

chuftsmv6

• Intermediate Member
  • stoke on trent
    • omega mv6 2jz and audi s3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2016, 20:01:46 »

Wow I bet that's a lot lighter now lol
That will go like a rocket  ;D
What do you reckon it weighs now then mate  :)

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 January 2016, 17:54:40 »

hoping for 1100/1200 kg with a full rollcage.. no idea if i'm being to optimistic    ;)

a few small update's;

refurbish t a set of brakes.. for now with the original pads. gonna replace them for high performance soon.
gave them a clean with a wirebrush
before and after;

and a bit of red brakepaint i got left from a previous project;

derusted and painted the suspension arms and uprights and replaced the hub (thread was damaged)

gonna remake the metal plates behind the disk to accept a 3inch cooling/ducts hoses, brake lines will be replaced for breaded.

got a new clutch setup to replace the dualmass..
flywheel and presureplate from a early c20xe,disk from a c20let,
also some new oem bolts for the flywheel and pressureplate. and new oil seals for the gearbox.

a spacer for the bearing is being made, also the flywheel will be skimmed for a better hold. after that the engine can be placed back  ;D

tomorow i'm hoping to replace the rear shocks for my vw coilovers (fabricating work required), update will follow tommorow evening i hope  ;)
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 January 2016, 18:20:37 »

sorry, not the promised update, not enough time today to start with the coilover.

in the hour i've spend in the garage i took a angle grinder and removed al the mounting bolts for the heatshields (most where broken anyway and exhaust routing will be drastically different, more on that later  ;) )
after that took the wire brush on the grinder and removed all the rust from the bottom and cleaned up the driveshaft

al the rust was superficial and nothing needs repairing  8) amazingly clean for a 94 opel/vauxhall  :o

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 January 2016, 20:33:21 »

gave the front half of the car a few layers of stonechip paint and sprayed the tunnel white just like the engine bay. this way it is easy to see if something leaks and where it is comming from  8)
next is to stonechip the rear and mask off the white to paint the overspray black again

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 January 2016, 11:36:00 »

Looks beautiful, shame to get it dirty  :)

Please let us know what stonechip paint you use. I've used some stuff (tetrasyl, if I remember right) but I'd like to invest in some of the 'rubber' stuff that replicates the original underseal better, but yet to make a purchase. .

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 January 2016, 19:26:10 »

Keep up the good work, I do like to follow a project
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 January 2016, 17:27:47 »

thanks,

the stonechip is nothing special, just cheap motip/duplicolor overpaintable stonechip.. wouldn't recommend it for normal use except for trailing arms and stuff..
in my case it is just to give it a uniform color, cover the bare metal from the rust removal and a little bit of protection without being sticky (and heavy) like real undercoat.

on my other cars i use caprotec rx5 and rx10.. eats rust (rx5) and the second layer is real undercoat (rx10) it is available in all colors and gives a nice silk gloss finish and feels a bit like rubber. not a mark or rust on my car after 10 years of abuse and rain  8)
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #35 on: 25 January 2016, 12:08:54 »

Calibra town!  ;D

http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 January 2016, 14:40:14 »

That is actually only half the calibra collection  :P
Got myself a 100% stock 8v, a v6 4x4 show/track car and a rear half that funtions as a event trailer  8)
The one in front of the omega is from a mate. In the progress of being converted to rwd.
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 January 2016, 15:01:54 »

Thanks for the info  :y

RWD calibra? Great idea! Would you be using the 4wd rear axles, or is that a surprise for another day? Very interested to hear how you'll be doing it  :)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #38 on: 25 January 2016, 17:26:07 »

Thanks for the info  :y

RWD calibra? Great idea! Would you be using the 4wd rear axles, or is that a surprise for another day? Very interested to hear how you'll be doing it  :)

A fellow Cavalier Turbo owner has achieved the same using Sapphire Cosworth running gear.

http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 January 2016, 17:47:33 »

Simple way would be to use a omega 3000 diff and 2.4 rear axles..plug and play
 but we could not find any so stripped down a omega b and using that rear diff,shortened drifeshaft and axles.. gearbox also omega b.. engine is a saab turbo with a big garret with fmic
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 January 2016, 11:58:07 »

Fascinating! Hearing that makes me wonder why didn't they make the Calibra rwd all along? I'm sure that would alter the handling characteristics nothing put positively. It never quite got rid of its Cavalier underpinnings, maybe the dashboard was too obvious for many people, kind of 'sheep in wolf's clothing' thing. Which is a shame, because I never thought so and always thought 'oh it#s a cav underneath...and? what's wrong with that? Cav Mk IIIs were brilliant cars!' but certainly with another few quid spent the if all Calibras were rwd maybe people would have felt they were buying a 'very cheap baby 3 dr Senator', as opposed to an 'expensive 3 dr cavalier'

Also Frod running gear in a Vauxhall is just wrong, sorry!!  :D But a beautiful pic, and lots of effort and skill there.  :y

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 February 2016, 19:40:53 »

quite a lot done the last weeks.

first was to customize the wiring loom, no pics when finished but believe me, it is light  ;)
lost everything that wasn't necessary, the entire loom now fits in a grocery bag

the list what remained is shorter.

