Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tom Kerridge's Pubs!  (Read 1579 times)

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
Tom Kerridge's Pubs!
« on: 14 November 2020, 18:16:28 »

Hiya from stranded Mallorca! I have been here since March! Anyhoo, I have been watching this guy tonight on BBC2 and he is trying to save British pubs. What I can gather is that he is a 'celeb' chef and does not even drink ffs. I know he owns a lot of pubs. What I can deduce is that all the pubs that he visits he is trying to change into those ghastly 'gastro joints' rather than I suspect us 'Oofers' who enjoy a proper boozer. Just saying! Covid must be catching up with me! P.S. hope to be back to the UK in mid-December before BREXIT takes hold.  :-\ :-\ P.P.S. pubs here are open as normal but have to wear masks at all times even in the street.
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Kerridge's Pubs!
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2020, 18:30:15 »

Difficult to drink a pint wearing a mask I imagine  ::)
I quite like a bit of a meal down the pub, or did before Covid came along  :(
gone are the days of 10 pints of beater plus shots on an empty stomach after work  :-X
some pubs probably do need some advice about cooking food though .....
 rather than just microwaving something or dunking stuff in a deep fat fryer for way too long  :-X
I hope you return to the UK safe and sound  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2020, 19:01:14 »

I think the days when pubs are a viable business proposition as "boozers" alone are well and truly over, and COVID will only hasten their demise.

Better get used to the remaining ones primarily being restaurants, I think.

I recall from reading his book that he used to drink in the days when he was 30+ stone but got a bit of a shot across his bows on the health front. Fair play to him, he grasped that nettle, drink was one of the things he had to sacrifice and he looks a lot better for it these days. As TV chefs go he strikes me as a no BS kind of guy who has got where he has primarily through hard graft so fair play to him.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2020, 19:11:41 »

It is a real shame what's happening to our pubs , not keen on fussy "gastro" type food best pub meal I've ever had was  in the Lake District last year home made steak and kidney pud with a mountain of chips + a huge portion of onion rings all for £9.00.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2020, 19:31:15 »

For the local (ex) ABS meets, we've really struggled to find a pub to meet.  Round here, you can't find a non gastro, and sometimes you just want an honest pub grub meal, not a £15 pomegranate soup, followed by a £30 vegan pasta bake, and a £15 pudding with creme anglaise.

We'd happily go out weekly a blow £50-60 for a meal for 2 with a couple of drinks, rather than a monthly £150 bill for a menu I don't understand and need a translator.  A couple of years back, Gixer and I took the women out to a nearby pub, and apparently the bill was nearly £300.  Yeah, it was pretty decent, but not £300 decent. I was only a pub.

Good honest food, thats what's needed.  But all these new wave landlords want to be pretend chefs. Hence, round here, they are mostly empty and the curry houses are packed.

Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2020, 20:31:48 »

Aren’ t folk getting used to supermarket delivery including booze at third. - fifth the price of a pint?

Yet another nail in the traditional pub.

In my dads village there are four pubs. Three empty , up for new tenants. “Great opportunity” no chance. Quite a concern.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2020, 21:27:09 »

I would quite happily watch our local burn to the ground and it's "customers" with it , normally Friday night is fight night but at least it's handy for some drugs if you want some , I pity anyone living near it at closing time , the charming ye olde tradition of p*ssing in the road on the way home is alive and well , the Locals wouldn't miss the sh8thole  >:(

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2020, 21:27:33 »

Aren’ t folk getting used to supermarket delivery including booze at third. - fifth the price of a pint?

Yet another nail in the traditional pub.

In my dads village there are four pubs. Three empty , up for new tenants. “Great opportunity” no chance. Quite a concern.

Exactly what I was saying to the missus this morning when our beer & cider arrived at a quarter of pub prices.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2020, 21:37:48 »

When I go to the pub for a drink, its not for a drink, its for the social element.

Thus drink cost doesn't come into it.  In fact, me and me bestie always used to use the most expensive pub in town in order to avoid the great unwashed.  If we wanted to watch hormonal teenagers scrapping like girls, we'd go to the cheap kids pub.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2020, 22:04:22 »

We just have friends over now ( when allowed) had some great days back in the summer our nicest pub is 10 miles away and that is up for sale now, so looks like that's how we will continue now on.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2020, 22:09:28 »

It is a real shame what's happening to our pubs , not keen on fussy "gastro" type food best pub meal I've ever had was  in the Lake District last year home made steak and kidney pud with a mountain of chips + a huge portion of onion rings all for £9.00.
Wot, no gravy! :o

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2020, 22:34:32 »

Wot, no gravy! :o

Of course in a silver gravy boat, very posh 😊

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2020, 07:55:28 »

I am Secretary of a small Social club which has been going for 150 years and will keep going for the foreseeable future.
It was the working mens club for the Foundry / engineering works I worked in from 79 until it closed in 88.
The building was given to the members at that point and has managed to keep going ever since. It almost closed about 10 years ago, but everyone involved agreed to run it on a completely voluntary basis to allow it to continue.
Its so old fashioned and basic its becoming fashionable. ;D When we shut for lockdown in March, membership numbers had dropped to 44.
When we reopened in August we actually made a bit of an event out of it which brought a few curious newcomers in, who then told their mates and within a month Membership had grown to over 60.
The pandemic has had no negative effects on us really as our only fixed outgoings are phone / electricity / gas. Which arent being used when its closed, so the bills are minimal.
In fact the lockdown was great for us as we got the standard £10,000 business grant which doubled our balance in the bank.
We are now using it to renovate the exterior of the building, which is grade 2 listed.
When lockdown 2 started recently we sold all the beer at half price to get rid of it, which was  £1.40 a pint.
Its not all doom and gloom.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2020, 09:10:57 »

We have a Services club in town which used to be very good , but about three years ago a few idiots joined & unfortunately brought the atmosphere down to their level , I walked out and have never been back.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2020, 11:45:45 »

We have a Services club in town which used to be very good , but about three years ago a few idiots joined & unfortunately brought the atmosphere down to their level , I walked out and have never been back.
That's the problem, some clubs can be very "clicky," which ruins the atmosphere very quickly. That tends to put newcomers off. Hope yours keep going through this Froggie. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.