Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Series BMW ....not build the quality they were!  (Read 1703 times)

Taxi_Driver

3 Series BMW ....not build the quality they were!
« on: 26 July 2006, 20:19:15 »

I was at my local 'back street' mechanics place today...owner showed me a bmw 3 series that he had on the lift.....
Apparently the owner/driver had done an emergency stop....then found he couldnt get any gear....recovered to garage.
Owner of garage showed me underneath that the engine and gearbox had moved nearly a foot forward of where it was suppose to be!!  :o he reckoned it was only a part of the subframe that stopped it from crushing the radiator....he pointed out every mounting point had been ripped off...also adding that he was surprised the engine and gearbox hadnt fallen off....at that point i decided maybe not good idea looking up at engine/geabox not being held in by anything  :o

It was 10years old....but vx's are better than that!!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Series BMW ....not build the quality they we
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2006, 20:53:16 »

I was at my local 'back street' mechanics place today...owner showed me a bmw 3 series that he had on the lift.....
Apparently the owner/driver had done an emergency stop....then found he couldnt get any gear....recovered to garage.
Owner of garage showed me underneath that the engine and gearbox had moved nearly a foot forward of where it was suppose to be!!  :o he reckoned it was only a part of the subframe that stopped it from crushing the radiator....he pointed out every mounting point had been ripped off...also adding that he was surprised the engine and gearbox hadnt fallen off....at that point i decided maybe not good idea looking up at engine/geabox not being held in by anything  :o

It was 10years old....but vx's are better than that!!

crikey!  :o

Bah new cars generally are not all what they are cracked up to be, saw an '04 Plate A4 Estate on the motorway today, its exhaust mouting in the middle must have broke, the centre section of the exhaust was scrapping the ground.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2006, 14:25:23 »

to be fair it is ten years old, who knows what its been through in that time. Through fields, thrashed by reps etc etc even BMW `s aint indestructable.

Still, makes you think.....could have been me
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2006, 18:17:07 »

Similar problems could happen on any 10yr old car, esp one that hasn't been looked after. And lets face it, BMW 3 series is a repmobile, hence probably had a hard life and no tlc for the first 3 years of its life...

My mum has a K reg 318, and it is solid as a rock, because she takes car of it.

BMW's are unreliable, with lots of warranty issues, and poor dealers, but if you look after any car, it will last...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.