Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: '03 FL steering wheel control lighting  (Read 5183 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: '03 FL steering wheel control lighting
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2015, 16:20:42 »

Worse case is smoke. And you haven't lived until you've properly tuned something to channel smoke, and shat your pants in the process ;D

Let me see. Bit of swarf in the tuning capacitor of the anode circuit in a big valve transmitter was a good one. Couple of kV DC got shorted out as I was in there tuning it up with a screwdriver. :o

Oh, or the electrolytic cap that burst while I had my mate's guitar amplifier in bits on my lap. Felt it just graze my forehead on the way up. Learned to connect them the right way round after that.  ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

powerslinky

« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2015, 17:12:58 »

You lot  trying to frighten me . . .  was gonna attempt this  . . . think I  still will . .  .

it's only an old omega. . . & . . . fire station is quite local ::) ::) ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2015, 17:21:23 »

Worse case is smoke. And you haven't lived until you've properly tuned something to channel smoke, and shat your pants in the process ;D

Let me see. Bit of swarf in the tuning capacitor of the anode circuit in a big valve transmitter was a good one. Couple of kV DC got shorted out as I was in there tuning it up with a screwdriver. :o

Oh, or the electrolytic cap that burst while I had my mate's guitar amplifier in bits on my lap. Felt it just graze my forehead on the way up. Learned to connect them the right way round after that.  ::)
I was doing some serious smoothing on a home made battery charger back in my RC days.  Several massive electrolytics in parallel.  Inevitably, one day they were connected round the wrong way. Foil and dust took ages to settle, and I had to have it all hovered up before the folks got home ;D

Or for fun, a mate and I realised you could get quite accurate with shooting the top off Watford Electronics LEDs with 90v, reverse connected.  When we ran out, we discovered the Maplins ones just glowed briefly, then just smoked until the legs blew like a fuse.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2015, 17:22:00 »

You lot  trying to frighten me . . .  was gonna attempt this  . . . think I  still will . .  .

it's only an old omega. . . & . . . fire station is quite local ::) ::) ::)
Where's your sense of adventure.  To quote Clarkson, "what could possibly go wrong?"
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2015, 17:28:32 »

I would cut the RdWh wire on the car loom where it connects to the radio plug and attach it to the Rd wire next to it :y

Simply bridging the two may well release smoke...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2015, 17:37:59 »

Simply bridging the two may well will release (lots of) smoke...
fixed
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2015, 17:47:36 »

Simply bridging the two may well will release (lots of) smoke...
fixed
;D

powerslinky

« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2015, 19:10:30 »

I would cut the RdWh wire on the car loom where it connects to the radio plug and attach it to the Rd wire next to it :y

Simply bridging the two may well release smoke...

Need some guidance here Al  . . . .So  cut the RdWh wire where it connects to the radio plug & then connect the loom side of this to the Red wire next to it ? :-\

or is it ?  cut the RdWh wire where it connects to the radio plug & then connect  the plug side of this to the Red wire next to it , leaving the the RdWh from the loom taped up & going nowhere

Another way to explain my question is ; when RdWh wire is cut which end (loom or plug) is joined to the Red next to it .

sorry it's probably glaringly obvious to you  . . .  but not me  :-[ :-[ :-[

I hate electrics ::) ::) ::)      hoping you can understand this  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 20 February 2015, 19:12:30 by Essex Big Al »

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2015, 19:15:51 »

Cut it right at the plug. This dead end will then be safe. Then attach the tail (or loom side) of the cut wire to the red wire next to it... pin 8 on the car loom (see pic of plug).  To test, insert it and switch ignition on... wheel lights should then illuminate :y

If all good, make it a more permanent connection, and bish bash bosh :y

If it's easier, you could make the change at the Sony side of the loom... if you can bare to wait until Wycombe, I will gladly help with it :y
« Last Edit: 20 February 2015, 19:20:41 by Taxi Al »

powerslinky

« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2015, 19:20:39 »

Cut it right at the plug. This dead end will then be safe. Then attach the tail (or loom side) of the cut wire to the red wire next to it... pin 8 on the car loom (see pic of plug).  To test, insert it and switch ignition on... wheel lights should then illuminate :y

Right got it  . . . . bish bash bosh  :y :y :y :y      you know how I work then  ;D ;D ;D ;D     Thanks . . . doing it tomorrow ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2015, 19:21:13 »

Right got it  . . . . bish bash bosh  :y :y :y :y      you know how I work then  ;D ;D ;D ;D     Thanks . . . doing it tomorrow ;)
Have edited my last :y

powerslinky

« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2015, 19:27:29 »

If it's easier, you could make the change at the Sony side of the loom... if you can bare to wait until Wycombe, I will gladly help with it :y

Sounds like the best idea me thinks   . . . cheers Al ;) ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2015, 19:29:29 »

Sounds like the best idea me thinks   . . . cheers Al ;) ;)
No worries  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2015, 10:20:02 »

Wooooowwww, hang on a sec!

The Sony HU will have a remote power on. The issue is with the adapter. We need to work around the adapter before we go cutting car looms!
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2015, 10:40:35 »

Wooooowwww, hang on a sec!

The Sony HU will have a remote power on. The issue is with the adapter. We need to work around the adapter before we go cutting car looms!
Hence my suggestion of waiting to see it in the flesh rather than attacking the car :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.