Author Topic: Manx TT  (Read 994 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Manx TT
« on: 07 June 2013, 22:53:14 »

11 spectators hurt in Senior's race. http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/motorcycling/north-west-200/tt-2013-eleven-people-hurt-in-crash-1-5172931 Apparently he was doing 170+mph and walked away!

I hope it never happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was pressure put on organisers to stop the Manx TT. Already there's been one death ... a Japanese lad

Have a look at Wikipedia. The first year it was run 1907, the average race speed of the winner, on a Matchless, was 38.21mph. The average speed now for the fastest lap (one lap is 37 3/4 miles is 131.671 mph  :o :o :o :o

I think it'd take me all afternoon to do a lap  ;D ;D ;D

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
Re: Manx TT
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2013, 22:56:44 »

luckily nobody was seriously hurt i hope they dont ban it if they did they would have to ban moto gp because more have been killed dolng that over the last few years still very sad though :'( :'( :'(
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2013, 23:09:42 »

Who would ban it ? The Manx govt ? Doubtful as its the biggest source of income for the island.
No reason a MotoGP ban would follow.A very different discipline altogether (and a global sport which would require a global ban by all govts.
Also,iirc only one fatality in Motogp in the last decade ? Figures for the TT are much higher,unfortunately. And figures for road racing in Ireland are probably considerably higher again,as theres much more racing there in a given year than there is on the I.O.M.

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2013, 23:44:45 »

Said it before, and I'm going to say it again. They need to build the most stonking short, or shorter, track on the island, and close the TT course for good. Much as I love bikes, and the TT spirit. It just doesn't justify the price.

How the IOM govt can live with themselves is beyond me. Lives for money.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND...

these guys love what they do, they are the ones competing, or spectating, or marshalling etc. they know the risks, nobody is making them take part. They do it because of the danger, not in spite of, and all that stuff.

Also, racing exists to keep it off the public roads. That's the decider IMO. Its thier choice, nobody else's.

Tbh I'm always surprised there aren't alot more incidents on the island. The trust everyone has in each other not to mess up, from riders not binning it into the crowds, or spectators not falling off grassy banks onto the track. Remember one year somebody's crash helmet rolled into the track...? Kids and dogs running round the place.

The spectacle is like no other though. Incredible speeds and control. Or not in the case of M Dunlop. Bit too far over the ragged edge IMO. But then, as Guy Martin said, he's still here so who can argue.

The IOM governor won't stop the event, but I think, on balance, he probably should tbh. Or at least change the course, just the mountain section or sumat. Use a section of track that's not lined with stone walls would be a start, surely...? ( there would be uproar from the biking community at the slightest hint of change, no matter what )

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2013, 23:50:19 »

To add, I think the IOM should look to get the event, or an event that's acceptable to the FIA/FIM, firmly back on the motorcycling INTERNATIONAL calendar. There is no way that will happen in its current form.

But if the event is to survive long term, they need to come up with something more acceptable.

...somehow.  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2013, 08:06:42 »

Been to it a few times, as luckily FatherT has had a project over there for years, so free accommodation, during practice week anyway.

As Albs said above, who would ban it? The IOM gov love it, huge income is generated from it, the EU cannot stick their nose in, they have no speed limits outside towns, fantastic place.

Oh flat rate tax rate too no matter what you earn, also a cap, once you reached the limit yo pay no more.

Is also more popular than ever now, so I don't see the need to change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-18379312

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2013, 08:45:33 »

Check out the berk on the GS  ::) - Just after Creg-ny-baa, heading down to Brandish Corner.

This made it into BBC Top Gear Mag that month  8)

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2013, 10:11:39 »

Been to it a few times, as luckily FatherT has had a project over there for years, so free accommodation, during practice week anyway.

As Albs said above, who would ban it? The IOM gov love it, huge income is generated from it, the EU cannot stick their nose in, they have no speed limits outside towns, fantastic place.

Oh flat rate tax rate too no matter what you earn, also a cap, once you reached the limit yo pay no more.

Is also more popular than ever now, so I don't see the need to change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-18379312

The numbers in that link wouldn't have anything to do with the weather forecast by any chance...?

Seem to remember figures considerably more in 94 whin I went. Christ that's a long time ago.  ;D

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2013, 12:37:12 »

Check out the berk on the GS  ::) - Just after Creg-ny-baa, heading down to Brandish Corner.

All these people on sports bikes will have bad backs eventually , i mean see how comfy they look  ::) ;D  :(Thats bloke on the GS has the right idea  :P

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2013, 12:38:39 »

All these people on sports bikes will have bad backs eventually , i mean see how comfy they look  ::) ;D  :(Thats bloke on the GS has the right idea  :P

Back is straight for me on the GS, as I've shown here, 400+ miles in a day? Easy!  8)

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2013, 12:46:45 »

Yes thats what i mean , all the sports bikes ive had you can do no more than 50 mile without your ass goin numb and shoulders and wrists aching  :( Upright riding stylee is better as long as you stick to speed limits or you need arms like Arnie  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2013, 13:40:19 »

Yes thats what i mean , all the sports bikes ive had you can do no more than 50 mile without your ass goin numb and shoulders and wrists aching  :( Upright riding stylee is better as long as you stick to speed limits or you need arms like Arnie  ;D

They are not designed for the elderly, such as yourself, Mr EMD. ::) ::) ::) ;)

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2013, 21:42:07 »

They are not designed for the elderly, such as yourself, Mr EMD. ::) ::) ::) ;)

Seen a sidecar outfit today down the supermarket car park , old fella loading his shopping in the sidecar .. lovely triumph bonnie  8)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2013, 00:46:08 »

There is quite an art to riding them as well, as I found out when I tried a friends BSA combo in my youth. Just as well the left turn at speed was onto a wide hanger apron.  :-[
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.