Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto / rain sensing wipers - worth retro-fitting?  (Read 17072 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Auto / rain sensing wipers - worth retro-fitting?
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2015, 20:01:10 »

I have the old fashioned mk1 eyeball fitted
1 its raining, mmm should I turn the wipers on
2 yes. ;D

I always said that when I had the same. But when you get a car with auto wipers that work, you miss them when you drive A N Other car without ..... a bit like central locking, auto dim mirrors, electric windows etc etc  :y
My auto wipe does work but isn't sensitive enough, most noticeable in poor light and fine mist/drizzle (conditions where an intermittent wipe would be ideal).

How did you find your Omega auto-wipe? I am guessing that the R320 has a system that works :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2015, 20:49:31 »

2 yes. ;D

I always said that when I had the same. But when you get a car with auto wipers that work, you miss them when you drive A N Other car without ..... a bit like central locking, auto dim mirrors, electric windows etc etc  :y
My auto wipe does work but isn't sensitive enough, most noticeable in poor light and fine mist/drizzle (conditions where an intermittent wipe would be ideal).

How did you find your Omega auto-wipe? I am guessing that the R320 has a system that works :-\

My Omega had the same as Big Grifin's .... it rained ...... I switched the wipers on ..... it stopped ..... I turned them off again  ;) ;)

Delroy47

• Intermediate Member
  • Luton
    • 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2015, 07:18:32 »

2 yes. ;D

My Omega had the same as Big Grifin's .... it rained ...... I switched the wipers on ..... it stopped ..... I turned them off again  ;) ;)

Can be a bit hit and miss   >:(

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2015, 09:03:13 »

For me the auto wipers sounds a bit like having an 'auto-brake' system - you'd never implement such a thing without leaving a brake pedal there, in case of the need to brake. Same as with the wipers, shame there isn't the intermittent function left in place for times when the auto function doesn't quite get it right. But that's splitting hairs and I'm still interested in this  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

The Sheriff

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2015, 09:54:49 »

Auto wipers are a distraction and a nuisance. They never work the way you want them to.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2015, 09:56:38 »

For me the auto wipers sounds a bit like having an 'auto-brake' system - you'd never implement such a thing without leaving a brake pedal there, in case of the need to brake. Same as with the wipers, shame there isn't the intermittent function left in place for times when the auto function doesn't quite get it right. But that's splitting hairs and I'm still interested in this  :)

Surely the 'flick wipe' function is still there  ???

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2015, 10:51:28 »

As I understand it, yes - but you lose the little rotating wheel to set the seconds delay bit.

I know I'm drivign a car with brakes that automatically don't lock, driven wheels that automatically don't wheelspin, and engine with an automatic choke, automatic timing, automatic ignition, and electrically automated windows, a climate control that's automatic, so for me to be sceptical about automatic wipers seems a bit daft of me, really.

I suppose converting a car from auto wipers back to 'standard' would be a simple case of the relay and stalk, yes? Just leave the sensor etc in place should you ever wish to revert back to auto wipers again?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2015, 14:34:02 »

As I understand it, yes - but you lose the little rotating wheel to set the seconds delay bit.

I know I'm drivign a car with brakes that automatically don't lock, driven wheels that automatically don't wheelspin, and engine with an automatic choke, automatic timing, automatic ignition, and electrically automated windows, a climate control that's automatic, so for me to be sceptical about automatic wipers seems a bit daft of me, really.

I suppose converting a car from auto wipers back to 'standard' would be a simple case of the relay and stalk, yes? Just leave the sensor etc in place should you ever wish to revert back to auto wipers again?
Facelift cars don't have this function, which is why the auto wipers were seen by GM as an improvement :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2015, 15:18:22 »

Facelift cars don't have this function, which is why the auto wipers were seen by GM as an improvement :y

Mine do....
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2015, 15:23:41 »

None of my 3.2s do/did :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2015, 18:51:49 »

Not got a good word to say about the autowipers fitted to late Elites. The adjustable intermittent was far more useful.
Grumpy old man

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2015, 19:59:58 »

None of my 3.2s do/did :-\

Just popped outside to look at the 3 I have here:

2.2 2001 CDX yes
2.5 2000 CD yes
2.2 2003 CD no

Dropped on later cars?
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2015, 20:05:31 »

No unfortunately. :(

You have to switch off then on again (and savour the 'quality' of the bendy plastic indicator stalk ::))
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2015, 20:15:43 »

No unfortunately. :(

You have to switch off then on again (and savour the 'quality' of the bendy plastic indicator stalk ::))
Both mine (one with manual variable intermittent, and one with rain sensing) allow a flick wipe
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2015, 20:27:36 »

As rains sensing wipers go, omega ones are very good ime.

But those that don't like them, don't like rain sensing wipers. And that's that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.