Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: battery dead again / air con / v hot weather  (Read 1592 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
battery dead again / air con / v hot weather
« on: 03 July 2009, 12:20:57 »

Well it is that time of year again and just for a change the battery on the Omega has died. All cells have the right amount of electrolite. I have had the charging checked every time the battery has failed which has been every two years and two weeks (just outside guarantee in other words) Problem is in all this heat (38 deg C) and short journeys at low speed, lots of tick over at lights and air con on full.

can't jump start it as its an auto. So will wait for a passing vehicle or borrow a battery pack from a neighbour. Fortunately it is at home this time.

Do Omegas in hot climes have  a different system from UK cars like mine? Beefier alternator, beefier battery perhaps? calling CEM or Omegadoha!! Anything I can do like the equivalent in olden days of increasing the tickover?

El varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: battery dead again / air con / v hot weather
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2009, 01:15:00 »

why cant you jump start an auto?
if its in neutral i wouldnt have ythought it would make any difference

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2009, 05:23:47 »

think he means bump start.
Sounds like cheapo battery. Gooduns, or better anyway, are sealed for life, are they not?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2009, 06:49:03 »

You could try turning the fan speed down, whilst stationery, then switch back to auto when on the move.

This will save some drain on your battery.

I like red cars

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2009, 10:43:27 »

Sorry meant bump start. Had an ear cocked hoping a vehicle would drive by and give me a jump start.

I posted after this in General help and got some good suggestions and answers there thanks.

The battery is not a sealed one and I have been topping it up regularly especially the end cells. First none sealed for years. I didn't have a choice at the time. garages are so few and far apart here. But will be going back on Monday to see the fellow.

V
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2009, 14:26:53 »

I have been topping it up regularly especially the end cells.
V
Thats breaked mate. Money back imho. You dont really want another.

crazyjoetavola

« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2009, 15:55:10 »

Well it is that time of year again and just for a change the battery on the Omega has died. All cells have the right amount of electrolite. I have had the charging checked every time the battery has failed which has been every two years and two weeks (just outside guarantee in other words) Problem is in all this heat (38 deg C) and short journeys at low speed, lots of tick over at lights and air con on full.

can't jump start it as its an auto. So will wait for a passing vehicle or borrow a battery pack from a neighbour. Fortunately it is at home this time.

Do Omegas in hot climes have  a different system from UK cars like mine? Beefier alternator, beefier battery perhaps? calling CEM or Omegadoha!! Anything I can do like the equivalent in olden days of increasing the tickover?

El varche

........have the same trouble varche, although I'm not down where you are, I don't cover a lot of miles in the Omega  - 1.200 last year.

I used Kevin Woods excellent post on the charging system;

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225724099

...to check things over ( no problems found )

I put my difficulty down to the lack of miles done :y

The new battery is about 7 months old and is now beginning to struggle when starting the car :(
« Last Edit: 05 July 2009, 15:55:39 by crazyjoetavola »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2009, 16:10:46 »

Had a look for a multi meter off Ebay.co.uk (Pointless trying to find such a thing here - no "Halfords" etc).

Would this do the job  370145975642 ? Or is it over the top bearing in mind I have managed for 40 years with just a continuity tester!!!

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2009, 01:22:48 »

El varche

........have the same trouble varche, although I'm not down where you are, I don't cover a lot of miles in the Omega  - 1.200 last year.

I used Kevin Woods excellent post on the charging system;

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225724099

...to check things over ( no problems found )

I put my difficulty down to the lack of miles done :y

The new battery is about 7 months old and is now beginning to struggle when starting the car :(

Trickel charger for you then if its standing for long periods and you have a drive way. Or if you park in the road remove the battery and leave it ticking away in a vented area, will have so reset windows and run roof each time you remove though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.