Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Knackered Rood Aerial rubber  (Read 2071 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Advice on Knackered Rood Aerial rubber
« on: 17 June 2015, 13:30:57 »

So, I noticed today that the rubber seal round my roof aerial has split, probably due to the recent warmth and the rubber on the antenna has started to perish. Trouble is I can't seem to find a replacement rubber seal online and I don't want to wait until theres a nice damp patch on my headlining (or head come to that!) before I get it sorted. The aerial I have is one of those combo ones I think. My car doesn't (and never has had) nav, but I think it did have a phone kit in it at some time...

Does anyone know if these rubber seals are sold individually?

Also, I only have FM radio in the car now, so an aftermarket replacement could be an option but there are 2 issues with this. Firstly I live in a low signal area so I don't want anything that isn't at least as good as the original. Second, I had a look at this when swapping the HU but found the plug was a non-standard "stepped" plug similar to the one below, although mine had more than one cable going to it  :-\.

Is it possible to but adapters for these? I don't even know what the blasted plug is called so can't google it ;). Also, are the "pins" for this plug in the same places on all cars... ie, could I buy a Vectra C aerial with that plug on and connect it up or would I be trying to connect my HU's FM aerial to the antenna's GPS aerial? Finally, are these aerials amplified and if not would an amp'd aftermarket aerial be the best option (presumably involves running new cable so not totally keen on that option!).

Any help greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: 17 June 2015, 13:34:00 by jimmy944 »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Knackered Rood Aerial rubber
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2015, 13:46:41 »

Check out a company called Car Masts UK on EBay, they have the smaller radio only rubber for less than a fiver.

If that doesn't work then you can easily make a workable gasket with a sharp Stanley knife and some thin rubber sheet. An old mudflap or rubber belt for example.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2015, 13:54:31 »

Top idea that man!

Don't know why I didn't think of cutting my own - I make most other things!

Quick search on the bay and got some 3mm rubber sheet coming my way, £1.50 delivered!

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2015, 15:55:28 »

The aerial base won't leak as it has a double seal... there's an O. Ring where it bolts through the roof :y

A bead of sikaflex is as effective as anything else if the cosmetics bothers you :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2015, 21:49:10 »

The amp is built into the base, and the common fault is the soldered connection from the pcb to the screw inside were the whip goes corrode, and eventually radio signals disappear.,think that blue connecter is called an FME type connection, that base is used on psa cars and early minis,and 180 mercs
Hoof'land storeman.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2015, 22:34:21 »

If you only want to seal against water ingress, try "Captain Tolly's Creeping Crack Cure"!
A long-winded name for something that I've used in my caravan to good effect and dries to invisible - and works!

Ron.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2015, 08:36:41 »

That sounds like something the victorians would purchase from a back-street shop  :o

I'll look into it, I think I'm going to take it off the roof, make sure the connection inside is still good, replace the antenna and cut a new rubber seal from 3mm sheet rubber. Should cost no more than £5-6, should look neat and (most importantly) should get me out of an evening of DIY!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2015, 12:34:25 »

You made my sides ache with laughter, Jimmy - I never thought of that connotation, and I do have a dirty enough mind!  ;D  ;D  ;D
A little additional information about Captain Tolly; I used it on a crack in my mixer tap in my caravan which was leaking quite badly and once the stuff had dried, leak fixed...

Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.