Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 92   Go Down

Author Topic: Project anyone?  (Read 233581 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Project anyone?
« Reply #855 on: 17 November 2020, 23:42:01 »

2003 Holden HSV 3.8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313299437446

Headline says V8 but it'll be a V6. And hasn't run for some time...

.. and having driven a car with one of those V6s across Canada, I can confirm that they are second only to the PRV V6 (and maybe the Ford Essex / Cologne) when it comes to failing to pull the skin off a wet rice pudding yet guzzling loads of fuel and making lots of noise and vibration. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: 18 November 2020, 00:37:33 »

I've only ever experienced the V8 LS1 madness, which TBF also guzzles fuel and makes a fair bit of noise and vibration. I've not quite worked out the benefit of a 3.8 (ok supercharged) V6, but the Australian car industry was being heavily subsidised back then, so maybe there was something.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: 18 November 2020, 10:03:26 »

I noticed that earlier today. A very nice car.  :y
Im trying to stop myself from looking though. It wouldnt be sensible. Ive never been very good at being sensible though, so watch this space.  ::)

Do it Albs!  It a nice looking car, at a good price with 12 months MOT.  :y

What could possibly go wrong?  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: 18 November 2020, 10:38:04 »

Tbh, the amount of money Ive spent on the Omega tells me that I should keep it a while longer and get some use out if it for my money.
If I buy something else, the whole process of getting it just right will probably start all over again, and I will go bankrupt just before I retire.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: 19 November 2020, 00:42:55 »

Tbh, the amount of money Ive spent on the Omega tells me that I should keep it a while longer and get some use out if it for my money.
If I buy something else, the whole process of getting it just right will probably start all over again, and I will go bankrupt just before I retire.  ::) ;D

^ This. Before I settled on the S60, I pored over Saabs and various ones sorely tempted me. But there was always that nagging doubt over inheriting a list of issues that need sorted BUT wouldn't be bothered about if I already knew about them.

Although rust hasn't got it so far, something will kill the MV6 at some point - I'm kind of holding on to the fact that it's paid off since 2005 and has only occasionally required TLC/£ to make it start, drive and stop as designed. At 18yo, I've got no real complaints about it.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 20 November 2020, 15:57:47 »

^ This. Before I settled on the S60, I pored over Saabs and various ones sorely tempted me. But there was always that nagging doubt over inheriting a list of issues that need sorted BUT wouldn't be bothered about if I already knew about them.

Although rust hasn't got it so far, something will kill the MV6 at some point - I'm kind of holding on to the fact that it's paid off since 2005 and has only occasionally required TLC/£ to make it start, drive and stop as designed. At 18yo, I've got no real complaints about it.
Agreed, newer cars are so complicated now that they should only be bought with comprehensive manufacturer warranty, and beyond that should be left alone until an enthusiast has put everything right and it's treated like a weekend toy, with the optimistic hope that the depreciation curve has flattened off and it might even attract classic car status and be an investment.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: 20 November 2020, 18:15:08 »

Agreed, newer cars are so complicated now that they should only be bought with comprehensive manufacturer warranty, and beyond that should be left alone until an enthusiast has put everything right and it's treated like a weekend toy, with the optimistic hope that the depreciation curve has flattened off and it might even attract classic car status and be an investment.
can't think of any mainstream modern (2005 onwards) car Sub £50,000 that  would reach "classic car status and be an investment"  :-\
there will be owners clubs and cars that have a cu*t following (make your own choice of letter to substitute the *)  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 20 November 2020, 18:38:14 »

Classic cars that can't be driven unless you refine your own fuel.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: 20 November 2020, 19:04:21 »

Classic cars that can't be driven unless you refine your own fuel.
moonshine  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: 20 November 2020, 19:07:47 »

Electrify it with lots of batteries and a diesel generator running off soy butter/chip juice... And the fuel is tax free as it doesn't actually drive anything, especially if it also powers your house/provides heat 8)

Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: 20 November 2020, 19:09:19 »

Electrify it with lots of batteries and a diesel generator running off soy butter/chip juice... And the fuel is tax free as it doesn't actually drive anything, especially if it also powers your house/provides heat 8)
Wouldn't it be simpler to run the car off soy butter/chip juice and cut out the middle man.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 20 November 2020, 19:20:36 »

i'm sure i read somewhere ,or got told (accountants in the family) that if you use over a certain amount of veg oil to run a car then you are meant to pay tax on it  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: 20 November 2020, 19:23:29 »

Wouldn't it be simpler to run the car off soy butter/chip juice and cut out the middle man.
Wot Dave said ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: 20 November 2020, 19:31:20 »

i'm sure i read somewhere ,or got told (accountants in the family) that if you use over a certain amount of veg oil to run a car then you are meant to pay tax on it  :-\
It's a classic, 1000 miles a year should be fine.
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: 20 November 2020, 19:45:30 »

It's a classic, 1000 miles a year should be fine.

You sound just like the the morons at the FBHVC deliberately weakening their own arguments a few years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 92   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.