Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: VW 2.0 TDI 170 Cambelt Q  (Read 2574 times)

05omegav6

VW 2.0 TDI 170 Cambelt Q
« on: 10 January 2013, 08:34:56 »

Chap at work has a Passat TDI 170 which has just snapped its cambelt... Is it a safe engine or is it scrap?

Only two and a quarter years since it was last changed, but he can't remember the mileage that he's done since ::) :-X

Was changed by VW with a two year guarantee ::) is trying a warranty claim, but suspect that the two getout clauses will be

1. The tensioners failed because they weren't changed because you didn't ask us to...

or

2. The water pump started leaking which caused the tensioner bearings to fail. We didn't change the pump because we weren't asked to...

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: VW 2.0 TDI 170 Cambelt Q
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2013, 09:04:44 »

Its not a safe engine Al,it will have done damage :'(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2013, 09:20:01 »

Ho diddly dum. Thanks Henry :y I won't tell him just incase he hangs himself :'(
You could have knocked him over with a feather when he got the news of when it was changed. He was adamant it was less than two years, although he's probably over on the mileage as well.

If you thought Omegas were a moneypit, that car has had a new primary fuel pump(replaced a momth after it started playing up), a tandem fuelpump(killed by compensating for the primary one), a new battery(killed by trying to start the car with two dead fuel pumps), and now the cambelt(which probably gave up from trying to start the car with two dead fuel pumps), and all since Christmas ::)

Time for a new owner perhaps :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2013, 09:20:51 »

Bad news, they often crimp the rings on those ones to. A real crap engine the 2.0 diesel, such a change from the pd which was very good.

I can't think of any safe engines these days, the closest you get are the likes of the fiat 1.9`s where they fracture the rockers avoiding valve damage (most of the time)

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2013, 10:11:48 »

The whole car is a shining example of all the worst VW parts in one place :-\

When he bought it I suggested he swapped it for an 1.8 Vectra estate, but he knew best...he didn't have it six months before all four injectors failed at £500 each. If I were a betting man, I would put a reasonable wedge on the DSG box being next :-X

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2013, 10:18:48 »

Jesus, DSG as well, one born every minute  ;D

Assuming this is a taxi?

Was picked up from Heathrow in a Skoda with a DSG just before Xmas, 70k on the clock and the changes were bloody rough.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2013, 10:29:30 »

Yup ::)

Owner is  the type of person who drives a VW because he couldn't afford anthey're not as pretenious as Audis, but still looks down on everyone else ::)

I occasionally feel an uncontrollable urge to remind him that I can re engine the Omega for the price of one VW injector and that one accident notwithstanding, my 240k Omega has only been recovered twice, both times due to clutch failure. Last count, his 'far superior' grotbox has been recovered at least 8 times, and it's two years newer ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2013, 10:32:42 »

Assuming this is a taxi?

Was picked up from Heathrow in a Skoda with a DSG just before Xmas, 70k on the clock and the changes were bloody rough.

Vauxhall's Easytronic doesn't appear any better. A mate bought an Easytronic Vectra a couple of years from a dealer to be used as a taxi. He'd not had it 5 mins when the dealer had it back for gearbox problems. They changed the 'box under warranty but it failed again recently ........ He's now got a Focus. The Vectra was 'the worse car' he'd ever owned.
eBay seems to have more than its fair share of Easytronic Corsas  ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2013, 10:37:53 »

Vectra Cs are a bit like that, the 16 valve diesels and the 2.2 petrols being particularly poor :-\

Alot of 1.6 diesel Focuses with around 100k and knackered engines on the 'bay too...

Whoever said modern cars are better needs reprogramming me thinks ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2013, 10:52:10 »

Assuming this is a taxi?

Vauxhall's Easytronic doesn't appear any better. A mate bought an Easytronic Vectra a couple of years from a dealer to be used as a taxi. He'd not had it 5 mins when the dealer had it back for gearbox problems. They changed the 'box under warranty but it failed again recently ........ He's now got a Focus. The Vectra was 'the worse car' he'd ever owned.
eBay seems to have more than its fair share of Easytronic Corsas  ::)

Easytronic is not sold as a premium solution and the only issue it had was the clutch actuator (easily fixed if your competent) module.

The DSG is sold as a sports premium gearbox, weighs a shit load and gobbles clutches and syncros. They do offer a proper auto at less cost, again, a fool and his money

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2013, 11:15:47 »

Easytronic is not sold as a premium solution and the only issue it had was the clutch actuator (easily fixed if your competent) module.
I've never looked into them properly. Sounds similar kind of set up to SWMBO's Smart.  :-\

The DSG is sold as a sports premium gearbox, weighs a shit load and gobbles clutches and syncros.
True! I wasn't particularly impressed by it when I drove the courtesy DSG PAssat that SWMBO was lent.

They do offer a proper auto at less cost, again, a fool and his money
That's a well kept secret!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2013, 11:17:02 »

The easytronic is a manual box with actuators same as a Smart

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2013, 11:21:33 »

The easytronic is a manual box with actuators same as a Smart

I'd realised ....... I was thinking more along the lines of doing something with the actuator if need be. By rights, a Smart's actuator/clutch needs setting up via Star (MB's Tech II) afterwards.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2013, 12:33:09 »

Sounds like it's time to grow a third leg if planning on owning a car after the Omega's generation is dead . ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2013, 12:56:20 »

Sounds like it's time to grow a third leg if planning on owning a car after the Omega's generation is dead . ;)

No chance!  ;)
Still plenty of proper autos around ...... they just have a lot more gears than the kind of boxes fitted to things like Omegas. My R Class is a torque converter type & has 7 ........ & I know the box isn't without its own problems.  ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2013, 13:17:13 »

Bad news, they often crimp the rings on those ones to. A real crap engine the 2.0 diesel, such a change from the pd which was very good.

I can't think of any safe engines these days, the closest you get are the likes of the fiat 1.9`s where they fracture the rockers avoiding valve damage (most of the time)

The older Pug 2.0hdi's will do that too if you're lucky :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.