-all light stil work, but ditched the broken light module, and all other wiring.. all that remains are a few direct wires for the new switches in the center ( fuses gonna move to the center console to).
-merged the left and right light units, so no more separate wires or fuses.(for example, only one wire to the 4 rear lights and licence plate, one wire for the left and right main beam.. etc)
-blinker and hazard lights all still work
-wipers and window washer still work except the interval, also removed the washer level warning
-dash still works, only removed the wires and bulbs that weren't used anymore
-no more ignition barrel, everything is nog a switched positive ( killswitch is the new key  8) )
-immobilizer is still there, glued the chip to the ring
-positive feed wire moved to the inside of the car
- only one off the 2 horns remained

and that is literally all that remained  8) 
lost the servotronic, all fan and cooling wires/relays ( only a positive feed for the new fan relay remained).. abs, airco,tc and off course everting that was for the inside..
because i lost the abs, i also lost the speed signal. acquired a vss relay from a corsa to get a speed signal direct from one abs sensor. and gonna build a signal converter to deal with the difference in abs teeth and for fine tuning the speedo.

enough text and time for pics,
got a spacer for the gearbox made to account for the loss of the dual mass flywheel;

after that everything came together without any problems and a few hours later the engine was in  8)

and the dash in for now, ordered some carbon plates to fill the gaps and gonna use the center hole for the new switches,killswitch,start button and a few fuses

and cleaned up the rear diff and removed the abs rings

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 February 2016, 09:57:49 »

Cannot wait to see what this weighs with all the modern 'junk' (subjective) removed. Very nice idea about minimising the loom, I wouldn't have thought about that. Purely on an economy point of view, what would happen if you took maybe 200kg off the weigh of an Omega, that's before any actual performance mods occur. Lotus 'added lightness' methodology.

Keep it coming, fantastic project!  :)

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 04 February 2016, 06:28:11 »

Great stuff here, it's really rare to see fully and properly stripped omega.
Do you perhaps know how much discarded loom weigh?
Also, I can imagine how much space is gained in small spaces (like behind the dash) now when there is no thick loom branches.

Diff -  is it a standard, open type or LSD?

PS. A little OT – that off-road van (mitsubishi?) on several images looks very interesting (with A/T tyres, sand channels, snorkel...).

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04 February 2016, 11:37:56 »

no idea how much weight is lost at the loom.. but it is a lot.. 3 trashbags of wiring gone and that is not including the weight of all te relays, sensors, brackets, switches etc.. think that 30kg is a minimal guess  8) and then another 30kg from control units,horn,blowers etc.
will do a weighting soon when it is complete and running but before the cage goes in

diff is stock for now, looking for a lsd but that is not on top of my priority list now..
fuelbag,swirlpot, big brakes etc are more important as upgrades after the initial build to get it driveable

the mitsubishi is a great car.. it is a l200 (i think?) 4x4 "oem".. lifted,dual fueltank, snorkel etc.. inside is more like a campervan.. is from a mate of mine that uses it properly in the sahara and all kind of rugged places.. at the moment it is on transport to south amerika for a vacation/expedition  8)
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 06 June 2017, 07:52:51 »

Updates? :)

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 July 2017, 21:22:54 »

sorry for the lack off update's and i got some bad news regarding to this build and some good news for the future.

the car was about a day away from running and driving when my health let me down even further (bad case off chronic pain syndrome that went even more balistic on my nerves than it allready did )
so after a few months of mental suffering because i probably could never drive the car for what it was intended for...i let some friends tear out the motor and bring the shell to the junkyard.

regret that decision ever since, but seemed like the best option at the time.
and the fact is i still could not drive the car if i had let it sit around.

now the good news, the idea off the raw power from the v6 and rear wheel drive of the omega kept going to my mind
a frontera is a nice drive and quite comfy but is the most boring car i've ever owned (except from a corsa that i had 2 day before i trashed the engine :P )

so i bought a new one  8)
it is a full option 2.5 manual in black this time.

the plan is to make it a gt / pro-touring build for every day use.
so keep the bare essentials, update the running gear and drop in the prepped 3.0 v6 from the tracktoy, loose as much weight as possible.

so basicly start over and build the tracktoy again  ;) with the exception of doorpanels,working front windows and a bit more ride height and comfort.

will make some pictures tomorrow when i get the car delivered and start a new topic to keep you all informed off the progress.

« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 21:24:31 by drakos »
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 July 2017, 12:00:25 »

Well that isn't nice at all... hope you will be okay for now on!

I think is safe to say that we all look forward to see your project coming on! :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.